Made in...????

daisy999

O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
Has anyone noticed a difference in quality between shoes made in Italy vs Brazil? I know people have complained of diminishing quality when brands have moved their manufacture location to China (which has a bad rap when it comes to quality), but what about when these brands move to other countries aside from China? Have you noticed a difference between Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Brazilian, Indian, etc made shoes?

I recently noticed that one of my favorite brands, Loeffler Randall, has started making shoes in Brazil rather than its usual place in Italy. I don't know if I'm just pulling from too small of a sample pool or if I'm imagining it, but I feel that the Brazilian made shoes are flimsier and just less well made in general. It seems weird because I feel that I've seen brands claim their shoes were "Made in Brazil" with some degree of pride.

Now I understand that the effect of manufacturer location on quality can a bit nebulous since a) there are good and bad craftsmen/women in every country and b) some brands make their products in low cost of labor countries and then finish them in other countries in order to be able to claim the item was "Made in Italy" or other desirable location. However, I am wondering if others, who probably have more experience than me, have seen any general trends or have any other particular thoughts on this issue.

GlamGirly

Smile. Laugh. Love
Jun 20, 2012
I think in general Brazilian quality shoes are very good. I own a few pairs of Brazilian-made heels and they have pretty good stitching, even cuts and are made from decent suede. Like anything else, there are different grades of "quality" and that of course depends on what factory, where and who was contracted to manufacture the shoes.

I personally feel that designer or high-end shoes made in Italy, Spain, Portugal and USA are superior in quality in almost every way. The majority of my shoes are made in either Spain, Italy or Portugal and they are VERY well made and last me for years and years! I recently purchased a pair of IM Bekket sneakers made in Portugal and I am amazed at how every stitch, line, curve, cut and detail is perfectly done and matched up with the other side and other pair evenly. Of course, there are also grades of quality in the above mentioned countries. As an example, I find that my Louboutin heels purchased between 2007 and 2010 are better made than the pairs I purchased in 2011 and 2012. They are still well-made, but there are little details that stand out to me and indicate there has been a slight change or shift in the recent quality of manufacturing--yet they are also "Made in Italy". I also agree with you that Brazilian shoes tend to be a little "flimsier" or "lighter" than say, shoes produced in Italy.

I prefer European-made, but I am always happy to purchase quality goods from any country able to produce them.

Last edited:

daisy999

O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
I think in general Brazilian quality shoes are very good. I own a few pairs of Brazilian-made heels and they have pretty good stitching, even cuts and are made from decent suede. Like anything else, there are different grades of "quality" and that of course depends on what factory, where and who was contracted to manufacture the shoes.

I personally feel that designer or high-end shoes made in Italy, Spain, Portugal and USA are superior in quality in almost every way. The majority of my shoes are made in either Spain, Italy or Portugal and they are VERY well made and last me for years and years! I recently purchased a pair of IM Bekket sneakers made in Portugal and I am amazed at how every stitch, line, curve, cut and detail is perfectly done and matched up with the other side and other pair evenly. Of course, there are also grades of quality in the above mentioned countries. As an example, I find that my Louboutin heels purchased between 2007 and 2010 are better made than the pairs I purchased in 2011 and 2012. They are still well-made, but there are little details that stand out to me and indicate there has been a slight change or shift in the recent quality of manufacturing--yet they are also "Made in Italy". I also agree with you that Brazilian shoes tend to be a little "flimsier" or "lighter" than say, shoes produced in Italy.

I prefer European-made, but I am always happy to purchase quality goods from any country able to produce them.
Thanks for weighing in on this subject. Don't you love a shoe that is impeccably made? Your description of your IM sneakers about the details made me almost giddy.:P I have a pair of heels like that...just perfect...and I could definitely just sit and stare at them. In my opinion, that sort of craftsmanship makes the shoes worth their high cost. It may be my OCD, but it drives me nuts when shoes don't match perfectly. Also, I am glad to see that I'm not the only one who noticed that Brazilian shoes are a bit flimsier than Italian shoes. Perhaps it's not so much a quality issue as much as a country's crafts-people's preference?

GlamGirly

Smile. Laugh. Love
Jun 20, 2012
Thanks for weighing in on this subject. Don't you love a shoe that is impeccably made? Your description of your IM sneakers about the details made me almost giddy.:P I have a pair of heels like that...just perfect...and I could definitely just sit and stare at them. In my opinion, that sort of craftsmanship makes the shoes worth their high cost. It may be my OCD, but it drives me nuts when shoes don't match perfectly. Also, I am glad to see that I'm not the only one who noticed that Brazilian shoes are a bit flimsier than Italian shoes. Perhaps it's not so much a quality issue as much as a country's crafts-people's preference?
I agree. I don't think it is so much a quality issue as it is a difference in manufacturing methods when it comes to Brazilian shoes. Oh man, you should check out a pair of Marant Bekkets...PERFECT! They are so fantastically made. :biggrin: