Maybe Dooney is underrated..

What is it that irritates you about the Edie...?

All the ones I’ve examined had like...laser cutouts or whatever, entirely too ‘busy’ for me but I figured a smooth leather one might be nice...is it hard to get in/out of..? Looks like maybe...
Ther is nothing wrong with the Edie31 I received yesterday. It was a phone order. I requested of the saleswomen at Macys to check the back for an Edie in original packaging. I was surprised to find the attached price tag to reflect the current sale of 40% off and yet be in the original packaging The bag is undoubtedly beautiful. It is very light, even with my things in it. However, I don’t consider it a classic style. It has been around for years now. The bag’s organization can’t compare to my Brielle. When it comes down to it, I guess I rather spend that $200 on a Dooney.

Reactions: Dooneysta
What is it that irritates you about the Edie...?

All the ones I’ve examined had like...laser cutouts or whatever, entirely too ‘busy’ for me but I figured a smooth leather one might be nice...is it hard to get in/out of..? Looks like maybe...

I love the three compartment style. Wallet secure in center with easy access to sunnies, phone in outer 2 sections.
That being said:
Some versions have shorter straps than other making it a challenge to get over coat.
Pockets are in different locations on different styles which requires some adjusting.
Different materials make for different weights. The heavier ones are more luxe but heavier to carry.
Dooney quality is slipping in my opinion. Could be just the ones I have come across lately. Leathers are just as sturdy as ever, but heavy. Dye not stable on some of the mid range leathers resulting in transfer. Mainly from the brown handles.
Seems to me each brand is a guessing game anymore whether you receive a gem or a lemon.

I love the three compartment style. Wallet secure in center with easy access to sunnies, phone in outer 2 sections.
That being said:
Some versions have shorter straps than other making it a challenge to get over coat.
Pockets are in different locations on different styles which requires some adjusting.
Different materials make for different weights. The heavier ones are more luxe but heavier to carry.
Dooney quality is slipping in my opinion. Could be just the ones I have come across lately. Leathers are just as sturdy as ever, but heavy. Dye not stable on some of the mid range leathers resulting in transfer. Mainly from the brown handles.
Seems to me each brand is a guessing game anymore whether you receive a gem or a lemon.
See, I love a heavy leather...it’s got a more ‘luxe’ connotation, as you say, plus it just ‘seems’ like you’re getting more for your money.
Like way back in the day when I was getting high school/college class rings...even then I was like, why is my ring, a tiny narrow size 5, the same price as a man’s ring that looks like a damn Super Bowl ring?? Shouldn’t five grams of gold cost less than a quarter pound?:giggle: The ladies got ripped off!
So I always feel good about a heavy bag; how can I be getting ripped off, have you hucked this thing onto your arm??!?:angel:
As for transfer, I haven’t had any lately, but yes, it might well be certain styles or leather batches or certain workshops. It ideally shouldn’t be happening anywhere but nowadays every company lets it in, yes.

See, I love a heavy leather...it’s got a more ‘luxe’ connotation, as you say, plus it just ‘seems’ like you’re getting more for your money.
Like way back in the day when I was getting high school/college class rings...even then I was like, why is my ring, a tiny narrow size 5, the same price as a man’s ring that looks like a damn Super Bowl ring?? Shouldn’t five grams of gold cost less than a quarter pound?:giggle: The ladies got ripped off!
So I always feel good about a heavy bag; how can I be getting ripped off, have you hucked this thing onto your arm??!?:angel:
As for transfer, I haven’t had any lately, but yes, it might well be certain styles or leather batches or certain workshops. It ideally shouldn’t be happening anywhere but nowadays every company lets it in, yes.

All true.
Class ring prices are just WRONG. 2 daughters in the last 10 years. Don’t want to hear of those companies ever again!
The newer Florentine and Alto lines certainly feel luxe.
The finishing on the two I saw didn’t make me want to plunk down my money even though the leather smelled DIVINE.
The AWL line was driving me crazy. The bag itself was just as awesome as ever, but the handles were a mess. Returned 3. I assume it was just a bad batch.
The DB colors are always spot on for the season and the zippers always work.
I would never rule them out.

All true.
Class ring prices are just WRONG. 2 daughters in the last 10 years. Don’t want to hear of those companies ever again!
The newer Florentine and Alto lines certainly feel luxe.
The finishing on the two I saw didn’t make me want to plunk down my money even though the leather smelled DIVINE.
The AWL line was driving me crazy. The bag itself was just as awesome as ever, but the handles were a mess. Returned 3. I assume it was just a bad batch.
The DB colors are always spot on for the season and the zippers always work.
I would never rule them out.
Oy! Well thank you for the review of the AWL reboot; I hadn’t tried any, because the photography didn’t wow me on the site. Now I’ll be sticking to vintage maybe...don’t bone up AWL, Dooney. Please.

Completely agree! I see way more MK than anything, I live in a college town in New Hampshire. I go to the malls sometimes in Massachusetts and I swear every girl in there between the ages of 13 and 25 has the EXACT same MK bag haha. You look across the food court and it's a sea of metallic patent leather. I haven't seen an AWL Dooney in what seems like forever, last time I can remember was in high school almost 10 years ago but I can't get myself to buy anything else. Like all Dooney lovers I just love the quality!

As a long time lover of Coach, I agree on DB having the quality leathers for a lower price point. I have become a Coach 1941 snob, but with those better quality bags comes higher price tags. Currently I am stalking the Cameron satchel in red, because I've been itching for a red bag and Dooney does that color beautifully. Plus, at $298, it's much easier on the wallet.

As a long time lover of Coach, I agree on DB having the quality leathers for a lower price point. I have become a Coach 1941 snob, but with those better quality bags comes higher price tags. Currently I am stalking the Cameron satchel in red, because I've been itching for a red bag and Dooney does that color beautifully. Plus, at $298, it's much easier on the wallet.
Dooney has beautiful red handbags and red Florentine leather is among the nicest. Maybe it's because we haven't seen red in a while, but now it seems especially inviting.

Can anyone help guide this new member on how to authenticate a D&B bag? It seems that I'm not allowed to post a new thread or subject yet, and I honestly don't know where I'm going here. I know I'm supposed to look at previous threads for authentication, but there's a gazillion! I'm not an expert on DB but not a complete newbie either. Something about this bag doesn't seem right (especially the lining) but other features seem authentic. View attachment 3988535 View attachment 3988536 Thanks to anyone who can lead me in the right direction! ( have lots of pics)

Can anyone help guide this new member on how to authenticate a D&B bag? It seems that I'm not allowed to post a new thread or subject yet, and I honestly don't know where I'm going here. I know I'm supposed to look at previous threads for authentication, but there's a gazillion! I'm not an expert on DB but not a complete newbie either. Something about this bag doesn't seem right (especially the lining) but other features seem authentic. View attachment 3988535 View attachment 3988536 Thanks to anyone who can lead me in the right direction! ( have lots of pics)
Welcome! You can post your authentication requests in the link below but make sure you read post one and follow the directions on how to post and what kind of pictures you need. The authentication thread is set up for this which does not require you to start a new thread. Best to you!
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-dooney-bourke.118342/

Okay, I do think Dooney's are underrated, but I have noticed some things about Dooneys. They look high class, quality, and practical - that whole understated equestrian thing stands out more and more as the bag wears in. But for that reason, imho, a Dooney is not going to dress up a casual or even, dare I say, frumpy outfit. I think a Dooney is a gorgeous workhorse bag. But I don't think it's going to magically glam up a casual outfit the way high end luxury bags can. It's just something I was noticing especially recently - I've been going to conferences where I see the same people, and some carrying Dooneys. I think with a workhorse like that - you need to keep it clean and conditioned, or accept that it looks more like something outdoorsy than professional. Yikes, the florentine satchel in natural I keep seeing looks like it needs to actually be kept in a stable, it needs some cleaning and conditioning! Just my opinion. No snark intended, just don't think the wearer of the bag realizes that it looks sad rather than beautiful.

Okay, I do think Dooney's are underrated, but I have noticed some things about Dooneys. They look high class, quality, and practical - that whole understated equestrian thing stands out more and more as the bag wears in. But for that reason, imho, a Dooney is not going to dress up a casual or even, dare I say, frumpy outfit. I think a Dooney is a gorgeous workhorse bag. But I don't think it's going to magically glam up a casual outfit the way high end luxury bags can. It's just something I was noticing especially recently - I've been going to conferences where I see the same people, and some carrying Dooneys. I think with a workhorse like that - you need to keep it clean and conditioned, or accept that it looks more like something outdoorsy than professional. Yikes, the florentine satchel in natural I keep seeing looks like it needs to actually be kept in a stable, it needs some cleaning and conditioning! Just my opinion. No snark intended, just don't think the wearer of the bag realizes that it looks sad rather than beautiful.
All handbags, and shoes, need care. Dooney handbags may hold up well for years, but like anything else, we need to take care of our accessories and clothing. No matter what the price, a shabby handbag doesn't look very upscale... it can be made of the finest leather, trimmed in pure gold, but if it's dirty or scratched, it won't look rich.

I see a few DBs where I live. Not as many as MK (1st) or Coach (2nd) but they're not rare to see. I find other contemporary brands like KS, RM and Tory Burch to be a lot more rare in my neck of the woods (NW Ohio).