Maid Service

bagnshoofetish

Oh. Gee.
O.G.
Feb 12, 2006
Questions for anyone who uses a maid service.
I'm thinking about looking for a new service but am wondering if I'm stuck in a "grass is always greener" mentality. When we first signed up for the service, the initial visit took them well over an hour to complete the rooms I requested (don't need the whole house done) and since that every visit has been a "whirlwind" visit where they seem more concerned about blowing through every task in order to get to the next appointment. I feel like the company is more interested in the number of clients and billing they have than performing a quality service every visit.
They have:
  • broken a sculpture without saying anything about it (nothing expensive just something we picked up at a flea market)
  • accidentally taken my little "wheel" from inside the microwave oven rendering it useless for a week till they brought it back
  • and have just done a so-so job a few times the latest being this week where we can't even tell if they mopped/vacuumed
I did complain about this last visit and I am getting a 50% discount for that cleaning but I'm wondering if all services are pretty much like this? Is anyone really ga-ga over the service they use and are satisfied every time they visit? I am in the Los Angeles area and would just like to get some feedback before I decide to let them go and find someone else.
TIA.
:tup:

I don't know what to tell you -ordinarily, I wouold only hire someone on a referral, but I was new to the area.

The maid service I used did seem to rush them to get the most houses per day possible, and then, much later, when she no longer workd for the service, I discovered who had taken some Rx drugs from my bathroom cabinet.

I would look for someone else, maybe ask for references from current clints

I don't know what to tell you -ordinarily, I wouold only hire someone on a referral, but I was new to the area.

The maid service I used did seem to rush them to get the most houses per day possible, and then, much later, when she no longer workd for the service, I discovered who had taken some Rx drugs from my bathroom cabinet.

I would look for someone else, maybe ask for references from current clints

do you use an independent contractor? maybe I should not use a franchise? I like that they are bonded though. are you in LA?

I would say definitely find someone else. I found my cleaning lady through a friend, who has known her for the past 3 years (she works independently, not for a service). I've only had her clean my home 4x but I'm always satisfied. Maybe you can get some referrals from friends in your area. I'm positive there's got to be someone out there that would do a much better job. Good luck!!!

Last edited:
I had similar problems with my last cleaning people. It's almost like they take their time and do a really good job for a few sessions to get your business, and then it all goes to hell. If you're happy with the company, maybe ask to be put on a different schedule, so you'll have a different crew? That's helped me before.

I used The Maids for a while, and found they were overcharging me w/the times... they would inflate the amount of time they spent "cleaning" and honestly... it just looked like they did a quick once over.

I'd recommend hiring an independent contractor. They are more invested in keeping their clients, and will do a great job in the hopes of repeat visits and recommendations. Just ask for references and interview them throughly before letting them into your home.

I have had this same problem and have since stopped using a cleaning person because I just know I can do it better myself. I am convinced though, that if you find an independent contractor upon referral, that would be the way to go.

It's funny because about a year ago, I thought about starting my own business that I would work around my whole current SAHM gig, but there is something about the fact that I spent 40 grand on college to become a cleaning lady that doesn't make sense:nogood:. I just honestly LOVE cleaning - its very therapeutic for me. If I lived in LA, I'd offer to help you out:P

Have you tried looking on Craig's List? I think a lot of independent contractors advertise on there - just ask for some referrals first. Have you asked around your work, gym, etc., for referrals?

Gosh I wish we were closer, I have the best service ever! The owner brings the ladies, opens the door, walks through the house, then comes back exactly 3 hours and 15 minutes later, which is the amount of time we agreed upon and that it takes to do the cleaning. This way, the ladies who do the work do not have a key, and they need not rush because they will not get picked up until the time is up anyway. At the end, the owner walks through the house and if there is something not just so, she will call them back in to touch it up, so that way I am not the "bad guy" the owner is.
I will ask her if she knows anyone up your way.

I'm hoping so. Do you use a service? I guess I'm looking for recommendations in the LA area...:yes:

Ask friends and relatives, that's how I found my gal. It's just 1 person, and she does a fantastic job. She works more like a housekeeper than a maid...if that makes sense at all. For example, on Tuesdays, she comes in and strips the beds, changes the sheets and washes the dirty sheets right away , so she can fold them and put them away before she leaves. She will also work on whatever needs attention, rather than a set list.

We have it set up so we pay her by the hour and she comes in for 4 hours, twice a week. I love that we pay her by the hour, because she will come in do what needs to be done and if it's a light day she will work on a project list we keep...stuff like clean under the fridge, extra attention in the kids rooms, etc. If I think she is going to need more time, I usually give her a heads up and she will work an extra hour...but that doesn't happen very often...I am often amazed at what she accomplishes in 4 hours.

Because she is an independent and more flexible, she will also do stuff like help me clean out and organize my closet or help me set up for a party...really what ever I ask her to do.

Good luck in your search. Finding the right person can really be a huge blessing. It's amazing how just 8 hours of help a week from someone has made a huge difference is our family's life.

Last edited:
do you use an independent contractor? maybe I should not use a franchise? I like that they are bonded though. are you in LA?

- TWo ladies from this service who are disatisfied with how they are treated and paid at their service, are doing work on the side, garnering new accounts, and not stealing, but gaining accounts like me that refused to pay exorbitant prices for mediocre work due to # of houses empahsized over work quality., and quit the service.

I pay them less for cleaning my house than their day job, and they still make more than they make in a day from the service.

They are good women, very trustworthy, as I had gotten to know them through the service I had for a couple years.

So yes, they are independent on the side.

They work HARD, sometimes 7 days a week. 5 days for the company, on the side on weekends. LIke I said they make more on weekends than the measly hourly rate from the service who employs them

More than you wanted to know, I know.

So sorry, I live up Northern CA...

In my experience, the first couple of visits, they do a great job, and then they start slacking.

I've also had better experience with independent cleaning people than those that work for services.

Maybe ask some of your friends or neighbors who they use?