Tech MacBook Pro 17" or 15"? Help!

featherie

Moving to Ireland!
Aug 17, 2009
Hey there! I tried searching for this, but MacBook had a lot of threads, and most were at least 10 + pages. I'm already a Mac user, so I didn't need advice on why I should get one, I'm just curious about size.

I'm considering the 17" because I've never had a larger laptop, and the new MacBook graphics and resolution are AMAZING. However, as much as I try to picture a 17" MacBook, I can't see it being TOO cumbersome- or is it?

I don't plan on lugging it to school every day, but on the rare occasion that I would, I would hope I could fit it into something. Obviously, the 15" is the safe, middle of the road option, but it's about a $300 difference between the sizes (with my education discount) so I was kind of thinking 'what the heck?'

Last edited:
I have a 17" HP laptop and I can't stand it. It might as well be a desktop because of it's size, my husband can sit with it on his lap comfortably, but I can't. For me it's just not very portable, it seems to big to take anywhere. It works well, I just don't care for the size. When we just bought our newest laptop we went with a 15" macbook pro because it works out the best for me. I feel like goldilocks, a 13" seemed to small and a 17" was too big, but 15 is just right.

I have the 15" MacBook Pro, I thought about going for the 17" but I couldn't justify the difference in price for what I couldn't see as $200 more worth of computer.

You're probably right. A 15" is most likely the best option for me also. I'm just debating with myself too much. I really don't NEED a screen that size. I do use aperture for photo editing and while the larger screen would be nice, it isn't really a necessity.

I have a 15" inch macbook pro, I thought it was big at first but then I got used to it.. It fits in my large bags so that's good.. I think the 17" is way too big and I doubt it would fit in hand bags.. You'll probably have to put it in a separate laptop bag or carry it in your arms.. Good luck deciding!

17" is a whole lotta MacBook Pro. Personally 15" is probably as large as I'd go. If I needed a bigger screen, I'd look at an external monitor. My sister had a 17" when she was in college and it was a pain to take to class when she needed to.

Do you live near an Apple Store you could go to and compare them?

Unless you're going to strictly use it as a desk laptop, go with the 15. 17 inch notebooks are just too cumbersome to use on your lap or on anything besides a flat table surface.

I've had both a 17 inch & a 15 inch MacBook. The 17 inch is definitely a lot more power and the resolution is GORGEOUS!! But do you really need it? I actually sold mine and got a 15 inch but then I had the top of the line 17 inch and I couldn't justify having it when I don't use much of the omph. I do all my photo editing and aperture stuff on the 15 inch. I only recommend the 17 inch if you really need the extra power. The 15 inch it self is pretty cumbersome to carry around. I ended up getting a MacBook Air for portability & I use my 15 inch when I need a real laptop.

I've got the 15" MacBook Pro and almost wish I'd gone for the smaller 13" inch. The 15" is a bit more comfortable, I'd guess, but it is still a whole lotta computer.

The 17" is a lot of screen. Unless you're doing a lot of photo and video editing I'd recommend the 15" if you just want something for browsing, a little iphoto and basic mac needs. Even the 13" is fantastic. I work for an Apple reseller and I've played with all the models. I own the 13" (because I have a 24" iMac for editing) and love it, but if you're sure you don't want to go that small I'd stick with the 15".

I had a 17" D(h)ell that actually worked out great around the house. I loved the large screen and just bought a 13" laptop to take with me when I traveled. I didn't have any issues using the larger one on my lap - it was only about 5 lbs.

The 17" was replaced by a 15" and I miss the screen size. JMHO.

i have a 13" since you don't plan on lugging it around everywhere you can get a 17" but a 17" is so huge I even think a 15" is huge I plan on getting a 15" mbp in the very distinct future. i'd go for the 15"

I just had this debate last week. I'm a graphic designer, so the 13" was out of the question -- not enough surface area when designing. I decided that the 17" was just too large, so I bought the 15". IMO, the perfect size!