Marked Handbag

laynee

Jan 17, 2009
Hi Ladies,

I purchased a Kate Spade Handbag from a friend of mine who has tons of them and sells some of her collection. One of the bags I like and she was selling had the label and tag inside the bag marked with a sharpie. I asked her why and she stated it's to prevent the item to be returned. Let's say you buy it for a great deal online and they want to prevent you to return it to a store for a full refund. I wasn't sure about that and did not buy that one (although it's so pretty and I really want it), but is that actually a thing? Has anyone heard that before? It still has the tags on it and I know she shops a lot at the outlets near San Antonio etc.

Just want to get another opinion before I hop on that one as well.

Thank you :heart:

Yes this is a somewhat common practice particularly if one company sells their old stock to another and that comes back on the marketplace for sale and to prevent people from trying to claim returns on the original store. I have some shirts from American Eagle I purchased at Winners (CDN TJ MAXX) and the tags are marked with a sharpie. Occasionally I’ve seen Gap and Zara items at Winners too and they do the same thing. Basically Winners is not the original retailer and purchased past seasons stock to sell at discount prices in their stores