Made in France!

it was at one point since the 1950s apparently a quality standard established in the worlds most universal languagge and so H jumped on the MADE IN ......... wagon at some point this is what i could find out afetr a bit of reaserch but i agree EN FRANCE sounds nicer !!!!

Last edited:
I think OP means, why is "Made in France" not "Fabrique en France".

I think that would be cool too if they did stamp H bags like that =)
It would be cool wouldn't it!

Oops I think u're right. Hmm it's too early for me to reply to forums lol, manage to embarrass myself sorry littleblackbag :smile:.
Thats OK :biggrin:

it was at one point since the 1950s apparently a quality standard established in the worlds most universal languagge and so H jumped on the MADE IN ......... wagon at some point this is what i could find out afetr a bit of reaserch but i agree EN FRANCE sounds nicer !!!!

Ahh OK, thanks for that Birkel.

It just suddenly occurred to me this evening that the "Made In" bit was in English. I think they should bring it back in French!

Wasn't it some post-war thing for the discerning tourists (especially from the US) 'Made in Italy', 'Made in France' and 'Made in Spain' because mark of quality and a badge of honour?

I think it might be because the US required goods to have "Made in wherever" on items for longer than most countries. I recall a reference to this in Dana Thomas's book "DeLuxe" where she recounted scenes of workers removing "Made in China" labels, as they were not required in most places. Most EU countries do not require any info on country of origin. There was this WSJ article about this topic:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704062604576105691622922576

First 3 paras:

BRUSSELS—A proposal that would force companies to slap "Made in" labels on billions of euros in goods sold in the European Union has split the bloc's southern manufacturing base from big, mostly northern, multinational companies that sell items imported from abroad.

Trade experts say the idea's popularity in the EU—it has been approved by the EU Parliament and the European Commission—reflects concerns over a struggling economy and losing jobs to foreign competition.

It is odd that the heavily regulated EU doesn't already have country-of-origin labeling. Similar tags are mandated around the world, including in Japan and China, as a way to help domestic producers compete against foreign manufacturers. The U.S. has had origin labeling since the 1930s. Roughly a quarter of consumers make choices based on where a product was made, according to EU surveys.

I think it might be because the US required goods to have "Made in wherever" on items for longer than most countries. I recall a reference to this in Dana Thomas's book "DeLuxe" where she recounted scenes of workers removing "Made in China" labels, as they were not required in most places. Most EU countries do not require any info on country of origin. There was this WSJ article about this topic:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704062604576105691622922576

First 3 paras:

BRUSSELS—A proposal that would force companies to slap "Made in" labels on billions of euros in goods sold in the European Union has split the bloc's southern manufacturing base from big, mostly northern, multinational companies that sell items imported from abroad.

Trade experts say the idea's popularity in the EU—it has been approved by the EU Parliament and the European Commission—reflects concerns over a struggling economy and losing jobs to foreign competition.

It is odd that the heavily regulated EU doesn't already have country-of-origin labeling. Similar tags are mandated around the world, including in Japan and China, as a way to help domestic producers compete against foreign manufacturers. The U.S. has had origin labeling since the 1930s. Roughly a quarter of consumers make choices based on where a product was made, according to EU surveys.
+1

I think this could be the case that some countries required declaration of country of origin. However, in some instances goods made with parts produced in other countries, say China, but assembled in say Italy can be declared Made in Italy (I think after certain percentages). Years ago when I used to buy LV in the 80s and 90s, they were made in France and then they started to be made in Spain which caused a bit of an uproar by the customers.

Now why it's in English, I can't say but more for universal language?