MA's Prey on insecurities to make a sale

I think every counter except for MAC (well around here) is friendly and helpful. Go to MAC and they act like you killed their puppy if you ask for help. So I only go if I want to see a shade or something and go home and buy it from the website.

To the OP, that's what they are supposed to do. It's called Suggestive selling. They can get in trouble and eventually get fired if they don't play upon your flaws. A $13 eyeliner could easily be turned into a concealer and mascara in a potential sale. Are you happy about your purchases?

When I trained with Lancome, we were encouraged to do our best to "build sales" because that is what we were hired to do; however, I was never told to play upon a customer's flaws. We were always told to point out how to enhance a person's features, so if the SA was being critical, it is probably her own sales technique.
As for suggestive selling, it is just the way it is...though Lancome calls it "product linkage". The goal is to link products so a customer goes away with the appropriate "power system." Lancome's website does the same thing. If you intend to buy a lipstick, the correct lipliner and lipgloss will appear to the side indicating that product's power system...or how to get the best look from that particular product.
The same thing happens with clothing...the Gap and BR has suggested numerous skirts to go with shirts, plus accessories.
Selling will always be selling...no matter where it happens.

I never had this happen to me. There was one time in NYC when a MA encouraged me to be more experimental after I mentioned that I wear the same colours everyday, but that's about it.