Max Mara Teddy COAT - IS IT STILL A THING?

Someone asked what the original icon Teddy was made of - her is picture of the inside tag
Thanks for posting this picture! I've been looking at a lot of used Teddy coats on *bay and Vestaire and I can't tell what is authentic.
Here is a picture from a current auction, they are claiming that the coat is 1st generation Teddy but it looks different from your tag. So is this a good fake?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 3.50.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 3.50.24 PM.png
    540.4 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: TankerToad
Thanks for posting this picture! I've been looking at a lot of used Teddy coats on *bay and Vestaire and I can't tell what is authentic.
Here is a picture from a current auction, they are claiming that the coat is 1st generation Teddy but it looks different from your tag. So is this a good fake?
No idea
Bought mine at MaxMara in Venice in Spring 2019.

I just bought this one by Swedish brand Stand Studio (would have loved the camel colour, went with the black...picture is in navy). I got a very good deal on it, nearly 2/3 off when it never went on sale in the classic colours on the brand's website. But also, when I first ordered my size that thing went down to my ankles, my hands were gone and the shoulders were at my ellbows. I finally ordered two sizes too small so it would look like pictured.

cd27e6b0b660ca3ed9dbf5a4a607e9b4.jpg

Hello, I'm thinking of ordering the 101801. coat in the smallest size. I read some horrible reviews on trust pilot though... and was wondering if these coats are worth the money despite their non responding customer service. Is it difficult to get your money back if you return the items?

I'm debating getting the teddy but all pictures I see online are of influencers and celebrities that are 6ft tall and super skinny. Does that coat look good on curvy women? I'm 5'8'' and a US size 10. I think I'd go for a size S since I wouldn't want it to be too oversized, just slightly.

I just bought the grey Teddy in XS. I am 5“2‘ and really petite.
I love love love the Teddy, but as the others say, it was really difficult to assess how it will look on me based on mainly influencer photos (mainly tall and as someone already mentioned the coat usually is open to show off the outfit underneath…)!

I was hesitant to buy it in S, because it already looked huge on the much taller influencer, but reevaluated the XS because I really wanted the coat.

XS actually fits well. The arm length is perfect for the, of course the body is still oversize, but that is the style and I actually like the eggshape alot.

I ended up going twice into the actual Max Mara shop and tried different sizes and color. I initially wanted grey, but was unsure after trying one in tabacco (I think? Slightly darker than the usual camel.). And they did not had the grey in XS in store. I was difficult to decide if the coat was the correct color, but the wrong size (I tried M). After ordering one in XS, I tried both and I decided the grey one fits me better (and also probably suits my wardrobe better) as I already suspected before.

If you want one and if you can, definetely visit a store for an actual try on! The SAs were also superhelpful and not pushy.

2DF9C76E-8318-4CF8-968B-3BD363536A0B.jpeg

About the dupes. Because that coat is just superexpensive, I have tried dupes before to try that kind of style on me.
The Max Mara one is sooo much better! It is superlight and the shape is much more flattering.

I have a pretty nice one from Stand Studio (Maria coat), one from Apparis and one from Tommy Hilfiger and while their shape is nice, it was not so flattering and the Stand Studio coat in XS is still somehow too big on me. Also, they are much heavier and bulkier to move in (worst one Tommy Hilfiger - superstiff and bulky).
Somehow weird as the Max Mara Teddy looks superbulky, but really is light and easier to move in. Finally figured I should sell those and get the one I really want if it fits me.

I am happy I finally got a fitting one and hope it will serve me good and I will love it for a long time!

A few question though:
What do you do when it is raining? Is the Teddy sensitive to rain or is it not a problem?
Do you treat it with water repellant? E.g. Collonil?

I just bought the grey Teddy in XS. I am 5“2‘ and really petite.
I love love love the Teddy, but as the others say, it was really difficult to assess how it will look on me based on mainly influencer photos (mainly tall and as someone already mentioned the coat usually is open to show off the outfit underneath…)!

I was hesitant to buy it in S, because it already looked huge on the much taller influencer, but reevaluated the XS because I really wanted the coat.

XS actually fits well. The arm length is perfect for the, of course the body is still oversize, but that is the style and I actually like the eggshape alot.

I ended up going twice into the actual Max Mara shop and tried different sizes and color. I initially wanted grey, but was unsure after trying one in tabacco (I think? Slightly darker than the usual camel.). And they did not had the grey in XS in store. I was difficult to decide if the coat was the correct color, but the wrong size (I tried M). After ordering one in XS, I tried both and I decided the grey one fits me better (and also probably suits my wardrobe better) as I already suspected before.

If you want one and if you can, definetely visit a store for an actual try on! The SAs were also superhelpful and not pushy.

View attachment 5215607

About the dupes. Because that coat is just superexpensive, I have tried dupes before to try that kind of style on me.
The Max Mara one is sooo much better! It is superlight and the shape is much more flattering.

I have a pretty nice one from Stand Studio (Maria coat), one from Apparis and one from Tommy Hilfiger and while their shape is nice, it was not so flattering and the Stand Studio coat in XS is still somehow too big on me. Also, they are much heavier and bulkier to move in (worst one Tommy Hilfiger - superstiff and bulky).
Somehow weird as the Max Mara Teddy looks superbulky, but really is light and easier to move in. Finally figured I should sell those and get the one I really want if it fits me.

I am happy I finally got a fitting one and hope it will serve me good and I will love it for a long time!

A few question though:
What do you do when it is raining? Is the Teddy sensitive to rain or is it not a problem?
Do you treat it with water repellant? E.g. Collonil?
The new version is reversible with a waterproof lining!

Tried on two teddys and ended up getting the camel. Loved both though, it was a tough decision.

Both look great! And both are fantastic and versatile colors anyway.

I wore mine a few times out now and I love it! It is so lightweight and warm, I wanna wear it all the time. I also love the length of the arms. The oversize dupes mostly have very oversized length for the arm part and because I am petite the coat then just look too oversize or plain too large on me. The body of the Max Mara Teddy is oversize, but all the proportions are just right…!

5B69EEBA-0DD9-4835-9489-87E5A4341E20.jpeg

Fellow teddy lover, I would love to hear how you care for your coats to stay beautiful over time!
Any special treatments or things you are careful about?

Reactions: meowmeow and Ici
@Jayne1

Im also in Toronto. Yes very different styles. I think overall cg will get more wear. Once we start getting slush and salt i don’t see myself wearing the teddy very much.
Oh, that's a good point.

Also, the Teddy so special, I might not want to sit on a subway seat or be casual with it. (Not that I've been back on the subway yet... )

I do love that camel though.