Maid Service

Ours comes every Friday and we pay her $60/visit. She works for the company that cleans my office building at work. She has her own key to our house and she sometimes brings her daughter. Super dependable, honest, and really really nice to my cat.

I don't think I'd ever use a service. I've heard too many horror stories. If I lost our housekeeper (I'd die), then I'd just clean our house myself.

If you're close to downtown or Pasadena and want to meet her, pm me. She's looking for additional work. She goes to another co-worker's and my mom's house as well but not as often or routine.

Don't have any recommendations but I hope you find the right person soon Bagshoo! We once had a cleaner who did a fantastic job for about the first two months. Then we discovered she had been bringing in her own clothes to wash in our machine with our detergent (and then iron)...and to compensate for what she used, didn't put any detergent in our washing :noggin:

I'd be careful with some of the services and try to use people based on recommendations from people who have used them for years. My neighbors had a cleaning service and apparently, the break in at their house was an inside job involved with the people at the company.

Ours comes every Monday and sometimes when I have a dinner party or something unexpected one more time in the week to help out with the cooking, serving the guests, and take care of dish washing. We pay her 75 $. She loves my dog and always brings him treats! She never slacks, but as she is human, has made mistakes. Nothing terrible of course, she has broke 1 clock by accident, and she clogged a pipe. Anyway I trust her a lot, and sometimes she brings her daughter along, who is a hairdressing student and I get a really cheap hairstyling session.
I found her by chance. When I moved in our new apt, I called another maid to clean, and she brought with her my current maid to help her out. Of course I kept her phone number and ever since she is my staple.

Last edited:
i have the worst luck with housekeepers. i have never found anyone i like. the person i use (very infrequently) now is someone who my mom uses. the good thing is that she moves all my furntiure to clean, the bad thing is she never puts it back. just leaves it whereever she moved it to. and she's left my house without locking the door :wtf: the problem with me is that i usualy have people come during the week when i'm at work and go by the honor system for how long they stay (ie- supposed to be there 9-3) and have found out from my doormen that they show up late and leave early. it usually costs me about 100 a session. and i have a studio apt!

tink- i can't believe how little you pay and your friends....! wow! i actually think it's kind of unfair that your housekeeper can't make any more money than she has been for years because they don't want to pay it. you know, she can decide to charge you all more at any time. and considering how nice she sounds and how much she does would a few extra dollars an hour really be that bad? i'm not saying this at you but them. it just seems really mean and selfish of them.

Bagnshoo is it possible when cleaning the microwave she stuck it in her pocket and forgot to put it back?

The service I has cost me up to 300.00 per SESSION to clean my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Took 3 women about 3 hours.

I pay my two ladies 140.00, which they split.(that is what they quoted me for the job - I would have happily paid them more) But right now, I only have to pay one lady her 70, as I am temporarily boarding the other woman's steer (yes you read it correctly) in one of my pastures in exchange, LOL. Now that's bartering for service, LOL!

It takes them about 3-1/2 to 4 hours. Sometimes I 'kick' them out early cuz I don't feel like having someone in the house for that long.

I trust them to do it if I wasn't home, but I have quite a few dogs, and even though they are crated during housecleaning, I feel responsible to be there, just because...I dunno why. (they're not attack dogs or anything, but I am always aware of my liability and responsibility as a pet-owner)

Hire new people. You are not getting what you are paying for.

We have 2-4 ladies from a maid service called Molly Maids that comes to our house to clean on Fridays. We have been using them for over a year.

In fact, 4 ladies were here today and did a fabulous job like they always do.

They are national and I would highly recommend them.

What is nice is that we have them scheduled to come Fridays at 4 so someone can come home early and be there whenever they clean.

So this way we do not have to worry about keys or feel insecure about them not doing the proper job.

They clean the house from head to toe. Even with 3-4 people it takes them 2-4 hours to clean everything, since my home is large, but they also clean everything thoroughly.

I personally would get a service if your home is large that way multiple people can clean at the same time. It makes it more efficient and they do a better job. If your place is smaller than you can get fewer maids to come.

Hope that helps.

She is amazing!

I am embarrassed to say, we pay her (what she asked for) 10.00/ hour. So her rate is 80.00 a week...it seems ridiculously low to me for the amount of work she does. Seriously, other than day to day pick up and laundry, I don't do much cleaning. The boys do the dinner dishes/kitchen clean up as their chore and she does everything else. Sometimes, especially when I am not home, she even does a load or 2 of wash.

I wanted to give her a raise this year, but the 2 friends that use her as well (and referred her to me) were livid I even suggested it. One of the things they made me promise, before they would give me her name and number, was we would discuss all raises/tips/holiday bonuses....they said, 'we know you, you always over tip, so we need to keep you in line'.

Holy moly you are so lucky! We pay $150+ per visit (2-4 hours) for 2-4 people!

--You're lucky, too! I used to pay 100.00 per HOUR and it sometimes took them 3 hours.

Now, thank goodness, the most I pay is about 20.00/hour to each of the two women

That is considered very cheap around here!

Wow, I don't know I would pay $20.00 an hour...that seems high...you said each right?

We don't have a huge home, but not tiny either...about 3200 sq feet. Now granted our gal comes twice a week, so it is a total of 8 hours, but she does most everything both days (vacuuming, dusting, the bathrooms, the kitchen, etc). She changes the sheets on Tuesday and cleans the fridge on Thursday...like I said before, I keep a list in the broom closet (where all the cleaning supplies are) of 'extras' if she has the time, because usually she finishes early and wants to get her full 4 hours in...:shrugs:

Wow, I don't know I would pay $20.00 an hour...that seems high...you said each right?

We don't have a huge home, but not tiny either...about 3200 sq feet. Now granted our gal comes twice a week, so it is a total of 8 hours, but she does most everything both days (vacuuming, dusting, the bathrooms, the kitchen, etc). She changes the sheets on Tuesday and cleans the fridge on Thursday...like I said before, I keep a list in the broom closet (where all the cleaning supplies are) of 'extras' if she has the time, because usually she finishes early and wants to get her full 4 hours in...:shrugs:

-everything is more expensive in the SF or LA parts of CA...

140.00 per session is a steal for me!!!!!!($70.00 for each woman)

We have 4000 sq ft in the wide open country - cattle all around us, hundred or more acres of grassland. It gets very windy certain parts of the day, plus the dogs bring dirt in. The house gets pretty dirty:shame: They come every other week.

They have their work cut out for them.

OOOps, I think you are in the SF Bay area, aren't you? I don't know how you get away so cheap.

Last edited:
-everything is more expensive in the SF or LA parts of CA...

140.00 per session is a steal for me!!!!!!($70.00 for each woman)

We have 4000 sq ft in the wide open country - cattle all around us, hundred or more acres of grassland. It gets very windy certain parts of the day, plus the dogs bring dirt in. The house gets pretty dirty:shame: They come every other week.

They have their work cut out for them.

OOOps, I think you are in the SF Bay area, aren't you? I don't know how you get away so cheap.

Yes, we are in the south bay....but I guess it makes sense...like I said, we do have a great deal and I realize it...and our house is smaller, and we have only a cat so it sounds like it all evens out. We also make sure the kids pick up after themselves and we use stuff like bleach tablets in the toilets and the automatic shower cleaner, the boys chore is to do the dishes and the kitchen (even though she still does those things), I think that helps save her time. :shrugs:

We are i

We've had the same person for 20+ years (she's been coming to our house since I was 2 and I am now 25!) She is amazing and is more like family then anything else! She comes once a week for about 3-4 hours and we (well, I) pay her $75 a week. I usually try to give her more when I can. She mostly does laundry and irons, changes the sheets, vacuums, and dusts. There is really not too much to do now that my dad moved and it's just me in the house!

I try to keep the house as tidy as I can - I don't think it's her job to pick up after me or anything. I think she mostly helps keep the house clean and organized. She tells me horror stories about some of the houses she goes to - one woman just leaves the cat throw up on the floor for days, for her to pick up when she comes :wtf:

But anyways, I definitely believe the best way to find people to help clean your house is through friends, family, and neighbors!

Last edited: