Maltipoo allegies

rumimi

Jan 19, 2019
My maltipoo has been scratching himself everyday and sometimes its so bad it bleeds. the scratching and licking is causing her to have some bald patches too.
took her to a vet and the vet said its stress, we are currently trying out different types of food and see if its due to food.
anyone faced this similar situation before?

Yes, our Maltipoo is 4 years old and had been scratching herself endlessly when she was a puppy. We took her to our vet who recommended we take her to a vet allergist and have her tested. Turned out she is allergic to a long list of things including grass, sheep (including wool rugs), human dander...to name a few that were such typical everyday exposures. They prescribed a prescription medication called Apoquell everyday....works GREAT! It is not recommended for dogs under like 12 months but our vet started our dog at a few months before she was 1 and she was fine and it works great. She still takes it daily and if I miss giving to her she will start the scratching, red ears, etc. Also, the vet prescribed prescription dog food called Royal Canin PR because food allergies to many common proteins such as chicken are big triggers. Of course that means no table scraps, dog treats, flavored chews, or the flavored heart worm meds (can do injections instead), etc because of the chance of them having anything she may be allergic to. It seems like a lot to go through all of this, but to see you dog stop suffering way outweighs the inconvenience of all of this! Also, another thing we learned that is a huge trigger is Acrylic such as toys made with that fake furry fabrics, acrylic blankets which many pet blankets/bed are made of (ike polar fleece), and even some plastic chew toys . I buy our dog ballistic fabric toys with the squeakers inside which she loves to squeak all the time. The ballistic fabric is much stronger and cannot be ripped open as easily to get to the squeaker out which happens to be acrylic...another HUGE trigger! I'd be happy to provide you the name of the toys if interested. Good Luck!

Yes, our Maltipoo is 4 years old and had been scratching herself endlessly when she was a puppy. We took her to our vet who recommended we take her to a vet allergist and have her tested. Turned out she is allergic to a long list of things including grass, sheep (including wool rugs), human dander...to name a few that were such typical everyday exposures. They prescribed a prescription medication called Apoquell everyday....works GREAT! It is not recommended for dogs under like 12 months but our vet started our dog at a few months before she was 1 and she was fine and it works great. She still takes it daily and if I miss giving to her she will start the scratching, red ears, etc. Also, the vet prescribed prescription dog food called Royal Canin PR because food allergies to many common proteins such as chicken are big triggers. Of course that means no table scraps, dog treats, flavored chews, or the flavored heart worm meds (can do injections instead), etc because of the chance of them having anything she may be allergic to. It seems like a lot to go through all of this, but to see you dog stop suffering way outweighs the inconvenience of all of this! Also, another thing we learned that is a huge trigger is Acrylic such as toys made with that fake furry fabrics, acrylic blankets which many pet blankets/bed are made of (ike polar fleece), and even some plastic chew toys . I buy our dog ballistic fabric toys with the squeakers inside which she loves to squeak all the time. The ballistic fabric is much stronger and cannot be ripped open as easily to get to the squeaker out which happens to be acrylic...another HUGE trigger! I'd be happy to provide you the name of the toys if interested. Good Luck!
omg thats a huge list, thanks anyway i will send her to be tested soon