Male Rhinoplasty with GNG Hospital Review and PS takeaway

DylanP

Mar 27, 2017
Hi, I am an asian male with a short & upturned nose. I've always hated it, and decided to get PS to help. The entire process BEFORE surgery took about 1 and a half month with about 2 weeks of research, 1 week of arranging consultations, flights, airbnb and 3 weeks of waiting before flying off to Korea.

Research: I basically looked through this forum and also the Chinese forum Soyoung ( I can read Chinese, but you can still navigate through the website with google translate to look for before after photos of several clinics). I was looking at 3 clinics / hospital I wanted to go with: April 31, GNG and N-Plus (a boutique). In the end, decided to only do consultations with April 31 and GNG since I wanted to go with a bigger clinic / hospital to be safer.

Consultation: Before I went to consultations, I was probably 80% set on going with April 31 because I had heard that they made amazing noses from a few Korean friends but at the cost of being more expensive. However, I wasn't particularly concerned with price at least when it came to going under the knife.

GNG Consultation - Hazel was super nice and sweet (and very pretty!). I went with Dr. Seong because I didn't really know which of the GNG doctors to choose. I can tell you though, Dr. Seong is a man of little words, haha but during consultation, what I wanted and what he recommended was pretty much identical. He wanted to raise the nose bridge, extend the columella (blue line).
File_000 (2).jpeg

April 31 - When I met Brian, he seemed really chill and easygoing. It turns out he's an alumnus of the university I am currently attending! As a result, he was really down to earth but it wasn't just him, I felt the senior consultant and also Dr. Kim were also quite down to earth and no ********. The senior consultant and Dr. Kim recommended me the pencil line, with a lower nose bridge and nose tip (pencil line inside the blue line, they drew the other nose tip saying it was too big and would screw up the angle my nose and my upper lip made). However, when they showed it to me, I wasn't really too excited about the change. So I asked if we could extend the collumella like what Dr. Seong recommended and Dr. Kim said it would make my nostrils too small and it would be impossible. This became the conflict for me, I had conflicting views from different doctors.

GNG - So... I went back to GNG, Hazel arranged for me to speak with Dr. Seong again. This time I brought up the concern with raising the collumella and Dr. Seong said it would be fine and some technical stuff that I don't remember lol. I also showed him that drawing from April 31, and he said it looked too feminine, and again he put the words in my mouth before I even told him.

In the end I still didn't know which one to choose and I just remembered what Hazel told me, PS is about aesthetics its not a science, some times you just have to go with your gut feeling. And my gut feeling told me Dr. Seong knew what I wanted more. So in the end, I went with Dr. Seong!

For those of you curious about the price, April 31 primary rhinoplasty always starts at 6m won. In this case, they said it wasn't severe upturned nose so they just quoted me 6m. GNG also quoted me 6m won and I probably could have talked it down to maybe 4.5 - 5m? maybe even lower? not sure haha, but again, when it comes to going under the knife, money wasn't my concern so I didn't haggle at all.

Results: Currently 8 days post-op, just took off my cast yesterday and while I was scared initially, the more I looked at it, the more it's growing on me haha.
File_000.jpeg File_001.jpeg

Take aways:
1. If you're having trouble deciding between clinics, just trust your gut and pick whichever doctor you think knows what you want better.
2. SIDE NOTE: I went to Korea alone, didn't speak Korean, I thought I could just man through the first few days of recovery on my own since April 31 doesn't have a ward. However, the first night after surgery for me was so bad. I came off anesthesia and a few hours later, I was just feeling absolutely HORRIBLE, but I was super glad I could stay at the GNG ward and I could have a nurse with me when I was puking, made me feel safer lol.
If you have family / friends, then it probably wouldn't matter, but just something I didn't really consider when I was choosing between the 2 clinics.

Wow, your nose looks really good! I'm also an asian male and am also looking into April 31. Do you think you didn't like what they presented to you because the change seemed too subtle or you just didn't like the style overall? I've heard great things about April 31 but am still thinking, and it's been so hard to decipher between the different clinics.

nostrils.png
Here is the nostril photo, I'm pretty bad at paint as you can see. lol (that thing covering a bit of my nostrils is my upper lip)
They are definitely not smaller than before; my nostrils before were quite small to begin with, hence why I assume Dr. Kim brought up the concern. But I don't feel the size has decreased, in fact I feel it has gotten larger very slightly. I believe this was 6-7 mm implants, but of course, the height of the implants differ across the nose bridge.

In regards to the comparison between different clinics, I think again it comes down to which doctor understands what you want. I thought the April 31 change was too subtle, and I didn't want a curve in my nose (as shown in the pencil line), I wanted a straight line. (I'm sure Dr. Kim could have done that though if I brought it up). The other was that I also wanted to make my nose higher, since my nose is quite flat and I wanted a more dramatic change. (This was the thing Dr. Kim didn't want to do.) You really need a good understanding of what you want going in, also make sure it's reasonably feasible since rhinoplasty will not make all noses perfect. I don't doubt Dr. Kim's skill and I won't know how my nose would have turned out had I gone to April 31, but I think if you follow what you want, and given that you've researched the doctors and trust in their ability to deliver what they promised, then go with your own feeling.

As how my implants feel, I don't feel anything. Not sure if that's good or bad, lol.

Hi, I am also interested to have a rhinoplasty and turbinoplasty at GNG. What do you think about the result? From what I saw your pics, the result is amazing. I am trying to do a research for doctor who can fix breathing issue, non-sinus, at the same time of giving beautiful shape. Would it be under GA or IV sedation? Any pain afterward?

Reactions: jacobjarred30
Nose tip was with ear cartilage. Dr. Seong does have a preference for donated rib cartilage (cadaver cartilage) if you need to make a big change to your nose. I've heard this can be undesired; however, Dr. Seong told me it was mainly a preference issue between different doctors.

In terms of results, I am very happy and satisfied with my profile and 45% angles. I think they look sooooo much better haha. In terms of front view, my nose tip is still too swollen to tell. I would say I am 70% happy with the front view of my nose at the current moment but I'm sure (and hopeful) that will change as the swelling in my nose tip goes down. The nose tip takes the longest and since I have thick skin and I've made quite a big change to it, it will probably be at least another year until I can get a glimpse of the final outcome.

Nose tip was with ear cartilage. Dr. Seong does have a preference for donated rib cartilage (cadaver cartilage) if you need to make a big change to your nose. I've heard this can be undesired; however, Dr. Seong told me it was mainly a preference issue between different doctors.

In terms of results, I am very happy and satisfied with my profile and 45% angles. I think they look sooooo much better haha. In terms of front view, my nose tip is still too swollen to tell. I would say I am 70% happy with the front view of my nose at the current moment but I'm sure (and hopeful) that will change as the swelling in my nose tip goes down. The nose tip takes the longest and since I have thick skin and I've made quite a big change to it, it will probably be at least another year until I can get a glimpse of the final outcome.

Hi Dylan, I hope you have a speedy recovery. Just want to know hows your current result, everything went well?

I am deciding to go to South Korea, please share. Thank you so much.

Hi, congrats on your great result! May I know why donated rib cartilage is undesired?

GNG recommended me donor rib for tip as I don't want them to harvest my ears cartilage, but I'm quite reluctant because I haven't seen many cases where people use rib on nose tip.

The issue with irradiated / donated rib cartilage is that it is dead tissue, so it may dissolve overtime. Some studies show it is a good material, and some other studies talk about the resorption issue.