Workplace Maximum amount of pages for resume

Nathalya

Aug 16, 2009
I've got a question. I recently graduated (BBA) and updated my resume. I've been looking online for tips regarding content and design and everywhere I'm reading that it should be 1 page maximum.

Eventhough I don't have a lot of experience, I have done several internships and part time/ student jobs relevant for the jobs I want to apply for and my resume is 1,5/ 2 page long (I included the most important jobdetails in stead of only job title). Is it really that big of a deal?

Congratulations on your degree!

Even with several part-time jobs and internships, you should be able to fit everything on 1 page. Each job/internship can have 2-3 accomplishments in bullet format. Omit unnecessary content such as an objective, list of coursework, and "references available upon request"

I don't know hiring customs in Europe but imagine, at the fresh graduate level regardless of location, recruiters and hiring managers tend to "skim" resumes. For a fresh grad's resume, anything over 1 page may be a turn off.

This is a good article generally applicable to the US and I imagine other countries too.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20130716133441-7668018-is-your-resume-6-second-worthy

And another infographic from someone now in London:
http://theundercoverrecruiter.com/infographic-recruiters-spend-5-7-seconds-reading-your-cv/

Best wishes to you in your job search!

When I review resumes, the first page is the most crucial. The first page decides whether I read the rest or not. I think the one page rule is overhyped; one recruiter I knew put it best, "We have Word and Ctrl+F."

I do notice, though, for recent graduates who's resumes are over a page, a tendency to list too much. Be sure to tailor it to each specific opening and remove anything else. You can go into more of your experience in an interview.

1 page for every 10 years of experience

Sorry but I have to disagree on this. I have reviewed many CVs that are a little longer than this guideline suggested and hired great employees. The most important thing is to get the first page right. If it's a little longer and goes to 2nd and beyong, it's not a huge issue at all.

Hi there, we've looked at a lot of resumes in my department over the past half year. Less than 10% were over one page, even those who had 10+ years in their field. I'd really, really try to shrink it down to 1 page. I personally never go over one page and I also had internship/co-op experience to put on my resume when I graduated undergrad.

Better safe than sorry and go with 1 page!

My resume is 2 pages. I have no idea how I could possibly reduce my work experience, education and certifications down to 1 page. I haven't had problems getting interviews. Maybe it depends on the line of work/position.

Maybe as a recent grad, 1 page is sufficient, unless all of your previous experience is relevant to the positions you are applying for. Like others said, first page is the most important.

Last edited:
If you're a recent graduate and your resume is more than one page, then you really need to learn how to edit and format. I have 20 years' experience in my industry along with publications, presentions, and patents and I am able to keep my resume to two pages.