Made in the USA

Feb 22, 2009
Hi, all! So my older Speedy 25 was produced in 2006 and says 'Made in the USA' on the vachetta tab....no cloth tag. The cloth tag does not bother me personally, but I do notice that this old Speedy of mine seems to be of a little higher quality. Anyone else notice this? What year did the quality start to decline? I ask as I am looking around for a preloved bag.

Last edited:
I am curious about this myself since I'm considering investing in an older Speedy & then going for vachetta/handle replacement since I do not like the cloth tags on the newer ones

The cloth tag didn't start until 2011.
I believe the quality started going down about 2005.
Some might say even earlier.
I have a Speedy that was made in 2004 and the quality is so different than today's Speedy quality.

I am curious about this myself since I'm considering investing in an older Speedy & then going for vachetta/handle replacement since I do not like the cloth tags on the newer ones

If you look hard you can find a nice older speedy that doesn't need a handle replacement.
Here is my Speedy it's a 2004. The NF is from 2007 I bought both preloved. ;)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPurseForum1406230080.906936.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1406230080.906936.jpg
    697.3 KB · Views: 621
Thanks! So should I look for one that is made in France or is made in the USA good if older and 'Made in the USA' is on the vachetta with NO cloth tag?

I prefer made in France but I think the quality of the made in France and the made in USA are the same..
And yes before the cloth tag the vachetta tag said. "made in USA". :smile:
After 2011 it just says "Louis Vuitton Paris" I believe.
Good luck!

Hello TPF members. When you say the quality has gone down, what do you mean specifically? Could you please give some examples as I have just recently started collecting LV (for the past 2 years) and I am not noticing any quality issues that would prevent me from making future purchases.

Hello TPF members. When you say the quality has gone down, what do you mean specifically? Could you please give some examples as I have just recently started collecting LV (for the past 2 years) and I am not noticing any quality issues that would prevent me from making future purchases.

The quality of the canvas.. Newer bags have thinner canvas not as durable. Many bags have had cracking issues.
Also the hardware. A lot of it is mismatched and peels very quickly.
I'm sure others can chime in too.

The quality of the canvas.. Newer bags have thinner canvas not as durable. Many bags have had cracking issues.
Also the hardware. A lot of it is mismatched and peels very quickly.
I'm sure others can chime in too.

Thanks! I guess I have been lucky, knock on wood, I have not had any problems with my bags outside of normal wear and tear. Do you think the thinner canvas is on the more popular bags, like the speedy's and nerverfull's? The reason I ask because my trivoli gm canvas is pretty thick, much thicker than my neverfull for example.

The cloth tag didn't start until 2011.
I believe the quality started going down about 2005.
Some might say even earlier.
I have a Speedy that was made in 2004 and the quality is so different than today's Speedy quality.

Awesome to know, thank you! I lucked out then since my NF is 2011 so must have been one of the last made without a cloth tag

If you look hard you can find a nice older speedy that doesn't need a handle replacement.
Here is my Speedy it's a 2004. The NF is from 2007 I bought both preloved. ;)

I'm definitely planning to scout for a preloved DA Speedy so great to know any year before 2011 will work & that early/mid 2000's may be most desirable ❤

Last edited:
Thanks! I guess I have been lucky, knock on wood, I have not had any problems with my bags outside of normal wear and tear. Do you think the thinner canvas is on the more popular bags, like the speedy's and nerverfull's? The reason I ask because my trivoli gm canvas is pretty thick, much thicker than my neverfull for example.

Yes.. I'm speaking of the Speedy and Neverfull mostly.

The canvas on the new Speedy B is sooo thin, I heard it somewhere on Youtube that the azur canvas is so thin that you can see thru light....

Happiness is not about how much you have, but how little you need.