Home & Garden Marble Seal / Care / Cleaner

Graw

Aug 26, 2011
Does anyone use a cleaner or sealant that they are satisfied with on their Marble or have any general advice for care? :smile:

RochRumRunner

Apr 30, 2013
I have a marble bathroom and I do all the maintenance myself. I'll make time today when my little one is down for his nap to reply.

May I ask do you already have the marble installed or are you considering it for your project?

ladysarah

O.G.
Jul 17, 2008
ladysarahinlondon
We live in an old house with Georgian marble fireplaces. We also installed a modern marble bathroom and I can tell you, it's a pain for maintenance. Yes it will last for centuries, but marble is porous and will absorb stains, oils etc and discolour and look awful. I have to clean it with water before the stains settle and periodically use wire wool ( the really thin one!) to get rid of deeper grime.

RochRumRunner

Apr 30, 2013
For our bathroom we have polished Carrara marble installed for our countertop, the shower surround is Carrara 3x6 subway, Carrara accent in small squares, Carrara chair rail and the flooring is Arabesque marble in herringbone pattern in a honed finish. The sink is also Carrara marble.

We specifically requested and paid for the tile to be sealed by the instillation/tile company using the manufacturer recommended product Aqua Mix Sealer. Six weeks following the sealer and normal use of the bathroom the grout turned yellow. One quick call to the company and they came back servicing the grout using Aqua Mix Haze clean-up. We were told later that the grout has a latex sealant within the product thus the grout/tile did not need to be sealed. Regardless the Haze Clean-up worked great to not only remove the excess sealant but also gently clean the tile.

For cleaning, Do not use vinegar, alcohol, bleach, Bar-Keepers Friend, Comet as all products will damage the surface and affect the shine/luster.

I found this site helpful: http://www.marble-granites.com/resource-center/care-and-maintenance/do's-dont's-of-stonecare.aspx

For general cleanliness of our shower tile surround, since January of 2013 I have used the following neutral ph balance cleaners, Spic-N-Span liquid in a diluted solution for 8 months, Palm Olive hand soap diluted solution for 8 months, and Soft Scrub for marble for 8 months. Lately I have been very satisfied with the results of using the Soft Scrub although hesitant to use on an every week cleaning basis. Using a softer white nylon bristle brush and a microfiber cloth is recommend and works well for all the cleaning agents I have tried. The best method to keep water etching at bay is to use a squeegee after every shower and microfiber towel dry the walls. This reduces the water and soap build up dramatically.

Here are the facts: marble is not easy, it is not maintenance free, regardless of the polished or honed finish water etching will happen. Love the look, accept the blemished and let it age by trying to do the best that you can to clean and maintain it.

All the best!
( The photos posted are intended for the use of this thread. )

Attachments

Graw

Aug 26, 2011
We live in an old house with Georgian marble fireplaces. We also installed a modern marble bathroom and I can tell you, it's a pain for maintenance. Yes it will last for centuries, but marble is porous and will absorb stains, oils etc and discolour and look awful. I have to clean it with water before the stains settle and periodically use wire wool ( the really thin one!) to get rid of deeper grime.
Thank you, I need to purchase wire wool.

Graw

Aug 26, 2011
For our bathroom we have polished Carrara marble installed for our countertop, the shower surround is Carrara 3x6 subway, Carrara accent in small squares, Carrara chair rail and the flooring is Arabesque marble in herringbone pattern in a honed finish. The sink is also Carrara marble.

We specifically requested and paid for the tile to be sealed by the instillation/tile company using the manufacturer recommended product Aqua Mix Sealer. Six weeks following the sealer and normal use of the bathroom the grout turned yellow. One quick call to the company and they came back servicing the grout using Aqua Mix Haze clean-up. We were told later that the grout has a latex sealant within the product thus the grout/tile did not need to be sealed. Regardless the Haze Clean-up worked great to not only remove the excess sealant but also gently clean the tile.

For cleaning, Do not use vinegar, alcohol, bleach, Bar-Keepers Friend, Comet as all products will damage the surface and affect the shine/luster.

I found this site helpful: http://www.marble-granites.com/resource-center/care-and-maintenance/do's-dont's-of-stonecare.aspx

For general cleanliness of our shower tile surround, since January of 2013 I have used the following neutral ph balance cleaners, Spic-N-Span liquid in a diluted solution for 8 months, Palm Olive hand soap diluted solution for 8 months, and Soft Scrub for marble for 8 months. Lately I have been very satisfied with the results of using the Soft Scrub although hesitant to use on an every week cleaning basis. Using a softer white nylon bristle brush and a microfiber cloth is recommend and works well for all the cleaning agents I have tried. The best method to keep water etching at bay is to use a squeegee after every shower and microfiber towel dry the walls. This reduces the water and soap build up dramatically.

Here are the facts: marble is not easy, it is not maintenance free, regardless of the polished or honed finish water etching will happen. Love the look, accept the blemished and let it age by trying to do the best that you can to clean and maintain it.

All the best!
( The photos posted are intended for the use of this thread. )
The photos are gorgeous! Great combinations. I considered several options before purchasing marble for my kitchen and bathroom and didn't find any material as pleasing to the eye. Thank you for the information.