Making my old diamond pendant into a DBTY

Caz71

O.G.
Oct 1, 2012
I have a .45 diamond set in white gold and gold. I have put it for consignment sale but Im thinking if worth to get it made into a dbty.

My question is: can it be done (make the necklace links on each side) and just wondering about costs. Can the gold part be removed , I want it done in the white gold (chain).

I have yet to contact a jeweller.

Its strange cos I had the dbty in mind when I saw this (about 10 years ago). I didnt know about Tiffany back then! So always wanted a dbty style!

1 1.jpg

Im not sure if u can see but there is a black dot on the bottom. Its a chip!!! Im thinking that , that chip was there when I bought it all those years ago! (not good).

Great size for a DBTY single. If the "chip" is by the edge a bezel may hide it.
When I bought my diamond studs, trying to find a perfect match was not easy. I finally found two diamonds that were matched up perfectly but one had a TINY carbon spot on the edge. My jeweler set a prong over the spot and voila...gone.
Find a good jeweler!

It can probably be removed and rebezeled into a DBTY style fairly easily. As far as the chip, that would have to be contingent on the size of it when the stone is removed.

I have a .45 diamond set in white gold and gold. I have put it for consignment sale but Im thinking if worth to get it made into a dbty.

My question is: can it be done (make the necklace links on each side) and just wondering about costs. Can the gold part be removed , I want it done in the white gold (chain).

I have yet to contact a jeweller.

Its strange cos I had the dbty in mind when I saw this (about 10 years ago). I didnt know about Tiffany back then! So always wanted a dbty style!

View attachment 2027096

Isn't your current pendant in a WG bazel setting with additional gold ring on the outside? If the gold ring is removed, you can add WG ears to have DBTY look. From what I see, it is almost DBTY by itself. When the gold part is removed, it is going to be DBTY.

That appears to be all one piece. So it's not just as easy as taking it apart.

I agree. It may just be easier to take the diamond out of its current setting and reset it into a dbty style. If the chip isn't too severe, a good jeweller may be able to do it quite easily.

thanks all for your responses guys! I hope something can be done.

I remembered these earrings, havent worn them in ages. I was thinking making into a dbty and a matching dbty bracelet. But I cant remember how much I paid for them and if they are 'real' diamonds??

Attaching a pic.

earring.jpg

Jewelers can pretty much make anything you want. A good jeweler that is. I LOVE getting custom work done, because it's so unique. Where are you located? I'm in NY, so all my recs are here.

Hi! I'm having my first diamond ring made into a pendant right now! I was going to go DBTY so I did some research and my jeweller had a catalogue of what I'd call "parts"? Like all different kinds of claws and bales and pre-made settings that he could pick from to order it and then I guess "shape" it around the diamond? He had a nice selection of dbty and I think .45 is a perfect size for one! Very elegant. Mine is about .4 I think and I wear it all the time - tons of presence but not too flashy!

In the end I decided I thought a regular claw kind of pendant was too ordinary and a DBTY too big in my size (diamond is a .80), so I waited... recently saw Hayden Paniettiere at the Golden Globes and fell in LOVE with her forever mark "centre of the universe" pendant, so am having him build me one just like that with a double halo! :smile: Should be lots of sparkle there for more evening looks - so excited! will post when I get it.

Good luck and can't wait to see your reveal!

Jewelers can pretty much make anything you want. A good jeweler that is. I LOVE getting custom work done, because it's so unique. Where are you located? I'm in NY, so all my recs are here.

Hi LaurieLou - I was I was in NY! I live in Australia (Melbourne). Found a few on the the net. Had to also send a pic cos the jeweller never heard of a DBTY necklace (bad sign maybe?)

I always make any "extra" diamonds in to some sort of dbty. I had a marquise 10yr engagement ring, got many years ago and never loved but we didn't have much money at the time and hubby was so proud he picked it...flash forward it's now it's a 7 stone yg dbty that I always get compliments on cuz unusual. I had another wg one made from 5 extra diamonds I had. That was the first one I did and I don't love the way they put the diamonds in the bezel, hard to explain, but it taught me to be very involved with each piece that is picked when redesigning a piece of jewelry. So make sure you get what you want. I have one little diamond floating around now and would love a bracelet but it's just a little to small.

This is my diamond ring reset. It was my grandmothers engagement ring. It's 2ct, so it's a pretty big necklace. I designed it custom from a necklace I saw a woman wearing. I think the halo is .50.

Attachments

• image-1437890307.jpg
    image-1437890307.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 955