Mad Men - Season 6

January is/was pregnant so IDC if Betty's fat. Missed the discussion about the rape. When did it happen and what was it about? I wasn't really paying attention to their household, just spent those 5 minutes wondering who the girl was.

I love Megan, sue me. She's much nicer than Betty and easier on the eyes.

I love Megan too! But clearly that's not going to last for long as she doesn't seem the type to stick with a cheating man.

Does anyone know if JJones is still pregnant? When she was talking with the girl in the kitchen, it definitely looked like she might have a preggo belly with how it was sticking out under her housecoat.

The rape conversation was probably about half an hour into the show....Betty was getting into bed with Henry and commented that Henry had the same look on his face as Don Jr when the girl was playing the violin, and "you should be ashamed of yourself, she's a year older than Sally." I think he took it as a joke at first, but she went on saying that she was just in the other room, he could go rape her if he wanted. He was like "Betty what the hell?" But she STILL went on, saying he could stuff a rag in her throat and asked if it would bother having her there, if so she could take Sally for a ride in a car. Just a really odd, absurd conversation for Betty. At one point I think she mentioned that he had wanted to spice up their love life, so maybe it was her idea of some sick joke? I didn't get it at all.

January Jones had her baby a while ago, don't know if she was still pregnant when this season was filmed. The whole rape conversation was bizarre, unless the writers are setting Betty up to go completely psycho.

It was kind of lame to show Don just cheating on Megan without too much buildup, since we've all been wondering when he would relapse.

January Jones had her baby a while ago, don't know if she was still pregnant when this season was filmed. The whole rape conversation was bizarre, unless the writers are setting Betty up to go completely psycho.

It was kind of lame to show Don just cheating on Megan without too much buildup, since we've all been wondering when he would relapse.

at least they could have established the character a bit so some of us wouldn't be going "who's that?"

I read something today that the actress playing don's new cheating partner is Linda Cardellini (from ER and Freaks and Geeks). I didn't recognize her at all they way they had her made up with the dark hair.

Last edited:
I agree the rape 'joke' scene was just odd. Made me feel very uncomfortable. I kept thinking it's done but she kept adding more and I didn't know what to think when she was done. And her husband just laughed like it was nothing.

I sense Don feels resentment towards actress Megan. He's clearly bored with her.

I love Megan too! But clearly that's not going to last for long as she doesn't seem the type to stick with a cheating man.

Does anyone know if JJones is still pregnant? When she was talking with the girl in the kitchen, it definitely looked like she might have a preggo belly with how it was sticking out under her housecoat.

The rape conversation was probably about half an hour into the show....Betty was getting into bed with Henry and commented that Henry had the same look on his face as Don Jr when the girl was playing the violin, and "you should be ashamed of yourself, she's a year older than Sally." I think he took it as a joke at first, but she went on saying that she was just in the other room, he could go rape her if he wanted. He was like "Betty what the hell?" But she STILL went on, saying he could stuff a rag in her throat and asked if it would bother having her there, if so she could take Sally for a ride in a car. Just a really odd, absurd conversation for Betty. At one point I think she mentioned that he had wanted to spice up their love life, so maybe it was her idea of some sick joke? I didn't get it at all.

As I read this it occurs to me that maybe she said this out of resentment that Henry was unhappy with their love life?

I don't know. I think the Betty scenes are awful. They just seem randomly thrown in so that Betty is still on the show. No real reason for them. I can't believe she would have gone to that place to look for the girl, let alone stayed as long as she seemed to. I think that Betty is somewhat irrelevant to this show anymore.

I think that Betty is somewhat irrelevant to this show anymore.

I agree, it's like they're dragging her out just because January has a contract. I honestly don't see the point of Sally, except to cause trouble for Betty (who I don't see the purpose of).

I guess she's another example of what happens when Don leaves someone? Her life isn't great, his brother commits suicide and so on. I don't know, I'd have her appear once or twice a season if necessary.

All of the below I get from reading Alan Sepinwall's reviews on a weekly basis from a few seasons back. He is an amazing reviewer for the show by the way, and I feel like I have gained new insights (or possibilities) into the show from his writings.

-

at least they could have established the character a bit so some of us wouldn't be going "who's that?"

I don't see this as much of a problem, and they did sufficient to establish that the woman is basically a neighbour and the wife of a man he respects. It doesn't matter who the person is, just that no matter how young or beautiful his wife is, Don Draper is a serial cheater. He did say in bed with the neighbour that he wants to stop though.

Also, this is possibly the first time he is cheating so close to home. In the past with Betty, it has always been women in the city, away from his home.

-

Sally's calling her mother 'Betty' is one of the ways in which they are showing us her teenage rebellion and growing up phrase. Sally has actually shown increasing signs of teenagehood since the last season actually.

Sarah (Sally's friend) is an example of holding true to Betty's habit of taking care of children with absent parents. The other being Glenn from past seasons, until she stopped it when it got too much.

-

Peggy is awesome, and her role as a boss showed traits that are very Don-Draper-esque, unsurprising because he was his mentor and a role model (of sorts). I wasn't bothered by it much because even today, women are expected to act like men to be taken seriously in some industries, so back in those days it had to be really tough to be considered a superior.

-

There is about a 8 month gap between end of season 5 and start of season 6 (April to December 1967). The hairstyles/facial hair and rapidly changing opinions and behaviour have got to be attributed to the Summer of Love (mentioned in the advertisement for oven cleaner in the creatives' room) and the release of Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band featuring new hairstyles vastly different from that in their previous albums.

-

From past seasons, we know that the first few episodes would always be very slow-moving with seemingly non-consequential scenes filling in the time. But it is ALWAYS a set-up; emotions and expectations of characters explored before it blows up in everyone's faces.

I think one of the past seasons was slow-moving until episode 10 or so, but the train wreck was amazing to watch. I still have faith in the series I guess.

All of the below I get from reading Alan Sepinwall's reviews on a weekly basis from a few seasons back. He is an amazing reviewer for the show by the way, and I feel like I have gained new insights (or possibilities) into the show from his writings.

-

I don't see this as much of a problem, and they did sufficient to establish that the woman is basically a neighbour and the wife of a man he respects. It doesn't matter who the person is, just that no matter how young or beautiful his wife is, Don Draper is a serial cheater. He did say in bed with the neighbour that he wants to stop though.

Also, this is possibly the first time he is cheating so close to home. In the past with Betty, it has always been women in the city, away from his home.

-

Sally's calling her mother 'Betty' is one of the ways in which they are showing us her teenage rebellion and growing up phrase. Sally has actually shown increasing signs of teenagehood since the last season actually.

Sarah (Sally's friend) is an example of holding true to Betty's habit of taking care of children with absent parents. The other being Glenn from past seasons, until she stopped it when it got too much.

-

Peggy is awesome, and her role as a boss showed traits that are very Don-Draper-esque, unsurprising because he was his mentor and a role model (of sorts). I wasn't bothered by it much because even today, women are expected to act like men to be taken seriously in some industries, so back in those days it had to be really tough to be considered a superior.

-

There is about a 8 month gap between end of season 5 and start of season 6 (April to December 1967). The hairstyles/facial hair and rapidly changing opinions and behaviour have got to be attributed to the Summer of Love (mentioned in the advertisement for oven cleaner in the creatives' room) and the release of Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band featuring new hairstyles vastly different from that in their previous albums.

-

From past seasons, we know that the first few episodes would always be very slow-moving with seemingly non-consequential scenes filling in the time. But it is ALWAYS a set-up; emotions and expectations of characters explored before it blows up in everyone's faces.

I think one of the past seasons was slow-moving until episode 10 or so, but the train wreck was amazing to watch. I still have faith in the series I guess.

Maybe it had to do with the look of her (plus she was in only one scene) but when I saw Don in bed with the neighbor I didn't immediately recognize her. Someone else here on TPF said the same thing.