Making Bag deals without ebay, but only paypal

Oct 17, 2006
hello,
i'm tring to make a deal on a purse with somone online. i'm just afraid, but would LOVE to get the bag. if i use paypal.com to pay for it, do u have any suggestions on how i can protect myself? i was thinking to offer to pay for it in half and once i get it, then i'll pay the rest, what do u guys think? have any suggestions on how to protect myself? thx

no, Paypal won't really back you up for a transaction off-eBay.
If you get a counterfeit or anything and the Seller doesn't cooperate, most credit card companies will credit you back and not pay the retailer/seller.

I've found that Amex is best in case a transaction goes bad.
I totally agree that Amex offers the best protection of any of the credit card companies and that's why I've always used it. Have had a few bad sellers but, fortunately, they have been few and far between. Better to take all the precautions and protect yourself upfront to prevent tears and frustration later.

If you conduct a transaction via Paypal, not going through Ebay you still have buyer protection. The seller will still have seller protection - as long as they meet the shipping criteria. Paypal conducts business through many avenues - not just Ebay. Just use a credit card to double your security efforts.

I was just wondering the same thing. ebay won't allow the sale of dust boxes and bags and i had quite a few interested bidders. one wants to do the sale outside ebay and i wasn't sure how to go about it!

guess what? i offered to pay for the bag in half and she agreed. hm..interesting. she said she will mail me the purse once she receives the first payment and then when i check for authentication, i'll make the 2nd payment. sounds good to me..what u think ladies?

guess what? i offered to pay for the bag in half and she agreed. hm..interesting. she said she will mail me the purse once she receives the first payment and then when i check for authentication, i'll make the 2nd payment. sounds good to me..what u think ladies?

WHAT? Wow, that would be a big red flag to me! Why in the world would anyone send a bag without it being paid in full? :confused1:

I would step away from the screen on this one!
Keep us posted.

yes,i will.... i was thinking i would take this risk, we'll see...i figured i will pay with my credit card and if anything goes wrong, i can contact my credit card company and file a claim, correct? have this happen to anyone before?? thx