Massai Cut 32 - yes or no?

lovelyan

Jul 10, 2013
Hi all, I need your advice. My current collection includes Kelly 28, Constance MM, Constance elan, Lindy 30, Bolide 27 and GP 30. So you can probably tell that I like small shoulder bags. I just encounter a Massai Cut 32 and wonder if I should get it. I like that it is simple and under the radar. But my concern is (1) Does it duplicate with my Lindy 30 in terms of functionality? (2) Is Massai Cut an outdated design given that it has not been seen in shops for more than a year?

Any comment is highly appreciated. TIA.

Hi all, I need your advice. My current collection includes Kelly 28, Constance MM, Constance elan, Lindy 30, Bolide 27 and GP 30. So you can probably tell that I like small shoulder bags. I just encounter a Massai Cut 32 and wonder if I should get it. I like that it is simple and under the radar. But my concern is (1) Does it duplicate with my Lindy 30 in terms of functionality? (2) Is Massai Cut an outdated design given that it has not been seen in shops for more than a year?

I love my MC 32 in etoupe in Clememce.I found mine in excellent condition and had looked for several years for it after having tried a beautiful orange swift in Las Vegas store. But at the time I did not want orange but a neutral. I even put in a request to my H store and I was told they were no longer making them. I find my MC the perfect bag for everyday and for work. i find the design is modern and quite architectural to me, as my work involves working with many clients in architecture. I always receive many compliments on it. I appreciate the two straps as well. The cross body option is super comfortable and practical for travel. I have no regrets in searching and finally getting this bag. What color and leather combination are you thinking? HTH and good luck!

Reactions: wenhuy
Ultraviolet in evercolor leather.
Can you get your things out of the bag without taking it off the shoulder? I used to have a So Kelly and sold it because I want a bag that I can get things in and out without taking it off the shoulder.

I have a MC in Gris T clemance, I like that it has cross body and shoulder options, in that sense I do not believe that it is a substitute for the lindy. I think of it as a substitute for the evelyn, the sizes are more similar. As to it being an outdated design, only you can decide this.:flowers:

Reactions: wenhuy
I'm not as familiar with the Cut but I did just get a GM Massai over the summer from 1996, I'm not wearing it yet as it's black and not very summery but I absolutely love it. I looked at lots of Massai photos and feel that it's a very timeless design and goes well with current minimalist fashion which I find very appealing. I only wore my bag once so far and got a bunch of compliments in just a few hours and it's under the radar so I didn't feel self conscious as I might with a more obvious Hermes bag. Mine is very deep but I was able to reach in on my shoulder and find what I was looking for in the bag without taking it off. I don't have the cross body strap yet, I bought it separately but I think that will make it more challenging to reach into.

Ultra violet is such a beautiful color, I bet it's gorgeous. Please reveal it on the Massai thread if you get it!

Ultraviolet in evercolor leather.
Can you get your things out of the bag without taking it off the shoulder? I used to have a So Kelly and sold it because I want a bag that I can get things in and out without taking it off the shoulder.

It sounds lovely, but a surprising recent leather and color combination. Unless the MC has been reissued for production, I do not recall if ultraviolet was offered in that leather once production was halted several years ago. If you are buying from boutique be sure to check the year of production. The stamp will tell you when it was made and I'd be curious when the MC actually stopped production. If you are buying from a reseller or another source, you might want to be sure to authentic on the Authentication thread.

As for getting things in and out of the bag without taking it off the shoulder, with the shorter strap, I usually do not zip all the time, so it is easy for me to reach my cell phone. With cross body, I usually zip it and it is easier to access by zipping only one side. That makes the bag safer for traveling too.

Just to add though I know they stopped producing it I believe there are some still floating around in stock rooms. My SA thought she might have one in back stock and I know it was a Cut, I didn't ask color or details because I had just bought mine but now I'm curious to see how long it's been there!
Lovelyan, is it through the boutique?

Just to add though I know they stopped producing it I believe there are some still floating around in stock rooms. My SA thought she might have one in back stock and I know it was a Cut, I didn't ask color or details because I had just bought mine but now I'm curious to see how long it's been there!
Lovelyan, is it through the boutique?

No, it is not from shop but from an online seller. It is stamp P.

As far as I know the Massai Cut was a variation on the original Massai design. It's a shorter bag and in my opinion a more contemporary design than the original. (The original design idea was copied from the bags that the Massai tribesmen in Kenya carry.)

I've seen that exact bag at Hermes in Heathrow airport. So hermes has definitely produced them in the combination you're contemplating OP.

Though if buying from a reseller it'd be good for you to get it authenticated first.