Maurice White, founder of Earth, Wind & Fire has died

Aug 31, 2009
Earth, Wind & Fire founder Maurice White dead at 74

By The Associated Press February 4, 2016 5:41 pm

NEW YORK (AP) —
Maurice White, the founder and leader of Earth, Wind & Fire, has died.

White died at home in Los Angeles on Wednesday, said his brother, Verdine White. He was 74.

A former session drummer, White founded Earth, Wind & Fire in the late 1960s. The group sold more than 90 million albums worldwide, displaying a flashy and eclectic musical style that incorporated his influences from growing up in Memphis, Tennessee, and at the influential Chicago music labels Chess and Okeh.

The band’s many hits included “September,” ”Shining Star,” a cover of the Beatles’ “Got to Get You into My Life” and “Boogie Wonderland.”

Earth, Wind & Fire won six Grammys and was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2000.

Attachments

• maurice white.jpg
    maurice white.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 173
  • maurice white2.jpg
    maurice white2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
TMZ reports

Maurice died in L.A. after a long battle with Parkinson's. He was diagnosed in 1992 and his condition deteriorated in recent months. The disease had progressed to the point he was forced to stop touring with the band 1994.

The band had a string of hits, including "Shining Star," "September," "Boogie Wonderland," and "After the Love has Gone."

In 2000, the band was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Maurice was individually inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2010.

Maurice's brother, Verdine, is also a band member.

Although Maurice wasn't touring, he remained involved in the decisions regarding the band.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2016/02/04/maurice-white-earth-wind-and-fire-dead/#ixzz3zF6eJ2Bc

Attachments

• maurice white3.jpg
    maurice white3.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 194
  • maurice white4.jpg
    maurice white4.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 163
What a loss to music! Fantastic band with so many great contributions to the music world. They're even more amazing live in person.

So many losses to entertainment/arts and it's only February.

I saw them in concert a few years ago with my teenage children, I was in my lare 40 early 50s, the people in fron of us were in their 60s, 70s even 80s. Who else gets that kibd of crowd?