Madonna and the baby

From people:

Madonna: I Offered to Leave David with His Dad

TUESDAY OCTOBER 31, 2006 06:55PM EST
By Brian Orloff

Vieira and Madonna Photo by: Virginia Sherwood / nbc
meredith_vieira.jpg

Madonna has revealed more about her plans to adopt 13-month-old David Banda from Malawi – including that David's father, Yohane Banda, turned down her offer of financial aid to help raise his son – in an interview with Meredith Vieira scheduled to air both on the Today show and Dateline NBC Wednesday.

"When I met (Yohane), I said I would be happy to … to bring (David) back to your village and help you financially raise him," the singer tells Vieira in the interview. "And he said no … I think he truly felt in his heart of hearts that – and who knows if he was telling me the truth – that he would have a better life with me. So, when he said no, that was my sign that it was my responsibility to look after him."

The singer, who faced protests from human rights groups that claimed the law was bent for her and her husband Guy Ritchie, also reveals that the negative attention surrounding the adoption caused her – momentarily – to question her decision.

Asked if she would do things the same way, Madonna answers, "I mean, if you would have asked me a week ago when I was in...the depths of my depression, and just feeling so sad about the state of the world and how negative everybody was, I probably would have said no. But if you ask me today, I would say yes."

The singer, who practices Kabbalah, also addresses how her spiritual practices might influence David, who has been photographed wearing the red-stringed bracelet that is often associated with followers of the religion.

"I believe in Jesus and I study Kabbalah. So, I don't see why he can't too," says Madonna. "The essence of the Kabbalah is the teachings of Jesus. You know, love your neighbor as yourself."

She adds, however, that ultimately the choice will be up to David. "If David decides he wants to be a Christian, then so be it. Studying Kabbalah doesn't mean you can't be a Christian or a Buddhist or a Muslim or a Jew or whatever."

Madonna, who has two children – Lourdes, 10, and Rocco, 6 – also says that David fits right into her family. "He's got a terrible temper. He's very flirtatious. And he's hysterically funny," she says.

When Vieira pointed out that those qualities sounded a lot like Madonna herself, the singer laughed, saying, "I do have a terrible temper. ...I would say that's kind of me, yeah. But obviously he's going to come with his own baggage and his own DNA and I look forward to being surprised by what he's going to offer the world and how he's going to turn out."

How cute!!

I don't see why everyone is freaking out about the red kabbalah string though....she is his parent now and therefore wants to teach him about her religion....that's what parents do and I see nothing wrong with it.

How cute!!

I don't see why everyone is freaking out about the red kabbalah string though....she is his parent now and therefore wants to teach him about her religion....that's what parents do and I see nothing wrong with it.

ITA, people wouldn't be frowning if it was a cross, or a st. christoper medal