Arts & Crafts Making/Sewing a pillow

Yes, one can use a pattern which will tell you what supplies to purchase and gives directions for sewing, stuffing, etc. I'm a big believer in buying/using patterns as it saves so much time when one has limited experience. However, it may cost more to make the pillow than it would to buy one.

I have never made a pillow but I do sew other things. Browse throgh some of the pattern companies online and see if you can find the style you are looking for. Patterns can be expensive so if you have stores around you check the sales. You can get them for $1-$5 on sale. There may be some free patterns online too. I much prefer to buy the pattern cheap and put my money into supplies, fabrics, etc. I hope you post a pic of what you make.

Are you making a square or rectangular or round pillow?
Are you stuffing it yourself? Or using a pre-stuffed pillow from the store?

I would go with no pattern. All you need to do is decide on the size you want and cut 2 pieces of your fabric 1" bigger. Then use a 1/2" seam allowance. Leave 6"-8" on the bottom center (not a corner) to get the stuffing into. Then hand sew the opening closed. Tah Dah a custom pillow.

I made a letter C pillow in school once. I believe using a pattern is much, much easier than not. Go to your local fabric or crafts store and browse what kind of patterns they have. Plus, using a pattern will tell you exactly how much of everything you need like fabric and stuffing.

Still haven't decided the size or shape of the pillow...probably will steer clear of the rounds ones as it is going on my baby's rocking chair. I just finished the bedding so I will probably start on the pillow in the next few weeks or so. When you stuff it yourslef does it get lumpy?

I've done both. Both stuffed it myself, and bought the pre-stuffed pillow shapes from the fabric store. Both turn out fine with no lumpyness even after 10+ years of use on a couch. Another question to ask is this going to be a purely decorative pillow that gets set to the side anytime you want to use the chair? Or is it going to be functional and used as lumbar support when you use the chair? If it is functional I would go for either a smallish rectantular pillow, or a bolster shape (tube shaped).

Another question to ask yourself that goes along with the pre-stuffed or stuffed yourself is, do you want to be able to wash the pillow? With the pre-stuffed ones, if you sew the case with a zipper or buttons, you can take just the case off and wash it. If you want to hand sew the case closed, then you probably want a synthetic stuffing because it won't get as lumpy as cotton or wool when it is washed.

i had a professional sewer make me some pillows once out of some fabric i found. she was insistent about using a pattern.

i remember in high school i was jealous of all my friends taking home-ec and sewing stuff (i took art classes). they were making pillows one time so i wanted to make some too. mine were sad looking pillows lol. although i did do it myself without any sewin knowledge :biggrin: so i'm sure they're a piece of cake.

I dont think its necessary to go buy a pattern. Just get some pattern pater yourself and measure/draw out your design. Regarding closing the pillow I always put zips on the side my pillows. its fast and easy when you want to wash it.

I dont think its necessary to go buy a pattern. Just get some pattern paper yourself and measure/draw out your design and size. Regarding closing the pillow I always put zips on the side my pillows. its fast and easy when you want to wash it.

I find a super easy way to make cushions is to go to a second hand store and purchase a large mens business shirt.

Usually they come in nice patterns and then all you have to do is turn it inside out and sew a square. The buttons at the back will be done for you!