Tech Macbook Air Font

May 27, 2006
I received a 13 inch MacBook Air for Christmas. Love it! However, the website font was really small -I had to wear my glasses. Googled it & found this seems to be an Apple 'issue'? Anyway, found out how to fix it so I don't have to use my glasses every time I'm online. However, now that it is large, I don't like how the font LOOKS! Ick. Some fonts are just not pretty big. They look fine at 12, but not at 18. I thought I was changing the fonts where I changed the size (I can pick different ones) but despite changing from Georgia to Times to Verdana, every webpage looks the same. Facebook in particular looks horrendous. I'd rather use my phone.....

Any ideas?

I received a 13 inch MacBook Air for Christmas. Love it! However, the website font was really small -I had to wear my glasses. Googled it & found this seems to be an Apple 'issue'? Anyway, found out how to fix it so I don't have to use my glasses every time I'm online. However, now that it is large, I don't like how the font LOOKS! Ick. Some fonts are just not pretty big. They look fine at 12, but not at 18. I thought I was changing the fonts where I changed the size (I can pick different ones) but despite changing from Georgia to Times to Verdana, every webpage looks the same. Facebook in particular looks horrendous. I'd rather use my phone.....

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure on websites, it is easy to switch font sizes by just hitting "command" and the "+" sign or "-" sign. Switch everything back to default sizes for your web browser and just trying using that until you find a size that works better...that's what I did on my 13" MacBook Pro.

Any ideas?

you don't say what browser you are using. on Firefox, you can override website fonts with the ones you select by going to preferences --> content --> advanced button --> unclick "allow pages to choose their own font" box. on Safari, you can set the minimum size of fonts displayed (e.g. not less than 12 pt, etc...). go to preferences --> advanced. hope that helps.

you can also try changing the resolution on your monitor so it will display all things bigger.

Thanks. I'm on Safari & I've got the size thing covered, but what about the font itself? Facebook in particular looks horrendous with the font bigger -it drives me crazy. Is there any way to change the actual font on websites?

Have you tried changing the font/size in Safari preferences?

Many sites override default font choices. TPF just changed their font, as a matter of fact. I always have to do cmd-+ on sites to increase the font size.

Another thing you can do is double-tap over a piece of text, and the entire web page increases. Sometimes this solves the problem, sometimes it doesn't. Give that a try.

^^ I think you're right about the website override. One of the techies at the Genius Bar at Apple said the website owner chooses the font. *sigh* Oh well. I'll just have to live with it. I do the command + & that definitely helps me to see it better.

^^ I think you're right about the website override. One of the techies at the Genius Bar at Apple said the website owner chooses the font. *sigh* Oh well. I'll just have to live with it. I do the command + & that definitely helps me to see it better.

you can do it even faster, there is a trackpad shortcut on macs for zooming in and out.

this might be hard to explain but if you take your fingers that you scroll with and instead of moving down, move them out and in on a diagonal. kind of like if you did a peace sign with your fingers and the opened and closed the peace sign.

Slightly on topic... but is it possible to install different fonts onto a Mac? I'd love to try to do so if anyone knows how? TIA :smile:

I know how to for Adobe programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator. You just Google font websites and there are usually two options for download: PC and Mac. As for regular fonts you can use in say, WordPerfect or Microsoft Word, I'm sure has a similar option.

I know how to for Adobe programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator. You just Google font websites and there are usually two options for download: PC and Mac. As for regular fonts you can use in say, WordPerfect or Microsoft Word, I'm sure has a similar option.

Thanks! I'll have to give that a try over the upcoming days as my internet is connected at the new house soon :smile: