Books & Music Maim that Tune-The top 20 WORST covered songs

I TOTALLY agree with Whitney's "I will always love you." I CANNOT stand her version.

Most of the other remakes I've not heard but can image that Celine butchered any remake she did.

Last edited:
I liked Tori Amos' cover of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. It was very different from the original, and in some cases that's a good thing. She made it her own and I don't think it was disrespectful.

The worst cover I've ever heard was some British girl band (can't remember the name right now) doing a cover of the Red Hot Chili Pepper's 'Under the Bridge'. Ugh it was awful! Painful to the ears and I can't believe anyone allowed that to happen.

Oh I totally disagree with Whitney Houston, her version is way better than Dolly's. Although nobody could ever do it like MJ, I dont really mind FOB's version of "Beat It" gotta give them props for even having the $$ to pay for the rights to that song!

missbanff - I agree, I didn't think the No Doubt version was that bad.

Sheryl Crow tried to sing Guns N' Roses? lol not even going to comment on that.
Jonas Brothers = horrid, so not surprised they made this list.
AHHH Hilary Duff ... The Who?!?!

Can't remember the name of the song, but the J.C.Penney commercial remake of The Breakfast Club. UGH! They massacred the song and the movie. I have to mute it every time the commercial comes on.

I agree, I like the No Doubt cover of "It's My Life."

I liked Tori Amos' cover of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. It was very different from the original, and in some cases that's a good thing. She made it her own and I don't think it was disrespectful.

Yes, she definitely made it her own. Her version is very haunting in my opinion. I was a huge Nirvana fan and am a Tori fan as well, and like both the original and Tori's version, as they feel like different songs. Tori also used to cover part of "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails sometimes during her shows. NIN is my favorite band but I like Tori's version too because once again she makes it her own.

Yeah if Jessica's version of "angels" was a person, I'd be forced to end it with a 44 mag. UGH. Wow, I have a fiery hatred for that song. And I don't even dislike Jessica, really.

I didn't mind Sheryl Crow doing Sweet Child, and I actually really liked FOB "Beat It" It sounded just like the original and their singer has an impressive voice for r&b.

How about good covers? Which ones do you guys like?

Chris Cornell (the guy from Soundgarden and Audioslave) did a reworked cover of "Billie Jean" that was pretty awesome. Some American idol performer sang Chris' arrangement of it on the show. But no one sings like Chris Cornell, so it was as good, of course.