Mascara tips please!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I don't know what happened in my life to cause me to be hopelessly addicted to mascara. It is either my best friend or my worst enemy.

I am blessed with naturally long eyelashes, and for a while I seemed to have my makeup routine down pretty pat, but lately it hasn't been the case. Over the years, the length of time it takes me to apply my mascara has slowly grown from just a few minutes to 30+ minutes! I am a little older now, and don't have the time or the patience to sit and do my makeup for a half an hour or more. Somedays I also feel like I look like a spider. My eyelashes never seem to point in the same direction, and need to be "molded" by my fingers. Somedays I only end up with around 8 eyelashes on each eye because they are so clumped together. Other days are just fine.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I don't know how to apply my mascara, and feel completely dependent on my makeup. I want to be able to feel pretty with just a touch of makeup on, and not sitting through my whole routine.

How do you apply your mascara? Any tips for me? I love the fake lash look, but good volumizing mascara always seems so clumpy. How do you stay clump free? I currently use Lancome Cils booster, and either Diorshow or YSL faux cils, along with a host of other random mascaras for different jobs.

Any tips would be much appreciated! Thank you!

2. my best advice is to invest (well not really invest since they are super cheap!) but get a metal (not plastic) comb eyelash separator. I use this one Tweezerman one but in black:

http://www.folica.com/Tweezerman_Fold_d629.html

I have long lashes, but they are super blonde. I use several coats of mascara, and in between each coat, I separate the lashes. Good luck! :smile:

3. I'm in a similar boat as you, jessie, in that I have very long eyelashes but being a dark blonde, my lashes are blonde at the roots and tips. I look like I have no eyes without mascara. Mascara can be your friend, I never leave the house with out it. I use a thickening mascara on the top lashes seperated with an eyelash comb. I pay special attention to the corners, since this where my eyelashes truly "disappear". I use a waterproof on my lower lashes because my eyes are somewhat teary and I HATE that racoon look. That told I put all my makeup on in 5-10 minutes! Just practice, practice! I like that new L'Oreal small round brush (sorry can't remember the name) for the corners and Cover Girl Lash Blast (orange tube) or definicils by Lancome (especially the waterproofbut also use the reg on top)for the rest. Oh and remember noone is looking that closely at each lash..just don't look like a mess when done!

4. I have long eyelashes as well and after a few years of going from brand to brand, I finally found the perfect one for me.

I use the Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler first for a few seconds. I use Chanel Exceptionnel De Chanel in EXTREME BLACK. The depth of black is amazing, no flakes or clumps, thickens and lengthens. The wand is a combination of comb and brush. It does not dry or set as fast as what Lancome or DiorShow does, so allows a few minutes of application. After I curl, I actually coat the top of my half closed eye(so I brush out from above), and go to the other eye and do the same. Then I open my eyes and brush from underneath. I DO NOT put any mascara on my lower lashes. The technique of applying on top allows a small deposit without the ghastly raccoon look.

I find that a simple curl with the curler is amazing before wearing Fake SMOKY LAYERS lashes by Shu Uemura. They are so soft and natural looking, you will not need any mascara at all, so they last for at least a dozen uses. They last all day and night and great to make your eyes pop in a beautiful way.
    :smile: