Made in Italy by Chinese Immigrants

There was an article about this in the Los Angeles Times a while back:

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/feb/20/world/fg-madeinitaly20

There is a consortium of 65 brands that have made a commitment to not use Chinese labor. Their workers are Italian craftspeople who used to do this type of work for all of the luxury brands. You can read about this consortium in the article. At least there are some brands that don't try to cut corners.

What's illegal?

Sweatshops. My point is that I don't care what the nationality is of the people who make my handbags, but I do care that these people work in decent conditions, get paid a decent wage, etc. China has a history of having very low standards or turning a blind eye to workers' conditions. Western Europe on the other hand has a long history of workers' unions. I'm not saying there are no sweatshops in Western Europe or even the US, but they are illegal and the laws are enforced.

If this is really true, I feel I will never spend a fortune on a bag again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the truth is, a Prada that says made in Italy, is being made in a factory in China next to a factory where Marc Jacobs bags are being made, then I can't see justifying paying $1300 vs. $400!!!!!!!!! If the USA has lost it's desire for honest merchandising, then they have lost a high buying consumer!

We should just sticky this thread, because it finds a way to resurface again and again...

If these companies desired to set the record straight, once and for all, they would simply post some virtual tour of their factory or pictures. It's called transparency, when "the people" are unhappy with their governments they ask for some :amuse:. In that way the rumors wouldn't surface ever so often and consumers could feel much more confident in their expensive purchases.

Secondly, these threads always rub me the wrong way. The Chinese seem rather stigmatized in poster's sentiments. Just because a good is crafted in China, doesn't mean that it is less quality than a product made in Italy and this applies also to the craftsman's nationality. Now, if the commenters were actually suspecting China of human rights violations and not wanting their goods at the expense of others oppression, then maybe I would find their response less prejudice. However, that is generally not what the argument it.

ITA with bdrmflr. Out of curiosity, does it make a difference if the chinese factory is not a sweatshop but a factory with conditions comparable to Italian factories? Would you ladies then be wiling to pay as much for a "made in china" bag as a "made in italy" bag? It's interesting that these threads use phrases such as "chinese labor" and "italian craftsman." Can there not be chinese craftsmen as well? Factory conditions are not always a reflection of workmanship.

ITA with bdrmflr. Out of curiosity, does it make a difference if the chinese factory is not a sweatshop but a factory with conditions comparable to Italian factories? Would you ladies then be wiling to pay as much for a "made in china" bag as a "made in italy" bag? It's interesting that these threads use phrases such as "chinese labor" and "italian craftsman." Can there not be chinese craftsmen as well? Factory conditions are not always a reflection of workmanship.

:goodpost: And I say that as an Italian.