Magnetic Necklace Catches

Dec 15, 2008
Has anyone tried magnetic catches? I'm having a harder and harder time using the tiny little catches on some of my pendents. I guess what I mostly want to know is how secure they are.

I'd love to know that, too; I have taken some of my necklaces to the jeweler to have larger lobster claw clasp and ring that it clips into put onto the chain. That is a thought of something you might do.

Thanks, Chessmont! I may end up doing that. It's a real conundrum. I don't want to add length to my pendents with the magnetic catches, but I also don't want to go to the expense of having bigger catches put on platinum and 18k chains. Yes, call me cheap! ;)

I don't have any magnetic clasps, but I have seen them on tv. They are goldtone or silvertone, and I definitely would not trust them on a 18K or platinum chain, especially if you put a pendant on the chain. I think it would be worth the money to change the clasps. I have done it on some 14k gold chains, and it cost me about $20.00.

I have a magnetic clasp on a fairly heavy turquoise three-strand necklace. It seems very secure, yet easy to take off and put on. It only comes apart when I pull it apart though I suppose that if someone grabbed your necklace and pulled it it would come off.

Thanks, Chessmont! I may end up doing that. It's a real conundrum. I don't want to add length to my pendents with the magnetic catches, but I also don't want to go to the expense of having bigger catches put on platinum and 18k chains. Yes, call me cheap! ;)

Well you could go cheapo and get sterling silver and 14K gold - who could tell? After all, those magnetic clasps are certainly not platinum or gold

I need to check on the price for changing clasps, too. Some of the clasps on my necklaces are just getting to be too much of a pain. Given that I use the same chains for many pendants, it might well be worth having the clasps replaced with lobster claws to make them easier to use.