Travel MAUI! tips - questions - advice

I have never stayed there although I have walked the grounds several times during our stays at the Four Seasons next door. The hotel is grandiose and reminds me of something "Disney-esk" although I haven't been to anything Disney related since I was 13- simply because it is huge, the grounds are huge, there are gardens, waterfalls, a large lobby with a bar in the center, big interlocking pools with hidden artificial rock spas and "river-like" swimming pools between larger swimming pools etc. It has restaurants with themes- and enough buildings to be called a village. If it was part of Disneyland it might be called "Hawaii-land". In comparison to the Four Seasons the Grand Wailea is a "louder" hotel- less understated, less low key, more into activities, fun and better for families - hence there are usually more children at this hotel than at the Four Seasons. If you are looking for a peaceful "leave us alone we're necking" sort of vacation where you feel like the only guest and get all the attention I might consider looking into the newly renovated Ritz Carlton, or the Four Seasons. If you like activities and a "fun" atmosphere - like you're at a four star water park party - then go to the Grand Wailea. I have never stayed there- so I have no idea how fabulous the rooms may or may not be. Check tripadvisor.com for that information. Also you should know that the only beach along that strip is shared by like 4 hotels- it is not that crowded, but don't expect to be the only ones on a deserted Hawaiian strip etc. I am not sure the Grant Wailea does beach service - you might check.

We've stayed at 4 different places in the Wailea area, including the Grand Wailea. Their rooms are standard decent size, big bathrooms. Price at the wonderful 4S will be much higher, but the service and calm atmosphere comes with that higher price. At the Grand W. if you want a room that has a view of the ocean, specify that because in some of the towers unless you are above a certain floor, other buildings will block your view. Last time we were there, they added a resort fee! WTH? It's a resort--how is that not included in the room rate??

For the best rate, I like Peace 43's suggestions. Check rates often and look at the trend. You can get a lot of info on TripAdvisor.com. I imagine the reservation agents are trained to pressure you into booking immediately.

congratulations!

Thanks everyone for your advice! I really appreciate it, coming from experienced vacationer's. I think I will take your advice and keep checking with travel sites. I'm only going to be there for the day before and after the wedding, so thanks for the other hotel suggestions too!

I also agree with the suggestion of the Four Seasons as a more elegant alternative to the Grand Wailea. It does have deals. Be careful though, they were renovating last year and it was quite noisy - bulldozers near the pool area. I suspect it will be done now.

Having said all this - I did host the dinner before the night of my wedding at the Humuhumunukunukuapu'aa (or however you spell that thing) at the Grand Wailea a few years ago. I think maybe I wanted some Disney atmosphere for at least one part of our wedding!

We ended up choosing to hold the wedding on a beach as the Maui scenery is so spectacular. Now we return to Maui pretty much every year. It is such a beautiful island.

I stayed there when I was little for my father's work. I just remember that it was really pretty and the pool was very cool. There was also a swim up bar which I thought was totally funny. I'm sorry this is a little off topic, but I just had to share. And congrats on your wedding!:woohoo:

I also agree with the suggestion of the Four Seasons as a more elegant alternative to the Grand Wailea. It does have deals. Be careful though, they were renovating last year and it was quite noisy - bulldozers near the pool area. I suspect it will be done now.

Having said all this - I did host the dinner before the night of my wedding at the Humuhumunukunukuapu'aa (or however you spell that thing) at the Grand Wailea a few years ago. I think maybe I wanted some Disney atmosphere for at least one part of our wedding!

We ended up choosing to hold the wedding on a beach as the Maui scenery is so spectacular. Now we return to Maui pretty much every year. It is such a beautiful island.

Haha, you get extra points for even trying to spell that! We ate there a couple times--it's very popular.

A few yrs ago my son and dil wanted to stay at the 4S for their honeymoon and they were renovating then. I think they said the pool area would be noisy because they tore down the previous poolside restaurant and were building a new one. So they were at it again last year, huh?

It wasn't the poolside restaurant this time, but something behind the pool area. It looks like maybe they were going to build some sort of loggia or something. They were still at the excavating stages last February.

My husband booked us a trip to Maui this coming June. This will be my first time to Maui and my second trip to Hawaii. We love spending time outside. I don't scuba dive but I'm open to any other outdoor adventures. I'm not too interested in shopping. I feel I can do that at home. I would love to hear any of your experiences. TIA!

the sunrise at haleakala and the road to hana are definitely things to see. there are definitely tons of outdoor activities to do on maui. hopefully someone who has done them can chime in on that.

There is a very nice restaurant in Kapalua called Merriman's that is right off Kapalua beach. That beach is really nice!!! There is also an aquarium on Maui if you would like to visit it. You can also do the zipline in different parts of Maui. I didn't do this but was researching it before my visit.

Have fun!!!

I’ve been to Maui twice – both times in June (to coincide with the Gucci summer sale :graucho: ). It’s a great time to go to Hawaii although many people think it’s a weird to go there in the summer. But you don’t have to fight the winter crowds and there is very little chance of rain (unless you are driving the Road to Hana).

Here are two of my favourite outdoor experiences:

Sailing Tour with Triology Excursions – I went on a snorkeling trip to Molokini with Trilogy. You said you don’t scuba dive, but if you snorkel, this is a great option. If not, you can do their whale-watching tour or sunset tour, which don’t involve diving. (http://www.sailtrilogy.com/)

There are lots of sailing charters in Maui, but Trilogy is one of the best, if not THE best. They get excellent reviews on Tripadvisor.

Ali Kula Lavender Farm – The farm is near Haleakala, so it’s possible to go to both places in the same day. You can either wander around on your own or book a short walking tour and learn all sorts of interesting facts about lavender and other plants grown on the farm. They also have a quaint gift shop featuring all things lavender. And the smell of the place is HEAVENLY. (http://www.aliikulalavender.com/)

I guarantee it won’t be your last trip to Maui. That island is truly paradise on earth! :heart:

I'm not sure if they are still doing the Haleakela downhill bike rides but dh and son loved it. Or just a drive up there and a hike into the crater (take it easy and bring lots of water).

Iao Needle State Park is a rain forest setting with some trails; very picturesque.

Can't help you with hiking in West Maui or info on the Ritz. We've always stayed in the Wailea area for better weather.

You'll have a ball!

My DH & I go back to Hawaii year after year & Maui is our favorite island. There's fantastic hiking trails on Maui! The best ones are located on the Hana highway!
Hana Highway Hikes heading towards Hana~
Mile marker 2,Twin Falls trail,approx 1 mile to the falls,easy but a sorry looking waterfall.
Mile marker 6,Na'ili'ili-haele Falls trail,4 separate falls along this trail,moderate to advance level hike.
Mile marker 10,Puohokama Falls, new fence prevents hikers but you can see it!
Mile Marker 13,Punalou Falls,strenuous as you have to hike towards the falls in the river/stream bed on slippery rocks.
Other hikes on Maui, Nakalele Blowhole,Wihe'e Valley Trail 4 mile round trip,The Infinity Pool (very beautiful).
You should definitely buy maui revealed by doughty & harriett friedman! We take there books every time we revisit Hawaii.
If you need great places to eat just let me know

YES - I stayed at the Ritz in Maui - what questions do you have?! The ritz in Maui is simple - peace. on. earth.

OMG, if you like sushi, do go to Sensei restaurant. At one of the locations, they have a sushi happy hour.... DH and I went there a couple of times and you can easily spend a ton of money but it is sooooooooo worth it!!!!!!