magic coat on the birkins???

Jul 27, 2011
Does anyone heard about a nano coat from a company in Thailand ?According to them they can do spa for the handbags and they can put a waterproof coat on the handbags, I only can watch the videos and can't understand the rest, does any TPF er has this experience? does it exist in europe too ? I am really looking for some waterproof coat for all my handbags if it really works, please help :ty:

There are various leather repair companies in Europe (and I imagine everywhere else around the globe) that can waterproof leather bags and shoes and accessories.

Personally, I would never ever let another company other than Hermes itself touch or fix my Hermes bags.

I "waterproof" my Hermes bags "manually" the good old fashioned way - by keeping a small shawl to wrap around the bag for unexpected rainy day emergencies lol.
I've never used the Hermes bag raincoat.

No tPF members who educated themselves about h refurbish policy would send their bags to a non-h treatment company unless they want to save $225 every few years. Or the person knows that his/her bag isn't authentic to begin with.

I'm afraid I agree with all of the above. Too many horror stories of bags being ruined, and definitely no option for future spa-ing. Not worth it.

Does anyone heard about a nano coat from a company in Thailand ?According to them they can do spa for the handbags and they can put a waterproof coat on the handbags, I only can watch the videos and can't understand the rest, does any TPF er has this experience? does it exist in europe too ? I am really looking for some waterproof coat for all my handbags if it really works, please help :ty:

I have experience of one of these companies and based on that I would say no. In most instances they achieve water proofing by spraying a colour match film over the whole of the bag. I have seen this done to a vintage brown box bag and it was dreadful. The patina was wiped out and replaced by a milky brown, flat colour. Furthermore, in order to get the new colour to bond with the bag they first had to sand the bag. Therefore, if you ever wanted to remove the finish you couldn't as the bag was ruined underneath.

I would also say two more things:

Hermes bags are pretty robust and I have carried togo, clemence, fjord, epsom in all weathers without a hitch. I know rules for box and exotics are different but standard leathers are incredibly resilient.

Building up a layer of a natural polish on box leather (see vintage bags thread) will provide a level of water resistance, will nourish your leather, will not change the colour and will not affect any future spa visits.

I'm really surprised that people are willing to consider this type of outside spa service….When I bought a bag last year from a relatively popular reseller they said, "No worries about the corners, I will have them touched up by the shop around the corner." What???

Interesting article on CNN from a British-based company: Nano-coating provides watertight solution

If you Google the topic... porous surfaces that receive a spray application of nano-coating can be altered in such a way as to be detectable by sight and feel.

Obviously, not everyone is comfortable with this. But... people customize their H with graffiti, spikes, patches, etc., which require them to seek spas at companies other than H. So... if you want to coat your H bags with a nano coat and use a non-H co for any future spas, it's totally up to you. They're your bags, after all, to do with what you will.

On the other hand... if you'd like to use an H spa service for your H bags in the future... a nano coat (or any waterproofing technology) is probably not advisable.

Either way, good luck with your decision. :smile:

ETA: btw, here's a thread on H bags in the rain: Hermes leathers for rainy climates.... posts from 2014 start on page 10 :smile:

Last edited: