Matte or pebbled grey?

Which grey for BE Hold Me?

• Dark grey matte

• Shark grey pebbled

Results are only viewable after voting.

ETenebris

O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
I just discovered this sub-forum today, and when I saw the BE Hold Me I was instantly in love. I need a bag with little to no hardware in a classic design, so this is perfect. Now I have to decide on a leather...if anyone has bags (of any style) in the dark grey matte leather or the pebbled shark grey leather, please post them! Otherwise, I am open to suggestions. Does the shark grey have a brown/taupe undertone? I need something to go with creams and neutrals, including a variety of greys, and I would like a warm grey color. Thanks for your input, BE experts!

Dark grey matte:
200904173457312.jpg

Pebbled shark grey:
200952183449673.jpg

If you want a warmer tauper grey, there is a color called taupe that may suit your needs better. There are photos of taupe bags in the reference subforum.

If you're looking for a warm grey, what about the Taupe Matte? It's gorgeous and goes with pretty much anything. I also have the Dark Grey Matte which is one of my favs, but I'd say it's more a cool toned grey. Haven't seen the Pebbled Shark Grey so I can't comment on that one.

BTW ... I didn't vote, because my #1 choice would be the Taupe Matte if you're looking for a warm colour. You could always request a swatch of the Shark so you could see it in real life.

Now, if you're interested in Taupe Matte, I believe there is some Taupe Matte leather left with their 25% off leathers sale currently running on the website. You could email them to make sure its still available.

http://www.belenechandia.com/asp/info.asp?intUrlId=2&intId=296

This is the Taupe Matte:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Dark Grey Matte:
attachment.php

Attachments

• LM Dark Grey Back.jpg
    LM Dark Grey Back.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 417
  • Taupe_natural light close.jpg
    Taupe_natural light close.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 401
  • Taupe_natural light.jpg
    Taupe_natural light.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Is the shark grey a glossy pebbled? If it is, then it will wear so well! That leather breaks in so nice.

I don't think anyone has posted a reveal of a shark grey bag, although I love it.

The taupe is a good suggestion for a warmer/brown undertone.

I don't think it's a glossy leather...on the site it says "pebbled luxe leather" if that helps. The pebbled look is growing on me. That taupe bag is gorgeous, too. It doesn't seem far off color-wise from the dark grey. I used to have a Miu Miu Bow in the first season grey color called fumo, and it was the perfect "go with everything" color. I am looking for something similar to that.

I have the matte dark grey in a different style and think it isn't quite as cool toned as the shark grey. I feel like it has some brownish undertones? I have always felt like it had a lot of tonal variations. It's definitely one of my favorite BE leathers. I've included a couple of pictures where the bag is next to brownish tile and dark brown wood. That might help a little bit. Maybe the color reference library would also be helpful so you can see the taupe? I know many ladies here seem to really like that leather too.

grey midi1_0729 (Large).JPG

grey midi2_0740 (Large).JPG

I don't think it's a glossy leather...on the site it says "pebbled luxe leather" if that helps. The pebbled look is growing on me. That taupe bag is gorgeous, too. It doesn't seem far off color-wise from the dark grey. I used to have a Miu Miu Bow in the first season grey color called fumo, and it was the perfect "go with everything" color. I am looking for something similar to that.

Everyone calls it something different, it seems. I call it glossy pebbled, but same thing. There is a slight shine or shimmer to it. It's not loud at all, subtle, but really pretty. The pebbled leather is really so nice- it is my favorite BE leather. If you look at the reference library, there are quite a few photos of bags in the pebbled luxe or glossy pebbled or whatever everyone calls it!

suzi, your photos are breathtaking! I MUST have a bag in that color! What style is that? It is absolutely gorgeous. :drool:

elizat, you are right...I read a description of the leather and it does say it has a gloss to it. I wish someone had a photo of the shark grey, it looks amazing. I may have to have one of each! :nuts:

I like both the pebbled (aka glossy) and matte leathers.
IMO I think the matte leathers have more debth and variation in the colour than the pebbled and it just develops in time. The leather develops a sheen and richness. But the pebbled is more strechy and hardy in texture and the leather does not have the same tonal variations as the mattes and pretty much stays the same. The Shark is very much a neutral Grey.
I have the Hold me regular in the Grey matte and love it!! But I would chose the Shark should I want one in the maxi, but this is me! I can be a bit hard with my bags and I would use the maxi a bit more rough than I do with the regular size. And the pebbled will stand for this use. I see it with the Clementine pebbled maxi, that it still looks pristine ;)
I'll take pics later today..and I have a swatch of the Shark to compare with the Taupe and Grey matte.

Here are the promised pictures. I took them in various lights, so you get an idea :biggrin:
no1..Taupe and Grey matte bags
no2..Dark Grey and Shark.. with North light
no3..Taupe, Dark grey with Shark..white background
no4..Taupe, Dark grey, Shark in sun
n05..Taupe, Dark grey , Shark w/ flash

Attachments

• P1010167.JPG
    P1010167.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 248
  • P1010166.JPG
    P1010166.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 245
  • P1010165.JPG
    P1010165.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 251
  • P1010164.JPG
    P1010164.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 250
  • P1010162.JPG
    P1010162.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 263
I prefer BE matte leathers as I do like the tonal variations but I agree with others that the pebbled leathers are more hard wearing and therefore might be better for the Hold Me style.

Hedwig..I agree with the fact, that the pebbled are very hardwearing...but I must also say, I love the five matte Hold me's I have, because to follow the change and "aging" in these, are of a great pleasure to me.This aspect I don't get with any of the pebbled bags I have.