Macy's - Insulting SA!

wow, that is one messed up SA, i would've had a fit in the store... of course knowing myself i would've said something back... lol... i would've said i buy nothing except the REAL thing, and said do you want me to prove it to you? ... geez, do COACH owners have to walk around w/their bags open to show the style # to everyone to indicate that its real or what? LOL Sorry you had a bad shopping experience! :sad:

Regardless of whether or not she knows product, that is no way to talk to a potential customer. Even if someone walked up to the counter with a hideously fake bag-you want to make a sale to them, don't you? Are you really going to call them on it? I mean-isn't it just common sense that you want to schmooze a little? Even if you don't want to make a sale (and why wouldn't you?)-as an employee, you should know better than to just randomly attack customers verbally. Call the manager....this behavior is beyond unacceptable!

I've mentioned on here before two summers ago I did an internship with Coach where I worked mostly out of a Macy's Coach Shop in South Florida.

The ONLY time an SA was allowed to suggest the bag is not authentic is if the client is trying to return the bag. And even in that case we usually had to get a manager to deal with the customer. People will swap tags from a real bag and put it on a fake. It's disgusting.

But in defense of the SA, retailers such as Macy's and Nordstrom's do not get the same training SA's at Coach do. The training they go through is the same as the person selling Nike Activewear on the second floor.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I would be humiliated. If it happened to me I don't know how I would react. And then maybe give her a crash course in what to look for on a real bag.

I'm so sorry that happened to you! It's funny the way that different SA's approach things. Obviously, you have a beautiful bag that is 100% authentic - and anyone who bothers to glance at the Coach counter in Macys/Dillards, etc. would recognize it in a glance. As an interesting compare and contrast that's a little embarrassing for me, but shows how an SA can deal with someone who actually has an "inspired" :rolleyes: bag - about 16 years ago I was given a fake Louis Vuitton as a gift for HS grad. I was a devoted Coach collector already, and had no clue what to look for in Louis Vuitton. Went to Saks to buy a matching wallet, and figured out in about 2 seconds that I was carrying a fake! In public! At Saks, of all places! :blink: The SA at the LV counter could tell that I was so embarrassed, and spent about 30 minutes educating me in a very nice way on how to spot fake Louis Vuitton, the history of the brand, gave me a catalog, etc. I went on to buy from her over the next few year: a speedy 30, a speedy 35, a petit noe, a checkbook wallet, an agenda, and a french purse. She could have blown off the ignorant 18 year old, but instead chose to take some time with me. Payoff for me: I could easily spot fakes; Payoff for her: I spent all my HS grad money buying from her! I went on to spend quite a few years in retail, and even now my job relies on good CS. I always remember her and how she recommended things for me that were suited for my style at the time, and how she treated me so kindly.

So, short story long ;) that SA not only lost you as a potential customer, with a history of purchasing authentic and top of the line Coach products, she's also going to lose any potential buyers who might come in carrying a designer imposter bag, and just not be aware of it. Some people just don't know, and when they get the real thing, they're hooked! You should report her to the manager - she treated you very shabbily, and she's not a good representative of the store.

I hope they send you some Macy's bucks - maybe a new Coach treat for spring??? :P

I'm so sorry that happened to you! It's funny the way that different SA's approach things. Obviously, you have a beautiful bag that is 100% authentic - and anyone who bothers to glance at the Coach counter in Macys/Dillards, etc. would recognize it in a glance. As an interesting compare and contrast that's a little embarrassing for me, but shows how an SA can deal with someone who actually has an "inspired" :rolleyes: bag - about 16 years ago I was given a fake Louis Vuitton as a gift for HS grad. I was a devoted Coach collector already, and had no clue what to look for in Louis Vuitton. Went to Saks to buy a matching wallet, and figured out in about 2 seconds that I was carrying a fake! In public! At Saks, of all places! :blink: The SA at the LV counter could tell that I was so embarrassed, and spent about 30 minutes educating me in a very nice way on how to spot fake Louis Vuitton, the history of the brand, gave me a catalog, etc. I went on to buy from her over the next few year: a speedy 30, a speedy 35, a petit noe, a checkbook wallet, an agenda, and a french purse. She could have blown off the ignorant 18 year old, but instead chose to take some time with me. Payoff for me: I could easily spot fakes; Payoff for her: I spent all my HS grad money buying from her! I went on to spend quite a few years in retail, and even now my job relies on good CS. I always remember her and how she recommended things for me that were suited for my style at the time, and how she treated me so kindly.

So, short story long ;) that SA not only lost you as a potential customer, with a history of purchasing authentic and top of the line Coach products, she's also going to lose any potential buyers who might come in carrying a designer imposter bag, and just not be aware of it. Some people just don't know, and when they get the real thing, they're hooked! You should report her to the manager - she treated you very shabbily, and she's not a good representative of the store.

I hope they send you some Macy's bucks - maybe a new Coach treat for spring??? :P

What a great story and fabulous SA! Her service is what brought you back! I hope Macy's does something to rectify the situation. I'm a very loyal customer and have bought a number of things from them recently (including lot of clothes, holiday gifts and a mattress). :yes: