• Macbook Pro

• Macbook Air

Results are only viewable after voting.

Coach+Louislove

Ducks for the Cup!
O.G.
Aug 4, 2008
Hey everyone.

I was asking for a Macbook Air for Christmas, but now am wondering if the Pro is a better idea. I have a Dell laptop that I just got last year that I would still be using, it has a disc drive, etc. I heard that the Air doesn't have a disc drive, but since my Dell does, that's not a huge issue for me. The reason I am asking for a new laptop for Christmas is because I want one that is more portable. I go back and forth between my parent's houses and travel a bit so I want one that's small and easily portable. I wouldn't be doing too much on it, maybe iTunes, pictures (I like how it has a built in webcam so it would be easy for me to Skype with my best friend and I like iPhoto), Facebook, and that's really about all probably.
Which one would everyone suggest? The Air or the Pro?

Thanks!

If that truly is all you're going to use it for, I would go for the Air no problem. It's much lighter than the Pro, and from everything I've read it handles all applications just fine. If you are sure you don't need a disk drive, I recommend the Pro.

I went into an Apple store and just played with closing an Air...and opening it. Closing and opening. That sucker turns on fast. I also picked it up with one hand a number of times. I was covetous.

Between the 2, I will always choose the Pro. Sure your usage starts off casually and then you start loading it down with tons of pictures, videos, movies, music and before you know it you'll need something more powerful. That's just my .02 though.

I have an Air, and it's perfect. I used it as my main and only computer for a year and a half or so and it more than fills my needs.

the lack of disc drive has never been a problem, I just own the external one and pop it in when I need it, problem solved.

I love my Air so much, I'm dying for one of the new, smaller ones, even though my Air is still perfect and I have zero need for it.

and like vendrazi said, my Air is much faster at starting up and shutting down and coming back from sleeping than the Pro I have as my laptop at work now. much, much faster.

No, they've stopped doing the backlighted keyboard. One of the tech blogs was speculating that the mechanism for doing that took up too much space (height), so they got rid of it to get the thickness down.

I have a pro and I love it too, its awesome. Between the 2 I really can't say which is better but if your basing it on price I would go for the Air because it is cheaper.

Air! I would have problems with the lack of disk drive and storage place but if you have another computer to fill those needs and are looking for something portable I would def. recommend the Air. I'm looking at getting one myself.

After traveling with my iPad and a keyboard for a week (I bring the keyboard for when I have heavy-duty writing), I really want an Air now. Ultra-light, full keyboard, instant wake up, and a full Mac... That would be NICE.

I need a new machine like a hole in the head, but I can't stop thinking about it!