My BF and I have been dating for 3 years. 1st 6 months were great and in the same city. The past 2 1/2 years have been harder and have been long distance. I'm in residency and will graduate in 16 months. My BF is 2 years older than I am but in medical school and will graduate in 14 months. We've been talking about marriage and I think he's serious about me and I very much want to marry her. We've discussed getting engaged and marriage but there's a sizable problem that I think shouldn't be. He wants to get married in between his medical school and him starting residency (15-16 months from now), but I need to take my oral boards in 16 months and really should use my 2 weeks vacation time BEFORE my oral boards to study instead of afterwards to go on a honeymoon. See, my BF is Iranian and wants to go back and visit family. He's under a lot of pressure in his culture to get married by his extended family and even his parents, and although I admit it would be a great time for him to get married, it wouldn't work out well with my career. I'd prefer it 6 months to a year AFTER he graduates from med. school and I graduate from residency...like 22 to 28 months from now....I can take plenty of time off and he can take 2 weeks off and we can go to Iran for that part of the celebration then. To play devil's advocate, I could take the time off and slightly-moderately increase the risk of my failing my oral boards, but in any case that isn't very likely. Another reason I would like to wait for a bit longer (6-12 months) is I'd like to be in the same city for a while and see if we can do the same city thing and not just the long distance thing and see each other every 3-4 weeks on too-short weekends. But he's insistant and says either we need to be married by July 1st, 2008 or never. His family matters a lot to him and they were all counting on him to be married by the time medical school ends for him. I already agreed to find a job wherever he goes for residency and postpone my fellowship. My question is, is my BF being reasonable? What should I do? Just agree with his request to use my vacation time at the tail end of my residency to get married or stick with my plan for 6-12 months after that, when we're better off financially and have been back together in the same city for a while. Is this worth breaking up over? Thanks for your help!