Madonna's Adoption Drama

I can give you a different look at the entire Madonna Adoption Drama.

I have a good friend that was adopted by a family in a simular situation. His mother died and his father could not take care of him. A wealthy family came along had an opportunity to build a relationship with him and adopted him. His father had no problems until he fould out how much money these people had, and he wanted money in exchange for his son.Becasue the new family had the money they were able to fight himthrough the legal channels.

Now we are adults the one problem my friend has is he is a black male
raised by a white family in the South. He has had a hard time in social
situations has a child, and now as an adult. His family did not teach him had HARD it sould be. He does not think he was ready for the real world Now he is 36 still has to lean on friends when he comes up against racism. His parents love him but they do not understand and never will.

So I wonder If in the long run this will help or hurt this young man that willcome to live in the USA as a black man. In Madonna's world I know he will be treated well, but she can not protect him from the world and the ugly situations that happen to men with dark skin.

Exactly. :yes: Especially with the racial issues in America.

The reason there is any criticism at all is because she adopted a child from a country that doesn't allow international adoptions. This is a country that says you have to live here while they evaluate you as a parent for 18 months. This is not a country that wants outsiders to adopt their children (from the numbers who are orphaned in this country, it is too bad that they don't allow international adoptions with strict provisions to keep the wrong people from buying children).

Madonna doesn't want to discourage other people from adopting from this region of the the world - then why didn't she adopt from Ethiopia which does allow international adoptions? I think her saying she doesn't want to discourage other people is ridiculous because unless someone else comes along and offers the country 3 million dollars to fund an orphanage, who has a chance of adopting from this place - it's against their own laws.

She brought this whole thing on herself. I'm glad this one child has the chance for a better life but I can't agree with the way she did this. To me it is wrong unless they have changed their laws. Peggy

It is not unusual for some orphanages in some countries to care for children who still have living parents-sort of like extended foster care-think of all the children in this country who have been raised by foster parents (hopefully lovingly) who have two living parents-I personally think it is next to impossible for many of us here to understand the concept of family in a different country, and I have no trouble thinking that when Madonna descended from the heavens and started throwing money around this father was told what a lot of literate and educated people thought it best to tell him-since she knew this child had a living parent, why oh why didn't she simply choose a child who was a true orphan-although I don't doubt there would have been a media frenzy anyway-have we ever heard of any relative of Zahara's speaking up? if so, please clue me in-this is giving adoption a bad spin, that's whats so sad IMO.

I think Zahara's mother is still alive but she chose to have her baby adopted.

new.3.jpg

Celebrities receive preferential treatment in every aspect of their lives. They go into clubs without waiting in line, they get the best tables at restaurants, they have great stuff given to them for free, etc... Why do people seemed shocked or outraged when they hear about the ease of celebrity adoptions. They get this treatment because of their fame. My good friend adopted a little boy several years ago from a woman who gave the child up after birth. The woman received $25,000. Most adoptions happen this way. That's what my friend was told by his attorney.

So what is the issue here that gets people's blood boiling? Is it that money is exchanged? That happens with almost every adoption. That it's Madonna adopting? Maybe she is seen as unfit? That she's a celebrity and rules are bent to accomodate her? This happens all the time with other celebrities as well.

Frankly, all I care about is that a little boy that was more than likely destined to die of malnutrition or disease has been given an opportunity to live a fruitful life surrounded by a family who will love him. That's all anyone can ask for. Madonna has done her part to help by becoming responsible for the welfare of another human being. I'm sure she knows what this entails since she's the mother of two. At least she's using her celebrity to help this child, not to get into the latest hip club.

I think people just overanalyze the @*&# out of everything. She wanted to adopt this boy. She had the means to do so. Enough said.:rolleyes:
wow fendi hunter that was well said.....:yes:

After watching Oprah today I understand why Madonna adopted her son David. She was already setting up her foundation there and why not adopt from a country she's helping out. I was confused at first as why she would adopt from a country that doesn't usually do international adoptions, but it made sense after I watched her in the interview. She explained the situation well. Her son, David, is fortunate to have a new life of health, education, and prosperity. Good for Madonna and Guy.

After watching Oprah today I understand why Madonna adopted her son David. She was already setting up her foundation there and why not adopt from a country she's helping out. I was confused at first as why she would adopt from a country that doesn't usually do international adoptions, but it made sense after I watched her in the interview. She explained the situation well. Her son, David, is fortunate to have a new life of health, education, and prosperity. Good for Madonna and Guy.

I agree, bottom line, this child has a home, medical care & people who love him. It just happens to be Madonna.

What I find most ridiculous about this whole controversy is people questioning why someone would want to adopt from Malawi??

Why WOULDN'T someone want to adopt from Malawi? Not to mention why is it anyone's business why someone chose to adopt from Malawi instead of Tanzania, China, Canada, or wherever else. Everyone has their own reasons for adoption and different places will strike a cord with different people.

I find it absurd that people are actually saying things like, "why do people adopt from overseas when they could adopt a child from their own country", etc, etc.

I have been in the system in Canada and I have also BEEN to Malawi and worked with orphans there and I can tell you that there is NO comparing the two. The conditions in orphanages over there are sometimes so terrible that it's impossible to see it and NOT want to take these children home with you. If it were me and I had the money/power to speed up an adoption then I WOULD....and I wouldn't feel bad about it at all. If my money/celebrity/power, etc. meant a child would suffer even ONE DAY less then it would be worth it to me.

What a world it would be if everyone turned a blind eye to the children of Malawi just because it's "easier" to adopt in other places.

You know what? More power to Madonna for adopting a child who needed a home. That child is going to have a better life than he imagined. Even if it wasn't Madonna and it was just me and I was adopting him, he would have a better life than staying in an orphanage in Malawi.

We all have so much and it is so commendable when someone decides to let someone into their hearts and home. People want to turn this into a controversy, but this is a good thing.

i just hope that david banda and zahara and all other high profile adoptees can grow up and be as normal as their situations allow. not to become symbols or "ambassadors" to their respectives countries, but just to discover their own identities and find their ways in life.

27th October 2006

X-factor judge Sharon Osbourne has given her own verdict on the Madonna adoption row, saying "She bought a baby for God's sake."
Sharon, 53, told US radio host Howard Stern: "It's like getting a Louis Vuitton handbag."
"It's a crock of s***. If she wants to help the kid she should have got the father a little trade going, a fruit stand or something like that and built him a mud hut."
"If the kid is sick then get him a doctor, what was the father supposed to do, he can't read or write."
She added: "She should have left in his own culture, that is what I say."
"Madonna should have given the money to an orphanage, got them a 24-hour paramedic. She bought a baby for God's sake."

It comes as a judge in Malawi adjourned to November, a hearing into an application by child rights groups trying to block the adoption of Malawian David Banda by the pop star. "The hearing has been adjourned...for the judge to hear other parties involved," Madonna's Malawian lawyer Alan Chinula told Reuters after he and counsel for the rights groups met high court judge Andrew Nyirenda in his chambers.