Make-up Brush versus Sponge versus Fingers

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Since I can't seem to live without foundation, I have applied it in all sorts of ways.....lately with my fingers. I have used sponges a great deal in the past, but my friend told me that the sponges actually soak up more foundation that what actually goes on your face. So, I tossed all of my sponges because I got tired of buying them anyway, and I went back to my good old fingers. Now, I am trying out a really good foundation brush because it seems to go on a lot smoother and I don't have to use as much foundation, either. I just wanted to know if anyone else out there is applying their foundation with a brush......

2. I have used many application procedures both personally and professionally and always go back to the good ole' fingers. I find it works the best to spread evenly because the heat from your fingers warms up the product and helps to spread it correctly. A sponge and brush can many times leave streaks that I end up blending with my fingers anyway!

3. I don't care for the foundation brush. I prefer a brush as opposed to fingers, cause they are less messy. I will use a brush/sponge for my concealer though.

4. I have found if I dampen the sponge just a tad first it won't soak up so much foundation.

5. Stephen Moleski a celebrity makeup artist uses a Kabuki flat top brush. It works like a charm (tried it today)

who would have thought it could work to apply foundation. I got even coverage (unlike my foundation brush) and I didn't really have to use my fingers or hands (so know washing the hands over and over). Plus the foundation went on sheer like instead of layered like with a foundation brush. highly recommend.

See it in action:

http://www.kimkardashian.com/2008/08/perfect-your-foundation-and-bl.php

6. Brush definitely. It's so much easier to blend everything well. If you like having the heat from your fingers. put a dab on your hand and sort of stir it on your palm and then dip your brush on it. I always wash my hands before doing that though.

7. Well, I just tried the brush that I bought yesterday, and I love the way the foundation went on my face and it really looks nice and natural with a lot of coverage. I was going through a phase where none of my makeup was working very well, and this seemed to do the trick! Loved that video!

8. I totally LOVE my foundation brush. Wouldn't use anything else.

9. foundation brushes, unless i'm in a rush I just use my fingers

10. When i do wear foundation I always use a brush.

I use Lancome foundation brush no. 2 - my friend got it for me when she worked the counter at Macy's, love it!!

11. Japhson! :hugs: Thanks for posting, I'd heard about this video and forgotten about it. Cool idea using a CD as a artists pallette too. :yes:
    I.MUST.HAVE.THAT.BRUSH and I believe it's limited or DC'd. :crybaby:

Right now I'm using a 187 or 188 to apply my foundation and love it. Since I'm a brush whore, I might as well try this one too. :P Wonder if CCO has it.

12. When I do wear liquid foundation/tinted moisturizer (not often lately), I use a brush. I've used Smashbox's foundation brush for a long time, and just ordered a MAC 187 so I'm going to try that one with tinted moisturizer. I find when I get brush streaks, I can use the end of the brush to sort of stipple out the streaks and make the finish more even and flawless. I guess the flat top kabuki probably does exactly that!

13. I hate using sponges on my face. My skin is very oily and bacteria quicky accumulates in the sponge, and then I break out. I mean, I could purchase more sponges and dump them after every couple applications, but that can get expensive for me. :shame:

I defintely prefer using brushes. I wash my brushes twice a week with baby shampoo and let them dry overnight. Saves me money and keeps the pimples away. :tup:

14. I like to use the sponge that comes with my foundation, but mine is a cream so it probably doesn't soak up as much as opposed to liquid. I personally don't like the idea of applying with a brush; I feel like it'll look caked (but that's just me, though. I've never even tried it LOL).

15. For me the best result is to apply with freshly cleaned fingers. Then I follow up with a sponge (downward strokes) to smooth and buff the foundation.

When I apply makeup on someone else I use a foundation brush and follow up with the sponge technique.