Making the move from cross body to hand held...

carls888

O.G.
Jul 8, 2009
Hi
as a mum of young children I have leaned towards cross body bags while drooling over the hand held classics.

The time has come for me to choose my grail (one of many to come perhaps :biggrin:) and I am dreaming of a Kelly.

But one part of me wonders how I will cope carrying it. I know they come with a strap, but in my dreams of this future self I am carrying her elegantly in one hand or over the crook of my arm...:P

So, ladies, how did you cope???

MYH

Nov 28, 2012
Hi carls888- I too was always a cross body gal or shoulder bag gal and recently switched over to handheld. I have slopey shoulders and just finally realized, it was going to be a never ending battle with my bag always slipping off. So I bought a kelly 32 thinking I would always hand carry it. I did do that initially, as well as in the crook of my arm (which is kind of like hands free) because you do have use of both hands this,way. But it did get cumbersome at times so I started using the shoulder strap too. Luckily the strap is thin and pliable so it stays on my shoulder. So now I would say, I hand carry 40% of the time, shoulder strap it 50%, and crook of my arm 10%. It really is a very versatile bag in this respect. I think you should get one!

MashiBags

I❤️Chanel
Mar 2, 2013
Hi
as a mum of young children I have leaned towards cross body bags while drooling over the hand held classics.

The time has come for me to choose my grail (one of many to come perhaps :biggrin:) and I am dreaming of a Kelly.

But one part of me wonders how I will cope carrying it. I know they come with a strap, but in my dreams of this future self I am carrying her elegantly in one hand or over the crook of my arm...:P

Carls888, thanks for bringing this up. I also had these concerns in mind because I usually carry my bags cross body or on the shoulder.

Hi carls888- I too was always a cross body gal or shoulder bag gal and recently switched over to handheld. I have slopey shoulders and just finally realized, it was going to be a never ending battle with my bag always slipping off. So I bought a kelly 32 thinking I would always hand carry it. I did do that initially, as well as in the crook of my arm (which is kind of like hands free) because you do have use of both hands this,way. But it did get cumbersome at times so I started using the shoulder strap too. Luckily the strap is thin and pliable so it stays on my shoulder. So now I would say, I hand carry 40% of the time, shoulder strap it 50%, and crook of my arm 10%. It really is a very versatile bag in this respect. I think you should get one!
This has been a really helpful insight. I'm so happy knowing this while I go on my hunt for my first Kelly.

May 27, 2007
Hi

If your dream Kelly comes along, get it! Kids grow up eventually, and you won't always need the ginormous shoulder/crossbody bag to tote all their stuff while you chase after them. I personally prefer the Kelly as a handheld bag, especially the larger sizes. Not a fan of the big boxy bag swinging on a thin strap, both from looks and practicality. I can't tell you how many times my Kelly on a shoulder strap has slid off my shoulder and hit the ground or whacked my daughter on the head when I leaned over. The strap is nice to have in a pinch when your arms are loaded, but I'm like you..my vision of carrying the Kelly is always handheld.

I switched from shoulder bags to handheld before I had my daughter, and it was quite a relief to no longer have shoulder/neck pain. I found that my posture was horrible in order to keep the straps from slipping off my shoulder. For the most part, I can cope with having one hand free and one hand holding the purse handles. If I need both hands, usually I can manage by putting the purse on my forearm to free up my hand. Once I had DD, I did switch to a canvas tote that could go on the shoulder in a pinch, but I recall that I still mostly hand carried it. Crossbody bags that hug the body (Evelyne shape) are a different story. They're much more comfortable for me to use vs shoulder bags, and if that was what I was used to, the change to handheld might have been tougher. Right now, I use my Evelyne only for travel or going to amusement parks. I'm not used to having a thick strap across my chest, so it's a bit of a relief to switch back to my Birkin or Kelly.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope you find your dream Kelly!

jmen

O.G.
Jan 15, 2007
The standard length strap that comes with the Kelly is not long enough for me to wear xbody but then I am a long drink of water.

huh

May 10, 2007
Hi

Hi, I too have a young child. I didn't wear any handheld bags until very recently (recently I have started wearing my B again) because my DD is older now. But I still prefer shoulder/crossbody bag.

Kelly is my preferred bag now. Mine is an Amazon so it comes with short strap but very comfortable. I have also purchased non H strap from mautto for occasional usage (when travelling). I find K very versatile. I can wear it casually when running around chasing my DD but I can also dress it up by taking off the strap and carrying it by its handle (for business meetings).

Good luck with your search but I think a Kelly is perfect for moms with young kids.

carls888

O.G.
Jul 8, 2009
If your dream Kelly comes along, get it! Kids grow up eventually, and you won't always need the ginormous shoulder/crossbody bag to tote all their stuff while you chase after them. I personally prefer the Kelly as a handheld bag, especially the larger sizes. Not a fan of the big boxy bag swinging on a thin strap, both from looks and practicality. I can't tell you how many times my Kelly on a shoulder strap has slid off my shoulder and hit the ground or whacked my daughter on the head when I leaned over. The strap is nice to have in a pinch when your arms are loaded, but I'm like you..my vision of carrying the Kelly is always handheld.

I switched from shoulder bags to handheld before I had my daughter, and it was quite a relief to no longer have shoulder/neck pain. I found that my posture was horrible in order to keep the straps from slipping off my shoulder. For the most part, I can cope with having one hand free and one hand holding the purse handles. If I need both hands, usually I can manage by putting the purse on my forearm to free up my hand. Once I had DD, I did switch to a canvas tote that could go on the shoulder in a pinch, but I recall that I still mostly hand carried it. Crossbody bags that hug the body (Evelyne shape) are a different story. They're much more comfortable for me to use vs shoulder bags, and if that was what I was used to, the change to handheld might have been tougher. Right now, I use my Evelyne only for travel or going to amusement parks. I'm not used to having a thick strap across my chest, so it's a bit of a relief to switch back to my Birkin or Kelly.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope you find your dream Kelly!
Thank you for this information! I also have neck and shoulder pain from carting a bag around. Luckily my children are a bit older now, 5 and 7, but I still carry a bundle of stuff and most of it is not mine!

So now it has been decided! I must purchase a kelly for medical reasons. :graucho:

Classic!

Thank you all for your perspectives and I envision myself carrying a Kelly to begin with and then followed by who knows what...

Cookymonster; that link did not work for me but it sounds like a great thread. I did do a search but could not find a close match.

My heart is fluttering with excitement and anticipation! Thank you ladies for enabling.

C x