Maison Martin Margiela - patent skirt

Kayapo97

O.G.
May 24, 2009
Hi,

Would appreciate you guys advice, just bought this absolutely beautiful deep maroon patent leather skirt, but now I have it I am not sure I've got the nerve to wear it! (or whether I should return it). It fits beautifully although the pencil cut and thick leather does make going up and down stairs a noisy affair.
I have a pair of purple suede pucci boots from last autumns collection that I thought would look lovely with it,but not sure if that would look too much and how I should tone it down.

Advice please

Picture from Net-a-porter.

Attachments

• 170179_fr_l.jpg
    170179_fr_l.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 669
those boots are amazing!! They might look good with the skirt but it also might be too much, you should provide us with some modeling shots :smile: I think some rich brown leather boots might look best

I would wear it either with all black or all white, or some other neutral like light grey, but the other pieces should be understated.

I see it looking really beautiful with a thin black turtleneck (tucked-in).

about those particular boots, I'm not sure I like the mix of materials (patent and suede together seems kind of busy), or the two colors together.

but it's a beautiful skirt, I think you could create some amazing outfits.

mundodabolsa said:
I would wear it either with all black or all white, or some other neutral like light grey, but the other pieces should be understated.

I see it looking really beautiful with a thin black turtleneck (tucked-in).

about those particular boots, I'm not sure I like the mix of materials (patent and suede together seems kind of busy), or the two colors together.

but it's a beautiful skirt, I think you could create some amazing outfits.

My thoughts precisely! Congratulations!!

Thanks mundodabolsa,Flip88 and Mauricia for your thoughts I'll give your suggestions a try when I get back, as away at the moment. I agree I think a black top or white blouse would work well.

I have some flat brown riding boots I could try my only other pair of brown boots are suede and have high heels (Atwood Barretta).

Yes the pucci boots are lovely I was taken by the colour, although the heels are at my limit, they were somewhat higher than I thought so for special occassions, especially as the heel are suede covered, so only for dry weather or going from car to restaurants etc!

I agree with Mundo.

In addition, I'm not sure about wearing any kind of knee high boot with this skirt.
Again, it's best to focus on just one item... If the boots are light brown, I think it'll compete with the maroon patent.

Personally, I'd wear tights (helps to minimize the "sounds") and simple pumps on the bottom, and on top a simple white blouse.

I agree with Mundo.

In addition, I'm not sure about wearing any kind of knee high boot with this skirt.
Again, it's best to focus on just one item... If the boots are light brown, I think it'll compete with the maroon patent.

Personally, I'd wear tights (helps to minimize the "sounds") and simple pumps on the bottom, and on top a simple white blouse.
Thanks for the suggestions CEC. Whilst I am replying I have to say how fantastic your collection is, I often look at what you have been buying.

Thanks for all the advice

So should I keep the skirt - would you have the nerve to wear it or is it just too close to the edge?

I've tried it one several times now and love the colour and cut.

Anyone else got patent leather skirt/top/pants and worn them out?

I love the skirt! I think it's gorgeous and MMM is a fantastic brand too. Definitely a keeper. I think it's just about pairing the right pieces of clothing together and letting the skirt take center stage.

I thought of you when I saw this outfit. imagine that princess raina's skirt is like yours an not a leather skirt. (you're looking at the bottom two pictures...)

http://forum.purseblog.com/celebrit...s-fashion-thread-658416-233.html#post20803881
mundodabolsa,

Great spot thanks she looks amazing, agree the ivory top looks very stylish with the skirt, hope I can manage to pull off the look a fraction as good as she does! You've set me off now searching my wardrobes for tops to try out. This is a bit I enjoy trying various combinations out! I wonder what shoes she was wearing?