makeup and the pandemic

I rarely wear any makeup anymore as due to the past lockdowns in Germany my regular lunch and dinner dates with friends were canceled. As I will have meetings with tax agents and lawyers where I currently am (Taiwan, no local cases for 105 consecutive days) I will wear makeup to look a bit more professional. Otherwise I just look like a tired teen with bad skin (I'm 33...).

Buying makeup, yes occasionally. Wearing it, rarely. I've been working at home since March and it honestly looks like that may continue until late this year or even 2021. I have Zoom meetings occasionally during the week. I am in a state with a high number of cases (Texas) so I am also not out & about a whole lot. Most days I wear no makeup and don't even blowdry my hair. I'd say I do my makeup maybe once a week now. In "normal" (pre-virus) life, I would wear makeup probably 6 days a week.

The science behind COVID-19 is always evolving and so are our procedures and protocols in dealing with it.

The talk is that airbrushing will become obsolete.

Hair will have their own trailer. Our make-up PPE has been scaled down to just wearing N95 masks and eye protection of some kind. Changing out N95 masks every few hours. Hand hygiene / washing will be increased. Short, polish free nails for everyone. COVID-19 testing once every 14 days. temperature checks 3 times a day. Sanitizing and washing make-ups and tools 3 times a day as well as between actors. Make-up stations sanitzed at the beginning and at the end of the day. And a maximum of 4 MuA's will be hired per production and will have their own designated areas. We can only contact each other via text, facetime, Zoom, or two-way walkie. Touch-ups will be done in a designated area away from cameras, but close by.

At least productions will have a dedicated COVID-19 coordinator on set, a nurse (sometimes 2) and the usual set medic.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 880
The science behind COVID-19 is always evolving and so are our procedures and protocols in dealing with it.

The talk is that airbrushing will become obsolete.

Hair will have their own trailer. Our make-up PPE has been scaled down to just wearing N95 masks and eye protection of some kind. Changing out N95 masks every few hours. Hand hygiene / washing will be increased. Short, polish free nails for everyone. COVID-19 testing once every 14 days. temperature checks 3 times a day. Sanitizing and washing make-ups and tools 3 times a day as well as between actors. Make-up stations sanitzed at the beginning and at the end of the day. And a maximum of 4 MuA's will be hired per production and will have their own designated areas. We can only contact each other via text, facetime, Zoom, or two-way walkie. Touch-ups will be done in a designated area away from cameras, but close by.

At least productions will have a dedicated COVID-19 coordinator on set, a nurse (sometimes 2) and the usual set medic.

Yikes.

The one thing I've noticed on the street that is trending right now is stronger, intense eye make-up looks. (Think Middle Eastern inspired eye make-ups) in very bold, bright colours, heavy liners and LOTS of mascara.

I must say it compliments the various cloth mask designs women are wearing.

Reactions: LPR200
The one thing I've noticed on the street that is trending right now is stronger, intense eye make-up looks. (Think Middle Eastern inspired eye make-ups) in very bold, bright colours, heavy liners and LOTS of mascara.

I must say it compliments the various cloth mask designs women are wearing.

Agree
I am also liking the bold & stronger eyebrow.. liking eyes lined with kohl (especially midnight blue) & mascara...
Eyebrows & eyes with wearing the masks are now the focus...and so many new eyebrow products to enhance the brows

I have increased my make up usage as I just discovered luxury makeup and watching tutorial videos. I’ve been working from home since March. I went from no makeup to some concealer/eyebrows/face powder to serums, foundation stick, concealer, eyes, face powder, blush. I just ordered some primers to test. I figure I can explore “my look” at home and face time to apply to understand techniques.

One of our Stand-ins doing her own make-up at the beginning of our day... (Notice her flesh-toned face mask around her wrist, at the ready). The new make-up routine, for the Pandemic.

IMG_0751.jpgIMG_0753.jpg

And here she is wearing her flesh-toned face mask over her surgical face mask, as is our other Stand-in.

IMG_0907.JPG

Reactions: taho
I'm a student and I don't care enough to do my makeup routine for online school stuff, especially since everyone else is in their sweats as well. Funny thing is, I'm more confident now about being makeup-free - if it's groceries or errands, I could not wear any and not care, whereas pre-pandemic, I wouldn't have left the house without makeup. When I do wear makeup these days, it's only the top half of my face thanks to the mask :P