Madonna's Heartbreak As She faces Sending Back Baby David

Jan 23, 2006
Madonna is told her little African baby may have to return home

madonna050807_468x563.jpg

Madonna with David Banda, whom she hopes to formally adopt

Madonna's controversial adoption of an African baby was under threat last night amid accusations that the child welfare expert overseeing it has become too close to the case.

Penstone Kilembe has been banned by the Malawian government from travelling to Britain to review the progress of 23-month-old David Banda, who has been in the care of the singer for nine months

Last night Mr Kilembe said the development could result in the adoption being called off.

According to a newspaper report in Malawi, the Minister of Women and Child Development, Kate Kainja, accused him of obtaining an air ticket to London and money from Madonna herself without his government's approval. The minister refused to allow Mr Kilembe to travel to assess the case, accusing him of "personalising" the matter.
She suggested that by accepting funding from Madonna he had compromised his neutrality.
"We have already contacted Madonna that someone else and not Kilembe will come to assess her, because we feel Mr Kilembe personalised the whole issue when other people can go," the Minister told the Malawi News.
The revelation is likely to prove hugely embarrassing to the 48-yearold singer and could halt the adoption process altogether.
Last night Mr Kilembe confirmed that he had been banned from making the trip, but denied that he personally asked the American star for a plane ticket.
He claimed that the decision to exclude him from the final decision on whether or not Madonna is allowed to keep David may result in the child being sent back to Malawi.
"What this means is that the whole adoption process may crumble and David is sent back to his village," he said.
David has been living with Madonna, her film director husband Guy Ritchie and her two children since last October.
The High Court of Malawi originally appointed Mr Kilembe, who is director of Child Welfare Services, to travel to the UK to monitor how David was settling into his new family life. His testimony was expected to be crucial in the final ruling next year on whether the celebrity couple should be allowed to adopt the child permanently.
There was strong speculation that he might judge Madonna's superstar lifestyle and close media attention unsuitable for the youngster.
Last week Mr Kilembe claimed that social services in povertystricken Malawi did not have enough cash to pay for two visits planned to see David in Britain.
A five-day trip in May to Madonna's homes in London and Wiltshire had to be cancelled for lack of money, he said. A first visit was instead scheduled for later this month with a follow-up trip in December.
"We have been unable to travel because of logistical problems," Mr Kilembe said on Friday. "It requires some resources for me to travel."
But if Madonna did try to solve the problem by funding his visits, she risks being accused of hoping to secure a favourable report.
The Malawi minister's anger appears only to complicate her case. Justin Dzonzi, a human rights lawyer who led a 65-member rights group challenge to Madonna's adoption, also said the minister's decision could halt the adoption process.

"The minister cannot change what the court set by having another person to do the assessment. The court will not listen to anyone else apart from the one it appointed," he said. Dzonzi filed the case arguing that Malawi laws forbid international adoption and therefore the government broke its own laws by granting Madonna an interim adoption. A spokesman for Madonna declined to comment.

The Daily Mirror

This adoption has not gone right from the beginning. I only hope that they do what's right for the boy and let him stay with Madonna. She's the only one right now who can give him the best possible care.

WELCOME BACK PRADA. We've missed you! :yahoo:

Hi Prada, welcome back!

On the post; I think this is so sad. The child has been with Madonna for a long time, it´s cruel to take him away now and send him back.

Although she went through this adoption the wrong way, at this point, they shouldnt take the baby away from the family since he's gotten so accustomed to them.

What a heartbreak. I really hope it doesn't happen and that she gets to keep the baby. I'm maybe a bit naive, but I don't see how this is any different than Brad and Angelina with all their kids....is the whole thing with the father "not understanding"?

Ergh. And look at her arms and veiny hands! Oy....:wtf:

That poor little boy is going to be so confused and upset, he has probably just started to settle into life with Madonna and to take him back home would be so cruel. People including Madonna need to put their personal agenda aside and do what is right for this little boy.

This is so sad. He has been with her for almost a year, if he was being mistreated then you would think that they would have send him back to africa.

This adoption has not gone right from the beginning. I only hope that they do what's right for the boy and let him stay with Madonna. She's the only one right now who can give him the best possible care.

WELCOME BACK PRADA. We've missed you! :yahoo:
:yahoo: Welcome back!

And I totally agree! :sad: Madonna needs to care for the boy for the sake of the boy... he can't go back. :sad:

Ultimately at this point I don't think it matters if Madonna went about this whole thing correctly or not. The boy has been placed with her for quite some time and as far as he is concerned, his home is with her. To take him away and send him back into uncertainty and possibly an orphanage would simply be cruel. One cannot yank a child around so much and expect normal social developement.

The best interests of the child must be considered in this case, not the whims of government agencies looking to teach a lesson to a celebrity. If there was ever any doubt that the boy would be placed with her permanently, they never should have allowed him to come to the US in the first place.