Matelasse bag - total miss?

Balenciaga Matelasse bags?

• A total miss. Balenciaga should leave the Chanel-look alone.

• A total hit

• unsure.....

Results are only viewable after voting.

beauxgoris

O.G.
Mar 17, 2006
I've noticed a ton of these bags ALWAYS seem to be on "Boofly" - rain or shine they're ALWAYS there.

They were done for such a short time and I remember how hyped they were before they came out - but now it seems like I don't see them that often in PF'ers "collection photos". What do you think? Was this style a total miss or an under the radar (to be appreciated down the road) hit?

I'm not totally against quilted looks but I personally thought that this style didn't work with the whole moto look. You're either going to do one thing with the bag or another...the two ideas did not blend well for Bal's Matelasse in my opinion. The moto look is simple yet classic and deserves to be left alone.

I voted "Hit" although they don't work for me, it was the perfect B-bag intoduction for my mom who is in her 60's and wanted a more traditional look, but yet still edgy.

I'm not totally against quilted looks but I personally thought that this style didn't work with the whole moto look. You're either going to do one thing with the bag or another...the two ideas did not blend well for Bal's Matelasse in my opinion. The moto look is simple yet classic and deserves to be left alone.

I thought the same thing until I saw it IRL. The 2007 I got for my mom, has the best leather I've ever seen on any B-bag. The leather alone is like 3 inches thick.

I first saw them on eBay and then on August 28 I went to BalNY to go check out their Ruby bags. I did see it from a far (like about 3 feet, I didn't actually pick up the bag to inspect it) and I didn't like the style. I believe that Chanel came out with their quilted style a while back. Makes sense why your mom would like and appreciate it. I'm sure she looks fabulous with her new bag. I've seen a picture in the thread Celebrities and their Bbags where Rumor Moore is carrying one in black I believe. I thought it looked really good on her and almost reconsidered my original thought. But I looked at a picture of it online and instantly knew my instinct was right. I really don't like the look of the bag and I think that only a handful of people can pull it off. I personally know that I couldn't do it with that style. I am curious to know how Bal is doing with their Matelasse's and how many other Bal fans on this forum like it. So far in the pictures I have seen of TPFers showing us their Bal collections, I have yet to see a Matelasse. I'm sure I am mistaken since I haven't seen a ton of photos, but a couple of modeling pics couldn't hurt. I'm open minded. :smile:

I would never buy one because I don't really like how they look, they seem kind of weird shaped. But I can see that they would appeal to some people and the leather does always look nice on them.

I think they are a miss.

Balenciaga has mostly made "misses" when they try to revamp/update/glamourize (fashion magazine speak) what they do best. I also don't like the giant hw and the ladylike, softer styles that they've been coming up for the last couple of years.
First, City, Work and Day RH for me please! ;)

It's not for me but I won't go as far to say that they are a miss. We've all seen celebs and even our own PFers rocking them out in the photo threads haven't we?

Bal has made some weird (IMO) bags (lately the Chic - reminds me of a fanny pack with a shoulder strap)over the years and pulled some really popular styles (box, purse, mini mini until this season).

I own the Medium Matelasse in black and I love it! It is a totally different style from the Moto bags, but what I really like is the quilted-look and that they are very roomy! :tup: