Matching Your Coach with Company, Not Clothes...

TejasMama

O.G.
Mar 29, 2007
Do any of you find yourselves changing bags based upon WHO you're going to be around as opposed to simply what you're wearing?

For example, do you switch to a non-designer bag when you're around family or certain friends so you won't get 'the look' or 'the comment?'

I know we often match our bag to our attire, but do we match it to our company as well?

I think a lot of people do this! I personally, dont give a rats ass what anyone thinks! If give a snooty comment on my bag, they get a snooty comment right back! lol

I sort of do that, this summer when I went to my grandfathers funeral I was just carrying a wristlet, (all black) and I thought to myself, what the heck am I doing carrying a Coach wristlet. I somehow thought it was disrespectful. Maybe I'm just weird??

I haven't had anyone act snooty or say anything bad about my purses. I change them to match what I wear or by season. I used to have some Target purses that I could change out to but, now all my purses are Coach or Dooney & Burke.

I sort of do that, this summer when I went to my grandfathers funeral I was just carrying a wristlet, (all black) and I thought to myself, what the heck am I doing carrying a Coach wristlet. I somehow thought it was disrespectful. Maybe I'm just weird??

I don't think you're weird; I agree with what you're saying. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing it more out of respect, but I tend to switch stuff out to my loved but not designer bags. I just feel more comfortable being toned down at times.

Most of my bags are pretty nondescript anyway--leather, etc. I find that I will reach for a Target bag when I'm going to be around family or my kids' school because I feel I shouldn't draw any attention to myself. Maybe we are weird?

Depending on the situation I'll carry one of my less obvious leather bags rather than a signature bag. I do this when I'm not wanting to draw attention to myself. Some gals get all weird like, "IS THAT A COACH!?" :nuts: and I don't always want that sort of reaction at certain events.

i honestly dont care who likes/dislikes my bags. i dont own coach bags, but when i wear my coach shoes or scarf, people are always like:nuts:
same thing when i wear my LV's. no one has noticed my bbag though:crybaby:probably because most people where i live have no clue what balenciaga is. haha. poor unfortunate souls, its sad but true. lol

I live in an area where Coach is pretty much the norm (go into Costco and everyone and their mama is stylin coach!), so I don't think about it much. My friends make good money and are into name brands, so I have no qualms about using my Coach in front of them either!:wlae:

^^ Same here, Lorenzo! Lotsa lotsa Coach around here...for some it's the HG of bags and for others it's a yeah it's great and I love other designer bags too! (I fall into the latter category, LOL).

Sooooo...I love b&w sig Coach and if I wanna make a statement I wear it, otherwise I choose a black leather. My clay Gigi tote is great for work! I guess it doesn't depend on the company so much.

It DOES matter a little bit at work...I found out by accident. I love my new job and my new boss (who is about the same age as I). We have meetings to go to offsite occasionally, and the first time this happened I had my b&w chelsea satchel and she had a khaki sig shoulder bag (not sure the exact style). She made a comment like "...oh....we have the same purse." Other than them both being Coach sig I really didn't notice or care but she seemed a little weirded out. SO...when it is meeting day with boss offsite I make sure I don't bring a Coach sig bag to work that day.

Nah, Im just the opposite, especially w/certain members of my husbands family! If Im going to be around them (and there are A LOT of them!), I'll wear my most expensive purse on purpose. At some point they're going to talk about me anyway, so I might as well really give them something to talk about!

I have a tendency to not use my Coach when I'm around family and friends. Although, my family and friends make more money than I do, they don't seem to buy expensive name-brand stuff so I feel like they judge me in how I manage my money. Even tho I've never had debt and everything is paid for except for monthy mortgages on 2 homes that my DH and I own. It's probably just me feeling guilty for loving Coach! LOL

I really don't worry about it, because to everyone the grass is always greener. If they are jealous or mad about my Coach, imagine if they were me and were dreaming about Hermes!
A lot of people notice that I own and carry a lot of different Coach items (I do not have a lot of bags, but I have a ton of accessories and jewelry, and shoes and so I am always able to have something different on) but they are always more like 'that is really cute how you find Coach things that are different than what most girls here have', because while I love meeting fellow Coach-erinas, I love having stuff that other people around me do not. But I don't worry about it too much because I know other people somewhere else have my same items!

Point is nobody should get a big head about it, nor should they worry about making other people weird out about it.