Makeup Lessons - Tips, How To's, Etc.

LissiSays

May 3, 2007
So, when I was younger I used to be very creative with my makeup. I was in my high schools Colorguard team (Flag girls) and we always did funky makeup for our competitions. Suddenly, I lost all my ability to do anything creative with makeup! I can do simple stuff with eyeshadow but nothing more. It's frustrating!

I started to search online for websites that give step by step instructions on how to do certain looks with makeup. I love creative styles that still looks pretty.

For example, I found this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODtpFR0JSyc

I really love what she did. It's awesome! The website she mentions has some pretty cool things.

Does anyone here recommend any sites, videos, etc to learn how to use makeup better? Does anyone else want to post their own instructions?

Anything and everything is appreciated! :tup:

undereye concealer is a must. Really brightens up your eye, and make you look fresh face.

dab the product on your index finger, and then place that finger in the inner bottom part of the eye. then very gently, pat gently the concealer in that area, as thats where its most darkest. then gradually work your way to the outward area of the undereye lid. blend[meaning smoothing the product on your undereye] carefully so that it blends it with your skin tone.

do NOT rub concealer on or scrub it in. the undereye is made of very delicate skin and should be treated as such

There is so many good sites out there. Specktra, Temptalia, and my personal favorite is purse buzz. I love being creative with eyeshadow. But practice does make perfect and it does take a lot of practice to get it perfected. Here are some of my personal tips I use everyday.
Some Tips:
- Always use makeup brushes for so many reasons (make sure you clean your brushes every week. I use baby shampoo). beleive it or not but brushes are what makes your applications flawless. I could go on and on about brushes! (PS: It is def worth spending the cash for a good brush, it will last years. I've had some of my brushes for over 10 years)!
- Mix your bronzer ( I use clinique up lightning) with your moisturizer for some glow. I live and breath mac vanilla pigment. I put in my moisturizer and just about anything I use.
- Glitter. I love glitter! But its always gets all over my face. a good simple trick i've learned! go get the scotch tape. its works perfectly without messing up your makeup.
- Eyeshadow base. If you truely love eye shadow like myself, you need a good base. I love MAC paints/pots. No creases, No nothing. This is a must!
- Makeup Remover wipes. Cleanser doesn't usually remover all your makeup. I love makeup remover wipes.

I will think of more..... But, in the meantime I would love to hear everyone else's tips they follow on a daily basis!

I buy my eye liner from Mac- its actually black eyeshadow, I then use an eye brush, and use it to put it on the inside of my top eyelid. It makes my eyelashes look fuller. I don't put any on the top of my top eyelid or the inside of my bottom eyelid.

i am obsessed with eye makeup at the moment..esp those vivid colors & extreme looks..even if i wouldn't wear them out, i have fun trying to recreate them at home!
ITA.. love specktra.net ..everyone seems crazy for the Urban Decay Primer Potion so that will probably be my next buy

so far ive learned to use something like a MAC paint pot to start layering color, then use a somewhat small brush to start packing the color on & then blending is really important

i love to use a light silver eyeliner pencil (Make Up For Ever makes a good one) to line my lower lid. since i'm pale, the silver doesn't pop as a color (for instance, you don't look at me and go 'woah, she lined in silver'), but the shimmer makes my eyes really bright and open.

the urban decay primer potion frustrates me. i love it if i'm doing an allover light color, but if i need to blend or do a color with pigment, my shadow won't blend and it goes on really splotchy and uneven. if use re-purpose a concealer for it, i can blend, but it doesn't last. hmmm.