Workplace Maximum amount of pages for resume

Nathalya

Aug 16, 2009
Europe
I've got a question. I recently graduated (BBA) and updated my resume. I've been looking online for tips regarding content and design and everywhere I'm reading that it should be 1 page maximum.

Eventhough I don't have a lot of experience, I have done several internships and part time/ student jobs relevant for the jobs I want to apply for and my resume is 1,5/ 2 page long (I included the most important jobdetails in stead of only job title). Is it really that big of a deal?

redney

Lovin' Life!
O.G.
Apr 21, 2006
Congratulations on your degree!

Even with several part-time jobs and internships, you should be able to fit everything on 1 page. Each job/internship can have 2-3 accomplishments in bullet format. Omit unnecessary content such as an objective, list of coursework, and "references available upon request"

I don't know hiring customs in Europe but imagine, at the fresh graduate level regardless of location, recruiters and hiring managers tend to "skim" resumes. For a fresh grad's resume, anything over 1 page may be a turn off.

This is a good article generally applicable to the US and I imagine other countries too.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20130716133441-7668018-is-your-resume-6-second-worthy

And another infographic from someone now in London:
http://theundercoverrecruiter.com/infographic-recruiters-spend-5-7-seconds-reading-your-cv/

Best wishes to you in your job search!

leechiyong

Sep 3, 2013
When I review resumes, the first page is the most crucial. The first page decides whether I read the rest or not. I think the one page rule is overhyped; one recruiter I knew put it best, "We have Word and Ctrl+F."

I do notice, though, for recent graduates who's resumes are over a page, a tendency to list too much. Be sure to tailor it to each specific opening and remove anything else. You can go into more of your experience in an interview.

Mar 26, 2009
1 page for every 10 years of experience
Sorry but I have to disagree on this. I have reviewed many CVs that are a little longer than this guideline suggested and hired great employees. The most important thing is to get the first page right. If it's a little longer and goes to 2nd and beyong, it's not a huge issue at all.

Jan 4, 2009
San Francisco
^^ I agree.
I've had it beaten into my brain repeatedly from countless sources that a recent graduate should never ever have a resume longer than a page.

Coronet

Mar 16, 2010
Philly, PA, USA
Hi there, we've looked at a lot of resumes in my department over the past half year. Less than 10% were over one page, even those who had 10+ years in their field. I'd really, really try to shrink it down to 1 page. I personally never go over one page and I also had internship/co-op experience to put on my resume when I graduated undergrad.

Better safe than sorry and go with 1 page!

MASEML

O.G.
Nov 25, 2008
My resume is 2 pages. I have no idea how I could possibly reduce my work experience, education and certifications down to 1 page. I haven't had problems getting interviews. Maybe it depends on the line of work/position.

Maybe as a recent grad, 1 page is sufficient, unless all of your previous experience is relevant to the positions you are applying for. Like others said, first page is the most important.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2008
If you're a recent graduate and your resume is more than one page, then you really need to learn how to edit and format. I have 20 years' experience in my industry along with publications, presentions, and patents and I am able to keep my resume to two pages.