makeup brushes....

i must agree the quality of brushes does affect the makeup application, you get to blean the colors easily and the application of goes on smoothly. i highly recommend bobbi brown brushes, i dont really like mac i find the hair a bit stiff and falls off easily once you clean them

It really does make a difference. My favorite brushes are by stila:
#8 powder brush (softest brush ever)
#9 all over blending brush for eye shadow
#24 dual-ended powder brush
#21 powder foundation brush
#15 dual-ended eye shadow brush

I also have a couple of MAC brushes which are pretty good:
#187 stippling brush
Catherine Denevue buffer brush/kabuki brush

There's a reason artists prefer sable brushes!

And your local art supply store may be able to hook you up with smaller ones in sable, suitable for eyeliner, shadow-smudging, etc. If you want an angle brush, you can do it yourself, or take it to your hair stylist and ask her to do it for you. S/he is used to cutting hair on an even line!

What the art supply store won't have are big fat fluffy ones for powder, blush, or dusting shadow all over your lid.

If you can't afford to get good quality sable ones, your local Sally's beauty supply usually will have a selection of some very serviceable ones that will be much better than anything you can find in a drug or discount store!

If you get a low-quality brush you end up with bristles stuck to your face. Not worth it :P
Absolutely true!! If I had a nickel for every crappy brush I bought over the years, welll you know the rest.........BTW BE brushes are the worst. That Leslie should be ashamed of herself, skimping on the brushes. I have had tremendous luck with Clinique brushes. I keep them clean and they don't shed.

I went through a can't get enough makeup brushes period and I think I need a small insurance policy on them now....purchased them from MAC and I just love them. They are worth their weight in gold and plus some. :cutesy:

I think the quality of the brushes not only affects how it distributes makeup on your face, but also the durability of the brushes. When I started wearing makeup, my first set of brushes was from Bobbi Brown, and the sweet makeup artist who sold them told me that they would last a lifetime. It's been a few years now, and they're still great! They're also so soft--which is really helpful when putting on makeup early in the morning :smile:
I also heard that Trish McEvoy has some amazing brushes. Someone once referred to them as the best brushes out there (but I think it was a Trish McEvoy makeup artist who told me that).
I personally think all the brushes that were recommended in this thread are great!

I do like Bobbi Brown Brushes. However the Japonesque 230 is very soft, made from Badger hair. And the 240 is an eyebrow brush, and it is awesome! You can buy these at Ulta. Sometimes they have a sale buy one get one free. And I have heard good things about both of these on Makeup Alley before I purchased mine. Alot of people compared them to the MAC brushes.

Totally agree with all the comments so far! It's definitely worth it to invest in quality brushes! They are pricey so for a newbie I'd suggest getting a few key items and then building from there.

My fave fave fave two brushes which I rely on the most is one for eyeshadow from Shu Uemura and the Kabuki brush from Chanel. LOVE them!

Now is a good time to buy brushes as a lot of the cosmetic companys sell brush sets for Christmas. I know MAC brush sets are always really good value for money!