Marcie Strap Issue

mills

O.G.
Feb 14, 2010
Hi Everyone,
Some of you may remember I recently (less than 2 months ago) purchased a Nude Pink Marcie. There was some confusion re the colour as my tag said "summer tan" however after conducting some investigation as a dedicated tpf member :biggrin: it turned out to be Nude Pink.
Anyway a couple of days ago I noticed the stitching where the shoulder strap attaches (the long one) to the bag, was coming apart. Obviously I was not happy and yesterday I took it back to the department store I purchased it to discuss my disappointment. The bag is about 6 weeks old and the first thing they suggested was they take it in for repair to a local repairer they use. As I havent had the bag for very long I wasnt too happy about this so I politely expressed my concern in paying so much money for a bag that 6 weeks later I should have to have repaired??? They asked me what I would like to do and I said preferably return based on a faulty item. When I initally bought the bag it was a bit dirty from sitting on the shelf and being handled so I did receive a discount at the time and was told "no return" based on the discount. The supervisor I was discussing this with yesterday is aware of this and she agreed that the original discount was for a separate issue and hence didnt effect the issue present now.
I was told they needed to keep my bag and take photos and send them off to their "supplier" who would determine whether a return/refund would be accepted.
they also asked me if I would accept a replacement and I said I would consider it however I would be needing to carry the bag by the longer strap quite frequently so I was now concerned about the durability etc.
So basically... they have my bag and I have been told they will get back to me in 4-5 days to discuss options.
My gut is telling me to push for a refund based on a faulty product but I'm not sure how this is going to end up and its worrying me.
Heres a pic....

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 761
I say follow your gut. If you don't trust the craftsmanship of the Marcie, then ask for a refund. I would take a replacement, but I did not have your experience, my opinion might be different if I did. I have the Marcie Hobo. I think their made well based on the purse I own and seen on the forum.

Last edited:
mills, that is very disappointing! I believe you got a fluke defect. I have the same medium marcie in black from 2012 and it is still going strong. I also load it up and use the strap too. I never thought that something like this would happen to the long strap, I was more concerned on the stress on the two shorter handles. I hope whatever you do you end up finding a great bag with great craftsmanship. I understand that paying the price for these bags we should be getting them in good working condition. So sorry this happened to you. Your marcie was beautful.

Sorry to hear that. I'd personally take replacement. there's a good chance they can locate it because it's a new colour. and this issue is not typical for Marcies, I never had problems with my bags, and I use long shoulder strap a lot. If you like the bag why not to take replacement. Refund is good too, but I have a feeling it's far more difficult to get a refund from retailer, especially for a discounted bag (even if it was not for the issue). SAs are on commission, getting replacement is a bit of extra work for them, issuing refund is losing their own money.

Yeah thanks everyone, you all make good points and I agree I think I've just been a bit unlucky that's all. It's good to hear others use the long strap frequently without any issues. I've had a Marcie hobo in the past and never had any issues with the strap and it was a beautiful bag, I do love the Marcie.
They are getting back to me so I'll discuss the replacement option with them I think.

Yeah thanks everyone, you all make good points and I agree I think I've just been a bit unlucky that's all. It's good to hear others use the long strap frequently without any issues. I've had a Marcie hobo in the past and never had any issues with the strap and it was a beautiful bag, I do love the Marcie.
They are getting back to me so I'll discuss the replacement option with them I think.

Marcies last long, I hope you can get a perfect bag as a replacement. I was no so lucky with my lost return, but it turned out really well, now I'm enjoying her:smile:

my 2012 marcie satchel is still going strong & I mostly carry her from the long strap. This bag has been used so often & not a single sign of wear!! No loose stitches, no scratches or scuffs or worn leather. Just soft smooshy, divine smelling leather! I did receive a lemon marcie from Nordstroms - it came to me in used, broken condition. I returned it & a month later purchased my current marcie with no issues.

Let us know what you end up doing!

Still no contact from the department store who was contacting their supplier. They said it may take 4 or 5 days. It's been over a week now, 8 working days, think I might call them to chase it up tomorrow.

So I thought I would update my strap issue story.... It doesn't end well unfortunately.
I gave the retailer 2 weeks (I was told initially they would contact me in a few days which they never did) and then called them to seek out where my bag was and what was happening. Well, after being put through to several people who had no idea what I was talking about I received a phone call back from a supervisor and she had finally found my "work order" number that I had quoted them (they gave it to me when I left the bag for them). I was told that "the bag will be back from the repairers tomorrow so you can come and get it". I had clearly stated and I had a copy of the work order where it was also clearly stated that as the bag was only 6 weeks old, I wasn't happy with a repair and either wanted replacement or refund. I was given a bit of a run around and they really pushed the repair and said I should come in the next day to view it and see what I thought. I was fairly unhappy by this point as not only had I stipulated, no repair, but now I found out they sent in in for repair without authorising that with me. Anyway, I told them I would continue to push for my refund (clearly replacement option was out by this point) as I wasn't trying to be a pain, but did need to stand up for my rights. They told me they would need to speak to their manager again and call me back in a few days. Well once I told my husband about this saga, he wasn't too impressed so he went in there and politely told them we had been given enough of a run around on a $2000 bag and hence he wanted the refund processed. It was done on the spot, no questions asked.
So... I am Marcie-less again, sad! But know it's the right thing in this case, I was really put off by the whole experience unfortunately.

So I thought I would update my strap issue story.... It doesn't end well unfortunately.
I gave the retailer 2 weeks (I was told initially they would contact me in a few days which they never did) and then called them to seek out where my bag was and what was happening. Well, after being put through to several people who had no idea what I was talking about I received a phone call back from a supervisor and she had finally found my "work order" number that I had quoted them (they gave it to me when I left the bag for them). I was told that "the bag will be back from the repairers tomorrow so you can come and get it". I had clearly stated and I had a copy of the work order where it was also clearly stated that as the bag was only 6 weeks old, I wasn't happy with a repair and either wanted replacement or refund. I was given a bit of a run around and they really pushed the repair and said I should come in the next day to view it and see what I thought. I was fairly unhappy by this point as not only had I stipulated, no repair, but now I found out they sent in in for repair without authorising that with me. Anyway, I told them I would continue to push for my refund (clearly replacement option was out by this point) as I wasn't trying to be a pain, but did need to stand up for my rights. They told me they would need to speak to their manager again and call me back in a few days. Well once I told my husband about this saga, he wasn't too impressed so he went in there and politely told them we had been given enough of a run around on a $2000 bag and hence he wanted the refund processed. It was done on the spot, no questions asked.
So... I am Marcie-less again, sad! But know it's the right thing in this case, I was really put off by the whole experience unfortunately.

Oh, Mills I'm sorry to hear that. I would totally do the same thing, time is money too. when you are not using the bag it's like you are lending the bag to someone. I hope some bad SAs won't ruin your experience with Chloe (starting with that they misplaced the tag) and your PERFECT Chloe is yet to be found. Did you spot anything from new season?

Oh, Mills I'm sorry to hear that. I would totally do the same thing, time is money too. when you are not using the bag it's like you are lending the bag to someone. I hope some bad SAs won't ruin your experience with Chloe (starting with that they misplaced the tag) and your PERFECT Chloe is yet to be found. Did you spot anything from new season?

Thanks gems, so disappointing, and yes you are right, it all started with the wrong tag! Bit of a drama from start to finish really. I haven't actually been in store yet to see what else they have, we are so far behind with stock, well it seems that way anyway, and I don't know why but I feel a bit strange about going in there at this point and it's the only Chloe stockist where I live. Maybe I should take a trip to Sydney, hmm.

What a result. I think you doc the right thing to push for refund. It sounds like the fault made you lose faith in the style and I would be the same. Good luck finding your new bag.