Major Dilemma that I never thought I'd be in a position to be in !

Nov 15, 2012
A few weeks ago, I posted on here, saying how in love with Balenciaga bags I was, more like OBSESSED !!!!.....Anyway, as a lone parent who does work full time, but certainly not with huge designer bag budgets, I resigned a Balenciaga Bag to a place of my dreams . . . ..
Until today.
When I had a windfall from an unexpected source. And herein lies my dilemma.
I have been wondering if there's any way I could afford to take my children on a small holiday this summer, but its been looking increasingly unlikely. They had a really fabulous holiday last year, and several years before my husband and I parted ways and going without this year would certainly not be the end of the world, but of course we always want to do as much as we can for our babes :smile:

My windfall, plus the gains from some items I wish to sell would either fund;

a) A pre-loved Bal bag AND some lovely days out for the children in the summer
OR
b) A holiday for us. And no bag.

I am all over the place, trying to decide what's ethically right. The windfall is my money, as in its a huge over payment for the last year to a utilities company, so has been a kind of savings fund, unbeknown to me ! So, its for me to decide, and in all other areas, my children always come first.

What would you do, REALLY ?
Thanks everyone for reading :smile:

I'm a mom and understand the guilt. But you deserve a treat every once in awhile. Go buy your dream bag and have a good short trip with the kids! Happy mommy = happy kids!

Because the kids had a great holiday last year, and you'd still have some left over for something fun for them, albeit not a huge holiday, I'd say get your bag. It's a windfall, not accruing debt, so you should reap a little treat.

I'm a mom too and did the single mom thing for before remarrying, and although being responsible is very important, I think it's also important to treat yourself to something that will give you pleasure every day. Get your bag, enjoy it each and every day and don't worry about it. Please don't feel guilt about it either. It's an investment in yourself and will put an extra spring in your step which will ripple out. I always feel better when I've got my Bal with me. It adds just that right touch of something that makes me smile every time I look at it.

Can't wait to see it if you decide to go for it. :smile:

Because the kids had a great holiday last year, and you'd still have some left over for something fun for them, albeit not a huge holiday, I'd say get your bag. It's a windfall, not accruing debt, so you should reap a little treat.

I'm a mom too and did the single mom thing for before remarrying, and although being responsible is very important, I think it's also important to treat yourself to something that will give you pleasure every day. Get your bag, enjoy it each and every day and don't worry about it. Please don't feel guilt about it either. It's an investment in yourself and will put an extra spring in your step which will ripple out. I always feel better when I've got my Bal with me. It adds just that right touch of something that makes me smile every time I look at it.

Can't wait to see it if you decide to go for it. :smile:

Thanks Gazoo, lovely post, and yes, I can only imagine how happy I would feel skipping down the street with a Balenciaga in tow, its the stuff dreams are made of.
I have decided to do lots of research, find which bag is really right for me (I have a good idea) and see realistically what price I could purchase a pre-loved version. I would have quite strict criteria as this will be a once in a lifetime experience for me so I need to get it right ! Thanks everyone for your input, further thoughts and comments welcomed :smile:

maybe you could search for a really reasonably priced pre-loved. lately, the resale value of bal hasn't been what it has been in the past, you can probably find a decent/good condition one for a really good price. :smile:

maybe you could search for a really reasonably priced pre-loved. lately, the resale value of bal hasn't been what it has been in the past, you can probably find a decent/good condition one for a really good price. :smile:
I agree with this! I just bought my first ever Bal, for about half the price of a new one, and I love her as much as a brand new one! Get your dream bag second hand, and put all the money you save towards some great times with the kids :smile:

A few weeks ago, I posted on here, saying how in love with Balenciaga bags I was, more like OBSESSED !!!!.....Anyway, as a lone parent who does work full time, but certainly not with huge designer bag budgets, I resigned a Balenciaga Bag to a place of my dreams . . . ..
Until today.
When I had a windfall from an unexpected source. And herein lies my dilemma.
I have been wondering if there's any way I could afford to take my children on a small holiday this summer, but its been looking increasingly unlikely. They had a really fabulous holiday last year, and several years before my husband and I parted ways and going without this year would certainly not be the end of the world, but of course we always want to do as much as we can for our babes :smile:

My windfall, plus the gains from some items I wish to sell would either fund;

a) A pre-loved Bal bag AND some lovely days out for the children in the summer
OR
b) A holiday for us. And no bag.

I am all over the place, trying to decide what's ethically right. The windfall is my money, as in its a huge over payment for the last year to a utilities company, so has been a kind of savings fund, unbeknown to me ! So, its for me to decide, and in all other areas, my children always come first.

What would you do, REALLY ?
Thanks everyone for reading :smile:

Agree with everyone else here... Treat yourself, you deserve it :smile:
If you have an idea of what you are looking for and what price range you want to stick to, I'd be happy to help you look!
Feel free to pm me if you want.

:smile:

I always think a mother should treat themselves every now and then. Being a mother is a very selfless job, thus you deserve a gift to yourself. Like others have mentioned, you can find a fab pre-loved bal for a very reasonable price.

I personally think every mom deserves to treat themselves every once in a while and for the kids, they just want to some quality time with their mommy. It doesn't matter where you go as long as you guys have fun, it's all that matters. I'm sure your kids won't mind where they're going. :smile:

^ I agree.. as a daughter of a pretty much single parent, I understand the sacrifices that my mom makes to make us happy. I'm in my 20s and we've only gone on maybe 3 *BIG* family trips together (only one where we actually flew by plane) and especially when I was younger, even a child's dream vacation to Disneyland only left me faint splotchy memories. To me, big family trips are more meaningful when the kids are older because of all the inside jokes and memories you can actually remember.

You deserve to treat yourself, especially when you've been holding out this long for a dream bag!

As a single mother myself I know how hard we work to provide the best for our kids. But like everyone says you deserve to treat yourself too. I vote for the Bbag and you still have enough left over for some great days with your kids. It's a win-win. Go for it! 😍

Another single mom here. Your kids will be grown sooner than you can believe, and they will have many good experiences in life. You can do many meaningful activities that are less expensive than a big expensive trip. Kids will appreciate the quality time and fun more than anything. Even just spending a couple nights in a nearby hotel with amenities, a few museums, and some picnics at the park would be a great way to enjoy each other. Spend the remaining money on a second-hand bag. There is no need to throw away hundreds of dollars on a brand new bag when there are good pre-loved bags for good pre-loved moms. Haha!!

As others have mentioned, a pre-loved Bal bag could be a good start to your collection. The resale values of Bal is not what it used to be and you can get a really "like new" bag at a good price. Then spend the remaining money on a simple vacation with the kids.

I have spent a lot of money over the years on new bags and pre-loved bags. I often find that I feel guilty when I buy new ones due to the astronomical amount it costs. No guilt factor when I buy pre-loved especially when it's more fun to find the perfect bag at a price-point that I can tell myself was a "good deal" I can't resist! Sometimes the hunt is better than the final prize.