May sound silly but.....

^ My guess is Twice as Many! :lol: :upsidedown:

I'm sure I butchered "Balenciaga" as well...I just remember the other part b/c I was embarrassed saying it...but I didn't know what else I could say. I doubt they knew what I was talking about until I got to the Kate Moss part.

Maybe "Lay Dee" like "Lady"? I don't know...am I suppose to drop the "x" sound as it's the last letter? :shrugs:

here, people (including the SAs) call it...

"Ba-long-cee-ah-ga" :smile:

i guess it's more like a european pronunciation...

Only if it is in French. Balenciaga is a Spanish name, so it really ought to be "bah-lehn-thi-ah-gah", but usually pronounced by English speakers as "bah-lehn-see-ah-gah".

Not a silly question at all!!! There's definitely no such thing here :love:

I didn't say it aloud for a very long time myself :Push: and I'm glad you asked the question I think all of us have asked ourselves before!!!
I think it's so interesting to read how dialect affects pronunciation-- one of the local SA's here in Alabama called it "Bally-in-kay-uh-guh"... gotta love the south, where we thrown in extra syllables just because we can!

Hmmm... I thought matelasse would be pronounced "mah-teh-LAHS"

fiat, there should actually be an acute accent mark on the last e of matelasse. So, the pronunciation would be mat-leh-SEH.

trama and fromparis, where are you ladies?! Perhaps you would like to chime in? If memory serves this old lady right, I think that our French-speaking ladies might've discussed this once before... :smile:

Not a silly question at all!!! There's definitely no such thing here :love:

I didn't say it aloud for a very long time myself :Push: and I'm glad you asked the question I think all of us have asked ourselves before!!!
I think it's so interesting to read how dialect affects pronunciation-- one of the local SA's here in Alabama called it "Bally-in-kay-uh-guh"... gotta love the south, where we thrown in extra syllables just because we can!

That's funny, TT! The mother of a dear friend of mine hails from Georgia, and calls Talbots 'Talberts'. Apparently, everyone in Savannah calls the shop Talberts...

I still don't know how to pronounce this one: "Le Dix"

Back in '01 when I was calling every store in NYC trying to find the Black Bag Kate Moss was wearing every magazine, it went a little something like this, "Hi, I'm wondering if you carry the Lay Dicks bag that Kate Moss is carrying in Harpers Bazaar?" :roflmfao:

Good Morning RealDeal (well...at least here!)!

FlatFlux just about has it (no offence, of course FF!! :nogood:)

We Canucks have to deal with this stuff all the time and HAVE to take French right through school and have to deal with a bi-lingual country, including (but not limited to.../ LOL) language, labels, TV/Radio etc. SO...that's the only reason I'm being rude and anal enough to correct the always helful FlatFlux.

It should actually be "LE (as in rhymes with the beginning of "Foot....think of that word without the "t" and change the "f" to an "l") and then DEE".

LAY Dee would be plural...as in "Les Dix".

Okay, now I sound like a moronic French nerd. Back to the dicks. Er....husbands. :P

Well, I'm just SO GLAD that the three of us could make you all ROLL with laughter!:nogood: That abbreviations thread was really helpful, thanks! This blogging thing is kinda new to me, so I'm trying to pick everything up and look like I totally know what I'm doing!:s