Makeup/no makeup? Kinda dumb but still need to ask...

i started makeup at a young age and i think it did affect my skin about junior high (in a bad way) I stopped wearing makeup as much in college; no time. Also, i have combination skin and after a few hours my face feels grimmy and i can't stand it. so i opt out of not wearing anything for class except concealer. but i still buy makeup hoping i'll get into the habit of it more. i envy girls who can wear makeup all day and feel comfortable with it on. i always rub my eyes or wipe my face to wake myself up. :-/

I turned 40 last year, and my "make-up" is basically, sunblock, pressed powder, eyebrow pencil and lipstick. I think if you want to pare down on make-up, you should stick to these basics. It still looks natural, but it doesn't make you look washed out. Fortunately, I have an even skintone and my skin is very good condition that I do not need concealer or foundation.

Wear what you feel comfortable with, there is no such thing as a must-start-age when it comes to make-up! (On the contrary - I think many girls start wearing make-up too early!) And I would recommend that you try it on little by little at home first, maybe just start with soma mascara or lipgloss. If you go to a professional, they are likely to put on way too much - and probably scare you with all their stuff...

I'm 41 and I only wear mascara & tinted lipbalm for a very natural every day look. I just hate covering my face with powder or similar, as I personally do not like that unnatural doll-face look. But it may look fab on others, so I guess it all comes down to your personal style.

Go find a style of your own, don't listen to any rules or musts!!!

I LOVE NARS and YSL ... I think who you are determines what line of makeup you prefer, there are many that are bohemme and can be worn just for a hint of color(YES! most people do NEED a little makeup to bring out their natural color after the age of 21, I think, but it is a personal reflection) HINT: If you just keep it natural and you'll be fine and keep in mind as a beginner that LESS MAKEUP IS MORE...a good book to get to even see if you REALLY are intrested in makeup is KEVIN AUCOIN "making faces", its fun and when you have time you can expierement at home application and then when and if you ever really want to do an "ICE QUEEN" look you'll be a Pro! That however will take a few years...

...MEANWHILE, here is my choice selection for you, given your age and your curiosity and admiration of your cousins make up ritual....

YOU WILL ALWAYS NEED A GOOD SPF regardless if you choose to go further or not...

Netrogena SPF 30 Daily Moisturizer OR Shesido SPF 15 ultra facial moisturizer..think fresh and glowing as your first choice... then slick on some YSL translucentt SPF 15 lip gloss OR Kheils Baby Lip Balm SPF 15...its all about protection...

If you want to go to the next step... A quick coat of Black or Brown mascara...if you are darker skinned then use BLACK mascara otherwise stick to BROWN for the most natural effect..2 coats should do... Maybelline Great Lash is a good place to start, just DONT get the waterproof~it sucks!

Next if you want a lipstick that is natural go to the makeup counter and choose a pinky brown color(ask the sales people to help) CLINQUE has good "starter almost foolproof"colors that are clean and natural since you are a beginner with make up...it's fresh and easy and sheer...that's what to look for as a beginner...then if you dont enjoy doing it then just stick to the SPF and lip balm as mentioned above and my best to you m'lady...

another suggestion is to askl your cousin to go with you and help choose colors for you tell her you want a natural look , just sunkissed and healthy nothing too fashion like...classic is NEVER a mistake...and can be edgy or conservative depending on what clothes, hairstyle,bag and shoes etc you choose.

Hope this helps!

Ciao Bella!

I've never worn makeup until college. And then, only minimal makeup when I'm going out. Lip gloss, eyeshadow, and mascara. IMO, if you have even skintone, don't ruin it with foundation, powder, concealer, etc. However, this year, since I've been in the city all the time, I do feel kind of naked without makeup when I go out. I just feel like I look very tired all the time. That scared me, so I'm not wearing makeup anymore unless it's a night out.

I focus entirely on the eyes. A nice mascara will make you look more attentive and I really think that's all you need.

Skincare on the other hand, is a MUST!

I started wearing makeup when I was 13, and stopped by the time I was 15. I'll be 47 next month, and have loved looking like myself every day since.

Gad! Does anyone else remember that awful 70's blue eye shadow? Eeek! Drove my mom crazy ... :rolleyes:

I started wearing makeup in middle school, but by high school, I hardly wore any, and now at 42, the most I wear is lip balm. Very occasionally, I will wear a touch of mascara and tinted lip gloss if I'm going out somewhere fancy, but even then it is rare. If you want to try it, start light and see how you like it. I'm sure you will look beautiful either way!

tw1n8ngel said:
I'm 26 and I don't wear make-up. The only thing I put on is a lip gloss. When I was in HS, I experimented a lot with make up. As I grew older, I just kinda stopped :amuse:
Thanks ladies I didn't know there are so many of us that don't wear lots makeup everyday so I am not alone :yes:I do like my skin and the way I am just was alittle unsure if it's time already. Finally need to wear makeup :shame: Thanks for all the replys!

I don't really wear much makeup, I wear powder to cut down on the shine of my sunblock. I also use lipstick/lipgloss no matter what, I'm one of those people who have hardly any lip color and look like death warmer over if I don't put something on. :blink: