Made in USA Dooneys

Rstar

O.G.
Feb 17, 2011
Texas
I was wondering which specific dooney bag on dooney website is made in the USA? I'm ready for a new dooney bag. Which dooney is worth getting now? I used to buy dooneys pretty regularly. I ventured into M.kors, Kate spade, and Tory Burch from 2015-last year. Cleaning my closet during the pandemic, now I remember how much joy dooney purses brought to me. I pulled out an old Florentine Saddle bag ( not sure if this saddle bag was even made in the USA) but i think it's like the vintage American equestrian feel that I love. Dooney are also making a comeback on TV shows with Reese Witherspoon and Instagram vintage dooneys. What American dooney bag should I buy now?

IMG_20200723_202516.jpg

Reactions: defeated and OJane
Aug 13, 2014
I think only a very limited number of styles are Made in USA. And, this info is not generally
featured on the web site. In person, bags will have Made in USA tags, if they have been
made here.

In my experience, the Florentine Small satchel has had some colors made in USA, at times.
The tassels on those models (different model # than the other small Flo satchels that were made
elsewhere) had red leather on the underside. The non USA models had the green suede.
Also, the leather collar inside the top of the bag was red leather on the made in USA models,
rather than the green suede.

Sometimes this same style satchel was made in other leathers in limited production in the USA.
I've seen the small satchel in ostrich with made in USA tags and also in Samba pebbled leather.

I'm not aware of any bags now that are made in USA. But.... that doesn't mean they aren't out there.
I always prefer to get a made in USA Dooney if I can.

Reactions: HannaS1001

Rstar

O.G.
Feb 17, 2011
Texas
Darn I must have missed the boat on bags that were on dooney site years ago that were made in the USA. I may look into the alto collection.

Aug 13, 2014
Darn I must have missed the boat on bags that were on dooney site years ago that were made in the USA. I may look into the alto collection.
I love Alto handbags. The leather is beautiful. And Alto is made in Italy.

But.... the fine grained matte nature of the Alto leather does show wear....
think of sturdy saddle leather that wears for years, but show the scratches and
journeys it has traveled.

For many, this is part and parcel of good old fashioned leather, like a leather
briefcase carried for years. But in today's world, it's not to everyone's liking.

Also, the interior design of Alto handbag does not have a lot of function or pockets....
usually, one small phone pocket (think flip phone size), and maybe one small
zip or slip pocket. No key leash. Sometimes the interiors are unlined or partially
lined and the rest is the natural underside of the leather.

Just look at the Alto carefully before buying.... be sure the exterior and interior
style and function meets
your needs. Don't assume it has standard Dooney features. (By the way,
many other high end handbag lbrands have very limited function interior design
also).

I have collected Alto handbags for years. When ever I see a great sale, I try to add one
to my collection if I can. Many of the recent styles don't work for me, but they
are beautiful and I can admire them from afar. And I have been known to make a lot
of style/function compromises to add an Alto that appeals to me from a color, look, and price
standpoint. I really love the quality of the Alto leather. And they are generally beautifully made.
If I can snare an Alto for half off.... I tend to be very 'flexible' in color and style. ;)

(Personal opinion: Most Dooney handbags are beautifully made, no matter where they are manufactured. I've recently added a few Coach handbags to my collection. To me, the Dooney handbags are superior in terms of leather, overall quality, and function. When you add in price as a factor.... there is no contest... Dooney wins every time, in my experience... and that is across the spectrum from their top of the line offerings to their lower priced lines. This doesn't mean Dooney is perfect... I look over new handbags
very carefully).

Personally, I've found the darker Alto colors...
black, dark brown, navy (not seen recently), and plum and Bordeaux..
look the most pristine over time. Lighter colors can show dirt
or stains or wear more easily. Of course if your handbag collection/ life style allows it
you can rotate your handbags and not use the Alto when grocery shopping or other chores when
it might face more handbag challenges (scratches, vegetable sprayer water misters, etc.) then your
handbags will look 'newer' for longer.

Another thing to note about Alto colors.... since the leather tends to be matte...
the darker colors don't reflect the light. When you combine that with the
often clean lines and lack of extra external buckles and tassels, etc, the darker
Alto color handbags are more classic and understated and elegant. I think they are beautiful...
but somewhat of an acquired taste.
Red and saddle color Alto handbags make more
of a statement. Bone, white, blush and other lighter colors are stunning and elegant too.... but at that
price.... I'm afraid of color transfer or other mishap on a really light color.

Over the years, most of my Alto collection is black, red, saddle (because those are the core
colors that Dooney makes year after year). I've added navy, plum, Bordeaux when they become
available, and a coral and a French blue Also when they flashed across the horizon.
Happy shopping.

Reactions: G.Allyn

Rstar

O.G.
Feb 17, 2011
Texas
Wow thank you for sharing your thoughts on Alto. Are Alto heavy in general? They seem lightweight and structured, but dooney bags are heavy. I was looking through Alto Saddle or Sabrina when on sale so only day I plan to add soon.

After I posted this USA question last night, I found the duck crossbody on dooney site that is made in CT. It's a very unusual bag with rubber boot material on it but I probably go with a darker shade.

When you mentioned Samba earlier, which samba bag was made in US? Did anyone of the padlock samba bags were from US?

You are absolutely right about no matter if it's not made in US, the dooney bags are far superior to other brands I have experienced. Dooney's replacement policy is still unbeatable. I may do a replacement trade this month to get half the value of one of my original bag of mine that needs repair.

Aug 13, 2014
Alto bags are generally not especially heavy. Even though the leather is thick and and the bags are structured,
they seem to be lighter weight for the size. Alto bags are lighter than Florentine bags, in my experience.
I think that's because the Alto styles don't contain a lot of extra
ornamentation. Larger Alto bags can get heavy. I got the Alto Luciana recently and it's larger and heavier
than I expected. Sometimes the weight is listed and that helps.

The Alto Sabrina is one of my favorite styles. It's the perfect size satchel for me
and I love the lines of the bag. BTW the Dooney Sydney satchel is very similar to the Alto Sabrina. The Sydney
is now available in saffiano leather, but in the past it did come in pebbled leather too. I don't love Saffiano
leather, but the pebbled leather version was nice. (The Saffiano looks good, reflects light and color nicely,
but I don't like the feel of coated leathers, like Saffiano. That's just personal preference).

The Samba bags that were made in USA were not the ones with the padlock from a few years ago. The Sambas I was referring to were in the style of the Florentine Small satchel (tassels on the side, zip foldover top, whip stitch handles, belting detail), but done in Samba leather. They were very limited availability.... some showed up at the outlets and some online. I don't know if they were made exclusively for some major retailer. Dooney often makes a style in a specific leather as an exclusive for Dillards or Macys, etc.

Rstar

O.G.
Feb 17, 2011
Texas
When I love dooney had their summer sale, I snatched up this USA florentine small satchel in elephant color. Well she arrived today in the mail!! And I have it side by side with my navy pebbled leather small satchel that I got during 12 days of dooney back in 2015. This is my second dooney purchase since 2015. First purchase I bought days ago being a dooney pebbled grain wallet posted under small leather goods thread.
Anyway I'm in move with my elephant small satchel and it made me fall in love with Dooney's again!!!! The smell is scrumptious and I have nowhere to go to show my small satchel because of shelter in place you ladies get the first viewing.

Attachments

G.Allyn

Dec 12, 2013
When I love dooney had their summer sale, I snatched up this USA florentine small satchel in elephant color. Well she arrived today in the mail!! And I have it side by side with my navy pebbled leather small satchel that I got during 12 days of dooney back in 2015. This is my second dooney purchase since 2015. First purchase I bought days ago being a dooney pebbled grain wallet posted under small leather goods thread.
Anyway I'm in move with my elephant small satchel and it made me fall in love with Dooney's again!!!! The smell is scrumptious and I have nowhere to go to show my small satchel because of shelter in place you ladies get the first viewing.
The elephant bag is beautiful. Enjoy!

Aug 13, 2014
Enjoy your new Dooney treasure. Glad you were able to find a made in USA satchel.

Reactions: Nancy in VA