MAM - Dark Grey or Pale Grey?

Budcare

Jul 5, 2010
I took a break from RMs for a while (shopping ban). I'm now thinking about MAMs again. I pre-saled the grey croc from the Nordstrom anniversary sale, but didn't see a sample in person so I don't know if I'll like it.

Just in case I don't like it, I'm thinking about getting a non-embossed MAM. I can't decide between the DG MAM and PG MAM. I know from other posts the DG is pretty dark. What are your opinions on 1)which leather is better? 2)which color is more versatile? 3) Any other considerations?

Thanks everyone.:biggrin:

kkiimm

Addict! ♥
O.G.
Apr 16, 2007
I love the softness of the Pale Grey leather, but I think it is terribly fragile (I have a Distressed Black Darling and I already damaged it slightly). I think if you're brave and handle your bags super carefully all the time (avoiding color transfer and bumping it into anything sharp) then PG is the best choice. I think Dark Grey is a little more durable and the gunmetal hardware is lovely~

Budcare

Jul 5, 2010
I love the softness of the Pale Grey leather, but I think it is terribly fragile (I have a Distressed Black Darling and I already damaged it slightly). I think if you're brave and handle your bags super carefully all the time (avoiding color transfer and bumping it into anything sharp) then PG is the best choice. I think Dark Grey is a little more durable and the gunmetal hardware is lovely~

KKIIMM - Thank you. I'm pretty careful with my bags but the caution about the fragility of the leather is good to note. Yes, gunmetal hardware is something that appeals to me.

Jun 6, 2010
Hello Budcare,

I presold the grey croc in MAC. The MAM you got did not appeal to me. I wanted something smooshier. I wish the hardware was in silver.

Anyway I vote the DG. I love love the color PG but I am worried about leather discoloration. I usually wear the MAM on my shoulder, so I am worried about color rubbing. Also I wear a lot of jeans, and worry about color transfer if I use the shoulder strap. In my opinion the PG would be perfect in the Nikki, or Darling.

Budcare

Jul 5, 2010
Bluediamond35: Thanks for the feedback and for your opinion on the Croc MAM. I also prefer silvertone hardware but am taking a chance that I'll like this. Thanks for your vote on the DG.

iLUVSHOESNBags: Thanks. Did you use Apple on your Main Squeeze for protection?

May 7, 2008
I have both, the LB Dark Grey and the Pale Grey leather. They are both VERY different, one soft, smooshy and distressed and the other kinda structured with a glaze and very smooth. I guess it just depends which you prefer. The Pale Grey will def require more babying, but it's very beautiful and reminiscent of Balenciaga type leathers. Here's a pic of mine together for reference:

DSC_0488-2.jpg

HTH!

Budcare

Jul 5, 2010
I have both, the LB Dark Grey and the Pale Grey leather. They are both VERY different, one soft, smooshy and distressed and the other kinda structured with a glaze and very smooth. I guess it just depends which you prefer. The Pale Grey will def require more babying, but it's very beautiful and reminiscent of Balenciaga type leathers. Here's a pic of mine together for reference:

HTH!

Hi, Thanks for the pics. Would you say the DG's leather is stiff? I understand it's more structured than PG as far at the leather and treatment. Any smoosh factor at all for DG?

chayna

Feb 18, 2009
How do you care for the pale grey? I just bought a MAM in brown, and I think it's the same type of leather as the pale grey. Do you condition it and spray it with Apple Guard, or just spray? Thanks!

I have the pale grey nikki and I conditioned the handle with For Handles Only from lovinmybags.com but I sprayed the entire bag twice drying between each coat with Appleguard Stain Guard from leatherstuff.com. I just love the pale grey and I also have the newer dark grey because I coudn't choose between the two as they are so diffferent. If I ultimately had to choose becaue it would be the only bag I would wear everyday I would choose the dark grey only because it will hold up better as far as gettng stained or scratched. If you switch out your bags often like I do then go for the Pale Grey. My daughter has been wearing her pale grey mam daily with no problems! LOL, did I already post this before??::confused1:

Last edited:

Fenix

\(^_^)/`
Feb 15, 2007
Pale grey is definitely more prone to transfer, but it's also more lightweight which is awesome.

Personally, I'd go for Dark Grey mainly cause I think a bag like the MAB/MAM should have a little structure. The new DG is also really nice looking and the gunmetal hardware goes really well with it.

May 7, 2008
Hi, Thanks for the pics. Would you say the DG's leather is stiff? I understand it's more structured than PG as far at the leather and treatment. Any smoosh factor at all for DG?

Well, I have it in a MAC so it's hard to say being that I don't have that much of it...but I wouldn't necessarily say it's stiff, but definitely much more structured than Pale Grey and will take some breaking in to loosen it up! I do have to agree with Fenix though, I like my MAB's with at least a little bit of structure, and Pale Grey has none of that!

Budcare

Jul 5, 2010
Pale grey is definitely more prone to transfer, but it's also more lightweight which is awesome.

Personally, I'd go for Dark Grey mainly cause I think a bag like the MAB/MAM should have a little structure. The new DG is also really nice looking and the gunmetal hardware goes really well with it.

Thank you for your thoughts on the Dark Grey and Pale Grey. Structure for a satchel is also a good thing to consider.