Majors

dlg

Jul 5, 2006
I changed once. I started with a business administration major and changed to elementary education with a minor in psychology. I'm not really putting that degree to use. I work for the state public employee retirement system. :smile: I should have stayed with my original major.

hell_lo_kitty

Proud Freak!!!!!
O.G.
Feb 7, 2006
I never changed: Integrated Language Arts (English Education 7-12) from the vary start. Along the way I added a minor in Comparative Arts and a minor in Communications Studies. For my major I had to take a butt load of classes in both of my minors, so I figured I would just tack them onto my degree and take the extra hours needed to get a complete minor.

jillybean307

Wanderlust
O.G.
Mar 9, 2006
I started out as a biology major, I switched to Neuroscience & Behavioral Biology---> didn't really like the advisors in the NBB program so I then switched back to biology then I decided that biology alone wasn't cutting it for me so I double majored in Russian Area Studies as well. I graduated with a degree in Biology concentrating on Evolutionary Biology & Russian Area Studies.

I think it's pretty common to switch majors. At 18 it's very hard to decide what you want to do with your life. I think a lot of people pick something because their parents encouraged it, or they thought it sounded interesting when they were younger. People change, interests change. I don't think there's anything wrong with changing majors if it makes a person happy.

Blair Waldorf

Aug 15, 2006
I started out as English and Japanese but I picked up Chinese later and was going to minor...didn't want to deal with linguistics courses and a lot of requirements were similar across Japanese and East Asian Studies so I switched. Also added a psych minor this year (I'm a senior!). Lots of flexibility. I know people who changedd later than me with a lot more requirements left to fulfill and they're doing fine. Are you thinking about changing?

boxermom

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
One change; from psych to poli sci. Both are sort of useless in the real world, but I feel I received a good liberal arts education. How does anyone at the age of 18 know what field is right? A few, possibly, but most don't.

amanda

I Bleed Georgia Red
Oct 18, 2005
i declared as magazine journalism when i applied to college, and now, 3 years later, i'm still magazine journalism (lol, yes, my university's journalism school gets incredibly specific with their majors). i've added sociology to be able to register for upper-division soci classes, but i'll eventually drop that and have two minors by virtue of how many classes i've taken in each subject: sociology and comparative lit.

looking back, i should have been a poli sci or international affairs major, but i like my major, it was incredibly difficult to get admitted in to (high-demand majors at my college require an application and essay), and there's no point in changing now! i don't particularly want to be a journalist, though. or at least i don't want to have to move across the country to do it.

azaelea

Aug 10, 2006
i'm doing a joint major in economics-political science. i did most of the required courses for econ already. they're so much harder than the poli-sci ones! after college, i'm planning to do either banking or law school after graduation.